Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Buying an international SIM card once in Germany

Buying an international SIM card once in Germany

Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Buying an international SIM card when arriving in Germany

We are going to France and Germany. I tried ordering a "Europe" SIM card from iPhoneTrip for my AT&T unlocked old iPhone 3GS and their system does not support delivery to the United States for a Europe SIM card. I thought they'd be a great option but it doesn't sound like it.

I was on the phone with them trying to explain how the United States is not a delivery option in the drop-down box. After they suggested I try a different browser (!!) I told them I'd opened their website in IE 9, Safari and Chrome with no luck. Then someone else got on the phone and realized that there was no US delivery option and said they'd have to fix it and email me back. This does not instill a high level of confidence so I'm looking at other options.

I'd like to just buy an international SIM card once I arrive in Germany that will work through our weekend in Paris and remaining Germany trip.

Are there any recommended services/stores I can go to in Berlin once I arrive? AT&T's incremental international plan is too expensive for the all the data I'd like to use for maps, GPS, etc.

Last edited by Graciecatt; Oct 11, 2012 at 12:52 pm
Old Oct 11, 2012, 4:05 pm

There are several pre-paid cell phone networks in Germany. Go to the pedestrian zone (Fusgangerstrasse) of the first city where you stay and you'll find all of them within a few blocks, so you can do price and plan comparisons. When I lived in Germany, there weren't any great options for international travel. It was best to get a new SIM with a French prepaid provider once in France. It may have changed in the two years since I lived there...
Old Oct 11, 2012, 4:09 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold and Virgin America for a few months
I got a PrePaid Sim at the grocery store but you need to activate it on a computer and it was only in German ,

A phone shop can probably do it for you in the shop .
Old Oct 11, 2012, 6:55 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I was travelling in Berlin this summer, and ended up going to an 02 mobile store to get my SIM card.

There's no comparisson, or reason, to use your NA SIM card in Europe. Differs between countries, but normally it's between $0.50-$2.00 a day for unlimited internet, plus 10-15 euros for the SIM itself. Compare that to roaming charges!

I believe O2's package was about 10-15 Euros for 1 month of data, with a 1GB cap. They just need to scan your passport, for tracking foreign use of SIM cards.

Just make sure that you buy from a store where they understand English - everything will be in German, and they did some network changes to my phone that I never would have deciphered before. Better to know what you need to do!

In addition to going to a store on the street, I'd recommend going to a phone store in the airport first, if there is one. You have a better chance to have an English-speaking ref, and they're the stores that most frequently deal with foreign activations, and recommendations of what package to give you.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Those are all good ideas - especially about trying in the airport for English speakers. We are landing at Tegel though and I understand that's a small airport. So they may not have all the shops that the big airports do.

If all goes well, I will have my new iPhone 5 and the old 3GS will just be an extra phone laying around the house so it won't matter what changes happen to it.

But I would prefer an international/European SIM so I can have 1 service for our whole trip rather than a German service.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 9:08 pm
Suspended

Besides the usual telecom stores (e.g. Vodafone, T-mobile, 3 etc), you should also check out the grocery stores - which offer, IMO, far better plans - such as the coffe shop chain Tschibo or the grocery store Aldi.

And in Berlin, you need not hunt for a Fussgaengerzone (Pedestrian zone), since the shops are all over the place.

Have fun!
Old Oct 12, 2012, 6:28 am
Original Poster

I just went back to iPhone Trip and they have fixed their website so now shipping to the US is an option. I may just do this for convenience. For 12 days of "unlimited" voice and data it costs $203 for a "Europe" SIM.

How does this price compare to what I might buy in a German grocery store? Would anything I bought in Germany also work in France?
Old Oct 12, 2012, 6:44 am

$203 is way more expensive than anything you might find in Germany. Most younger Germans speak very good English, so any phone shop will have at least one person who can help you. As Absolute said, $15.00 for the SIM plus up to $2/day for the service is much better. Google translate can convert web pages into understandable English, so you could even do a bit of research before leaving home. SIM card from Germany will work in France, but all the ones I looked at charged roaming fees on top of the daily fee. Getting a French SIM instead means that you pay local rates versus international rates.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 8:17 am

I would think this is a lot more expensive compared to anything you will find when you get there.

Originally Posted by Graciecatt
For 12 days of "unlimited" voice and data it costs $203 for a "Europe" SIM.

How does this price compare to what I might buy in a German grocery store? Would anything I bought in Germany also work in France?
Old Oct 13, 2012, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/...one-europe.htm
Old Oct 16, 2012, 8:32 am

You could give Telestial (dot com) a try, I believe they deliver in Germany. They make international SIM cards (micro and normal) and their rates are pretty good for most of Europe. Data is pretty cheap too, at 49c per MB. The SIM I bought came with $10 of free credit, but I they gave me $5 more for 'liking' them on Facebook.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by NJB73
Data is pretty cheap too, at 49c per MB.
That's $490/Gig. Other providers will do rates closer to $10/Gig.

So no, that's not really "pretty cheap" at all.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:35 am

Programs: UA MM, Hyatt Diamond
I used E-plus (green awnings) in Germany two years ago, for voice only, and by far best rates based on MY needs. Seem to be two different pricing plans: one was cheap international but higher local; the other cheap local but high international. I used the former.

Store rep was great, spoke English, and he used their store internet to get me registered, etc.

(Phone: Ancient Ericsson T39.)
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
If I read the messages correctly, you are headed for Berlin. I was there in August. On the south side of Alexanderplatz is an enclosed mall with both o2 and Tmobile stores. For about 25€ (incl. 15€ for the sim, IIRC) I was able to get a data plan for 1 month. The store was helpful in getting the phone working with the card. I think the data speed did curtailed sooner than I wanted. I don't remember which one, as I have used both. My smartphone lesson was several years ago and cost me several hundred dollars in roaming charges. The advice about finding a store with someone who speaks enough English (assuming you don't speak German) should be heeded, but generally such a store is not too difficult to find.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:17 am

Hello,
I am just coming back from my trip to France. Thought about sharing my experience and probably help someone!
I bought a pay as you go sim card from LeFrenchMobile, it worked prefectly! no coverage issues at all, and the rates where not expensive at all.
They also offer roaming services, so Germany should work to!
You can take a look at their website, its all in english and they have a chat in english too.

Cheers!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.