iPad movies for airplane viewing...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

iPad movies for airplane viewing...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2012, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Question iPad movies for airplane viewing...

Apologies if this has been covered but I have spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to figure this out on the web and the relevant sites. Have been lent an iPad and want to download movie(s) for a long set of flights this weekend. Have Netflix and Amazon Prime accounts and all I can find is how to stream them. Obviously I need to download them to watch later, but how to do this does not seem obvious after a lot of looking. Advice??
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:01 am

I have not been able to do this either and if there is a way I would love to know how. I had had to rip my DVDs to an ipad format and then upload them to the ipad. This does work pretty well but can take a long time. I have been using Macripper Pro. Any other programs that would rip faster?

Originally Posted by mstraveler
Apologies if this has been covered but I have spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to figure this out on the web and the relevant sites. Have been lent an iPad and want to download movie(s) for a long set of flights this weekend. Have Netflix and Amazon Prime accounts and all I can find is how to stream them. Obviously I need to download them to watch later, but how to do this does not seem obvious after a lot of looking. Advice??
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:12 am

try the app V download plus
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by thewoosh31
try the app V download plus
I don't actually have DVD's that I can use. Trying to rent them from Netflix or Amazon. Tried to find Vuze Plus for iPad with no luck. I see so many people watching movies on airplanes I assumed there was an easy way to do this! Any other ideas?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:29 am
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Obviously, iTunes is one method - you can rent so you don't have to buy the movie.

Another option is TIVO. If you have a TIVO, they have a new device out (called Tivo Stream, IIRC) that allows you to save your content easily on an IOS device. But that really only allows you to download what you have recorded from Television and not be selective about the movie you watch.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Well, I finally tracked down a phone # and talked to tech support at Amazon. I have a Prime account and there is a way to download rentals to watch later but she had to walk me through the process. I mentioned several times that I had looked for these instructions on line and could not find them and she never said anything to that, so I suspect they may not be there. At least I could not find them with searches on Amazon and on the web! But worth a call if you have Amazon access because it can be done.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Took me 30 seconds to find.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...98971#download

Amazon home page
Shop by Department -> Unlimited Instant Videos -> Watch Anywhere
Click on "...or on the go." (or on the Apple logo just below that)
Click on "iPad" in the first sentence (or find iPad in the device list)
Click on "See Frequently Asked Questions"
Click on "How do I download Amazon Instant Videos to my iPad?"
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Took me 30 seconds to find.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...98971#download

Amazon home page
Shop by Department -> Unlimited Instant Videos -> Watch Anywhere
Click on "...or on the go." (or on the Apple logo just below that)
Click on "iPad" in the first sentence (or find iPad in the device list)
Click on "See Frequently Asked Questions"
Click on "How do I download Amazon Instant Videos to my iPad?"
Presumably that would be the same for Kindle Fire (substituting KF for IP)?

Cheers.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Gosh, this all seems pretty complicated for a fairly simple problem.

Assuming the movie is

a) Available on iTunes and,
b) Price parity'ish w/Amazon...

wouldn't the simplest solution just be to rent/download from iTunes?

Regards
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by scubadu
Gosh, this all seems pretty complicated for a fairly simple problem.

Assuming the movie is

a) Available on iTunes and,
b) Price parity'ish w/Amazon...

wouldn't the simplest solution just be to rent/download from iTunes?

Regards
Netflix and Amazon Prime are unlimited viewing for a monthly fee, so I assume the OP is trying to avoid paying by the movie.

Personally, I check out movies from my local library and rip them to my Nook for traveling. I use a program called DVD Catalyst (not free) for this.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 1:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by djk7
Netflix and Amazon Prime are unlimited viewing for a monthly fee, so I assume the OP is trying to avoid paying by the movie.
Amazon Prime doesn't provide for downloading the free movies, that is streaming only. The link provided by another poster, pointing to an Amazon FAQ on how to download, is purely for rented or purchased movies from Amazon, not for free streaming movies.

Regards
Old Sep 21, 2012, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by scubadu
Amazon Prime doesn't provide for downloading the free movies, that is streaming only.
I recognize that, it just isn't clear from the OP if they are willing to pay per movie, or are looking for options that don't involve any cost beyond their subscription.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.