Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Sign in using an external account

Old Aug 19, 12, 11:42 pm   #1
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM Kryptonium Ham Sandwich GAMER, UA Plat, US, PC Plat, IHG Amb., SPG Gold, HH Gold, Nat'l Exec
Windows 8

Windows 8 hit RTM earlier this month and is now available through TechNet/MSDN as well as volume licensing channels. Now that the final release is upon us, curious to hear what others think of the finished product.

My thoughts after having played with it for almost a week are that it has some nice performance improvements under the hood and might be an interesting tablet experience, but represents about 17 steps back in usability for keyboard/mouse users.
Old Aug 19, 12, 11:51 pm   #2

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
represents about 17 steps back in usability for keyboard/mouse users.
Ouch. Windows Vista 2.
Old Aug 20, 12, 12:13 am   #3
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Air Lines, US Dividend Miles, Rapids Reward
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
Ouch. Windows Vista 2.
What?!? There is no Windows Vista 2.
Old Aug 20, 12, 1:32 am   #4

Played with Windows 8 on a VM a few weeks ago... I can't stand it.

I'm a huge champion of Zune and it's UI, but I can't deal with the similar interface being applied to my entire desktop. I opened some app and I couldn't instinctively figure out how to exit the app - I think I clicked on various things and entered some key combos. I still can't remember how I closed the app (Windows key I think?)

For a pure tablet experience, I think the OS could work... but I wouldn't consider putting it on my convertible laptop tablet that has a touchscreen.
tearex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 12, 5:34 am   #5
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)
It's had a sort of Marmite reaction from people I know, they either love it or hate it. The idea that MS are trying to unify the GUI of all their OS versions is a good one, (it must be if apple are considering the same) but we then hit problems when things like Windows 8 appears. Some of the non techie people will run a mile when they can't see the start button and task bar and can't have a picture of the kids/grandkids on their desktop screen. Best reaction was from someone who had bookmarked a load of websites in one IE version only to unwittingly go into the other one and find that they weren't there.
Old Aug 20, 12, 6:39 am   #6

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
What?!? There is no Windows Vista 2.
Adjust your sarcasm detector

Regards
scubadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 12, 8:44 am   #7

Quote:
Ouch. Windows Vista 2.
Vista 2 = Win 7 and now this...
77five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 12, 2:48 pm   #8

Programs: Delta - PM, Hilton - Gold, HI - Platinum, National - Executive
Quote:
Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
Windows 8 hit RTM earlier this month and is now available through TechNet/MSDN as well as volume licensing channels. Now that the final release is upon us, curious to hear what others think of the finished product.

My thoughts after having played with it for almost a week are that it has some nice performance improvements under the hood and might be an interesting tablet experience, but represents about 17 steps back in usability for keyboard/mouse users.
I hate Windows 8. When I have to turn to Google after spending half an hour trying to find something as basic as the Control Panel, the interface is broken. Double so since I couldn't easily figure out how to turn it off.
realjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 12, 4:34 pm   #9

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by realjd View Post
I hate Windows 8. When I have to turn to Google after spending half an hour trying to find something as basic as the Control Panel, the interface is broken. Double so since I couldn't easily figure out how to turn it off.
I know I'm turning into the resident Microsoft fan boy, but I can't stop myself...

Sounds like someone doesn't like change. It sounds like you are saying that Microsoft should stick with the status quo even though users defecting to Google and Android tablets and phones is clearly telling them that the status quo is broken. Those on Apple's and Google's OS, are you trying to tell me you never had any growing pains when learning their OS? I know I did on both. I believe change is good, and change is necessary for Microsoft/Windows, and now that I've embraced the change, it is easier to use Windows.

I've been using Windows 8 since the early consumer preview, and have to say, now that I've adjusted to it, its much easier to find things. I have been able to find everything I wanted by simply hitting the windows key and starting to type what I want (windows + control panel).
Old Aug 20, 12, 6:09 pm   #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: I have elite status. Yaay for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybob1 View Post
Sounds like someone doesn't like change. It sounds like you are saying that Microsoft should stick with the status quo even though users defecting to Google and Android tablets and phones is clearly telling them that the status quo is broken.
Windows 8 is a solution in search of a problem.

"Let's apply the features of a handheld device to the desktop." Brilliant.
nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 12, 7:11 pm   #11
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)
Quote:
I know I'm turning into the resident Microsoft fan boy, but I can't stop myself...

Sounds like someone doesn't like change. It sounds like you are saying that Microsoft should stick with the status quo even though users defecting to Google and Android tablets and phones is clearly telling them that the status quo is broken. Those on Apple's and Google's OS, are you trying to tell me you never had any growing pains when learning their OS?
I'm not suggesting that MS should stick with the status quo on tablets, Windows currently isn't amazing on tablets because it's a desktop OS - that's what it was designed for, a desktop. Of course people aren't buying tablets with Windows on it because the version of Windows that is available at the mo offers an inferior user experience to that of Android and IOS with a touchscreen. Windows 8 might be a game changer for MS in the tablet market of that I have no doubt. However saying to users that they are going to be forced to use this tablet OS on their desktop machine where the primary interface isn't going to be a touchscreen is a huge gamble.

Quote:
I know I did on both. I believe change is good, and change is necessary for Microsoft/Windows, and now that I've embraced the change, it is easier to use Windows.
The problem for a lot of people 46% of them (and the largest desktop MS OS in use) is that they are still on XP (this includes some corporates) and this new windows is a world away from that. They are just getting ready to upgrade to a new computer and will have to learn how to do everything again. If you've ever worked in a technical support role you'll know how frustrating it is when a user calls up with the easiest of things to do, but they can't do it. So you do user training sessions where you introduce the new OS to staff and get them to ask any questions there and then. The problem is that for the switch from 95 to XP wasn't that difficult for non technical people to master, XP to vista or 7 again wasn't a giant leap it was evolutionary. This is now revolutionary and the last thing many corporates need given the economic conditions is to have to spend time and money training staff how to use their new desktop computer.

I'm all for change if it improves things but what MS are trying to do is impose the Metro Modern GUI a tablet/phone OS on a desktop environment. Now call me old fashioned if you like but I don't think that's a very workable solution, they want to make a uniform looking OS across the range of devices that will run some flavour of Windows. However somethings can only be done from the desktop app and vice versa, as a result there is a great chance for confusion from the user. What apps or programs run on which interface how are you supposed to remember from a large list? The underlying OS may be a huge leap in terms of performance over 7 and it may offer faster boot times etc. However if the GUI sucks for enough people then they just won't or will put off upgrading. If they had made the Metro Modern GUI an option instead of the regular windows desktop GUI then that would have had my support. I don't like the idea that a start menu i.e. Metro Modern GUI is not heirarchical that seems a serious step backwards to me.

Multitasking can I have more than two apps/programs open at the same time in Metro, yes I can. Can I have them on the screen at the same time no I can't, which is a b*gger when you are trying to multi task in the same way as I do on my XP laptop (+ at the moment a second screen) that I'm writing this on. I currently have two firefox browser windows open, Thunderbird, a notepad and VLC playing music (I've just closed WinTV).

Quote:
I've been using Windows 8 since the early consumer preview, and have to say, now that I've adjusted to it, its much easier to find things. I have been able to find everything I wanted by simply hitting the windows key and starting to type what I want (windows + control panel).
On XP it takes two clicks of the mouse to get into control panel, as you've yourself said
Quote:
"simply hitting the windows key and starting to type what I want"
now that can't be as quick or as simple (& a slow typist will take longer to do that) as two clicks on a mouse, or the windows key and then one click. I'll admit that I've only had a limited play with a consumer preview version of 8 but that gave me a good feel of it.

EDIT: I've just noticed from your signature that you've written an app and that requires more skill than a lot of consumer computer users have. For you it might be easy to adjust to a new OS and all the quirks but you're in a small segment of the computer using public, not everyone is that adaptable that quickly.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Aug 21, 12 at 7:53 am.
Jimmie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 12, 6:45 pm   #12

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Windows 8 Professional 1 User Upgrade PC - $38.88, micro center, in-store pickup
Old Oct 24, 12, 1:25 am   #13
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Ouch. Windows Vista 2.
Hey! There is no such thing. There is no Windows Vista. Because it is in the past.
Old Oct 24, 12, 1:30 am   #14
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think gonna like that. The Windows 8 is a terrible. Because they doesn't have start button & icon tasks, too.

Please read the link:

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/10/23...8-baffles.html
Old Oct 24, 12, 1:17 pm   #15
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold/1.78MM, Marriott LifetimePlatinum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie76 View Post
However saying to users that they are going to be forced to use this tablet OS on their desktop machine where the primary interface isn't going to be a touchscreen is a huge gamble.

The problem for a lot of people 46% of them (and the largest desktop MS OS in use) is that they are still on XP (this includes some corporates) and this new windows is a world away from that. They are just getting ready to upgrade to a new computer and will have to learn how to do everything again. If you've ever worked in a technical support role you'll know how frustrating it is when a user calls up with the easiest of things to do, but they can't do it. So you do user training sessions where you introduce the new OS to staff and get them to ask any questions there and then. The problem is that for the switch from 95 to XP wasn't that difficult for non technical people to master, XP to vista or 7 again wasn't a giant leap it was evolutionary. This is now revolutionary and the last thing many corporates need given the economic conditions is to have to spend time and money training staff how to use their new desktop computer.

I'm all for change if it improves things but what MS are trying to do is impose the Metro Modern GUI a tablet/phone OS on a desktop environment. Now call me old fashioned if you like but I don't think that's a very workable solution, they want to make a uniform looking OS across the range of devices that will run some flavour of Windows. However somethings can only be done from the desktop app and vice versa, as a result there is a great chance for confusion from the user. What apps or programs run on which interface how are you supposed to remember from a large list? The underlying OS may be a huge leap in terms of performance over 7 and it may offer faster boot times etc. However if the GUI sucks for enough people then they just won't or will put off upgrading. If they had made the Metro Modern GUI an option instead of the regular windows desktop GUI then that would have had my support. I don't like the idea that a start menu i.e. Metro Modern GUI is not heirarchical that seems a serious step backwards to me.
Agree w/ all of the above. Also read an article in the NY Times yesterday that mentioned experienced people (vs. average consumer like me) felt like they were amateurs/beginners again when trying to use W8. And ScottC, who is neither an amateur nor a beginner, said switching from Metro to Desktop was confusing in the Surface thread. If he's got problems, then I'm definitely SOL! Never thought I'd say I better hang on to my Vista laptop for a while

Cheers.