Can I use this old LCD monitor as a tv connected to my cable box?

Subscribe
I have an older Acer LCD monitor.

The inputs on it are VGA and DVI-D

My basic cable box (I only get the most basic package and yes, that's all I want right now ) has this as its outputs:

Is there some easy/cheap way to use the monitor with the cable box?
No other outputs on the cable box I assume? Positive?

You'll need a converter to go from composite (the yellow video out) to VGA. It certainly won't go to the DVI inputs. Don't fall for the simple cables that go from VGA to composite, as they won't work - VGA requires pretty specific connections.

Assuming your cable box is still analog, you may be cheaper off with a new cable box that has HDMI or DVI out. I'd start with your cable company and ask if they have a better model for you.

Alternatively, sell the monitor and buy a cheap TV... 19" TV's go for around $90 nowadays.
Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SGH-T769 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Quote: I have an older Acer LCD monitor.

The inputs on it are VGA and DVI-D

My basic cable box (I only get the most basic package and yes, that's all I want right now ) has this as its outputs:

Is there some easy/cheap way to use the monitor with the cable box?
Composite to vga converter will worl provided you have a plan for audio.
http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix;jsessionid=8570537DAAFBCF4C4A838899EE0E355 E#ip/StarTech-Composite-S-Video-to-VGA-Video-Converter-for-Computer-Monitors/14658986
Quote: No other outputs on the cable box I assume? Positive?
Yes.

Quote:
You'll need a converter to go from composite (the yellow video out) to VGA. It certainly won't go to the DVI inputs. Don't fall for the simple cables that go from VGA to composite, as they won't work - VGA requires pretty specific connections.
Thanks for the warning

Quote:
Assuming your cable box is still analog
Yes

Quote:
you may be cheaper off with a new cable box that has HDMI or DVI out. I'd start with your cable company and ask if they have a better model for you.
I'll see what that might cost. I got this Comcast bundle because getting the basic cable was cheaper than just getting internet and it is a higher speed that just getting internet alone.

Quote:
Alternatively, sell the monitor and buy a cheap TV... 19" TV's go for around $90 nowadays.
Been watching BensBargains and Techbargains but mostly see only much bigger and more expensive TVs

Quote:
Composite to vga converter will worl provided you have a plan for audio.
http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix;...itors/14658986
The monitor does have built in speakers, although they were never very robust.
Buy a cheap tv as previous person suggested or get a free tube tv that people are throwing out. Not worth your time or trouble.
Quote: Been watching BensBargains and Techbargains but mostly see only much bigger and more expensive TVs
I'd recommend looking at real stores instead of daily deal sites

Walmart has plenty:

http://www.walmart.com/search/search...h_constraint=0

The 19" monitor is worth at least $60, sell that and buy a refurbished TV instead.
Thanks, Scott.

I've had the monitor plus stand on CL for a month now with no inquiries.
Converter
Quote: Buy a cheap tv as previous person suggested or get a free tube tv that people are throwing out. Not worth your time or trouble.
I ended up getting a very good deal on a used 24" LCD tv from my local CL.
Quote:
You'll need a converter to go from composite (the yellow video out) to VGA.
Technically with the converter this will work, but keep in mind that these are two formats that were never meant to go together and you'll be sorely disappointed with the picture quality. Upconverting from composite never works quite right.
Quote: Technically with the converter this will work, but keep in mind that these are two formats that were never meant to go together and you'll be sorely disappointed with the picture quality. Upconverting from composite never works quite right.
Since he's on basic cable he may be satisfied with the converted signal. If he's watching on a 24" set there's not going to much to be gained from hi def anyway.

BTW, I did see a refurb 32" LCD TV at Micro Center for $199 today. Woof.