Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

What happened with Windows Update last night?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2012, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I went to bed around midnight, PST, and everything was working fine.

I woke up this morning to find:

1. My desktop computer had lost its internet connection AND could no longer see the LAN.
2. My 24-port gigabit router was going crazy -- all lights blinking as if there was a massive data transfer going on.
3. My file server appears to have crashed completely (a Sabio CM404).
4. ....... stopped working in Chrome.

I've rebooted everything, did a system restore on my desktop, uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome, uninstalled and reinstalled ......., and now, at least, things seem to be back to normal, except for my fileserver which thinks it has no hard drives installed.

A quick perusal of google shows that, at least with respect to the failure of ......., it appears to have effected a lot of people and had something to do with last night's Windows Update.

Is anyone else having problems? This is a strange morning, and stranger things than computer failures appear to have happened -- somehow, I woke up without my wedding ring. I must have removed it during the night, but now I can't find it. Maybe I should just go back to bed.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Well I went into work today and the VPN to our head office wouldn't connect at all. No idea if it's related to your problems.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:46 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Thanks for the heads up. I don't see an update pending but have set the Update feature to have my select the updates.

Any idea which update it was?
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Braindrain
Thanks for the heads up. I don't see an update pending but have set the Update feature to have my select the updates.

Any idea which update it was?
I don't know. I don't let Windows update automatically but, apparently, my wife changed the settings (unless it was ghosts or alien abductors).

My file server appears to be toast -- nothing I do lets it recognize hard drives. I just bought a refurb from eBay; it was cheap enough to be worth a shot.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Well I went into work today and the VPN to our head office wouldn't connect at all. No idea if it's related to your problems.
Interesting. I have a computer at work that stays connected to my home system via VPN. According to my router, it's not connected now (and it's set to re-set the connection if it fails).

I was leaning towards, "alien abduction" as the explanation (I did find my wedding ring behind the bed), but seeing as others are having issues, I suspect it's either an alien invasion, fundamental shift in the laws of physics, or both.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
I didn't have any problems with the Windows update last night.

Here's what was installed:
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2719857)
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2741355)
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2735855)
Update Rollup for ActiveX Killbits for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2736233)
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - September 2012 (KB890830)
Old Sep 16, 2012, 3:57 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
It was FM
Old Sep 16, 2012, 6:42 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Windows usually updates on Tuesdays ("patch tuesday") so it's probably not windows that caused the issues on a Friday or Saturday night
Old Sep 16, 2012, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
You can get a history of what was installed when in the Windows Update application. Was anything installed overnight?

My machine is set to check for updates every day at 3am. The updates noted above were installed early Thursday morning, plus

- Definition Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB982726) 32-Bit Edition
Old Oct 6, 2012, 11:58 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Finally, did overdue updates. No problems whatsoever.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 8:41 am

Programs: None anymore
Perhaps it was MS EMET...
Known to cause issues with various Windows things.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 4:59 pm

new world update?

My computer also was affected. I had to call TimeWarner to re-turn on my internet. Many things did not work and there were some websites I could not access anymore. I tried to get rid of the update but I can no longer restore my computer to an earlier time. I can no longer choose to review updates and choose to install them or not. Now my hands are partially tied to adjust my computer to my preferred settings. It has so far been impossible to get rid of this update and restore my computer to what it was before this update. Everything seems to have been covered to give much more control to Microsoft and out of my hands. Bill gates has been selling off Microsoft year by year and it is said if he continues selling at his pace (since 2014) he will have sold off all of his shares by 2018. Who owns it now? Who the hell could afford it? Why was this big secret change done to Windows 10? Anyone else there find any annoying and/orcontrolling changes?
Old Sep 28, 2016, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm going to assume this isn't a spambot, so...

Welcome to FlyerTalk, newkillerstar3000. Since FlyerTalk discourages the resurrection of old threads, I'm going to lock this one now. Feel free to start a new thread if you'd like.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.