Wiki Posts
Search

Gigabit ethernet - cheap and portable

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2014, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Gigabit ethernet - cheap and portable

I've installed gigabit ethernet for my desktops and server, and a couple of my laptops have gb ports, too. Makes a big difference when shifting files around.

If you already have gb ethernet installed, here's a cheap and convenient way to add it to your laptop or any other computer with an available usb 2.0 port. Five bucks + shipping!

Here's the product description page.

I think the sale is on for a couple more days. I've bought stuff from these guys many times over the years, and they have always been quite reliable.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought computer made in the last 3-4 years had gig ethernet. Even my cheapie HP laptop from 2011 did.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I thought computer made in the last 3-4 years had gig ethernet. Even my cheapie HP laptop from 2011 did.
There's a lot out there that don't.

Besides, like many folks, apparently, the laptop I carry around is essentially a 'disposable' one so that if it gets lost/stolen/trashed I'm not out that much. Syncing up when I get back home goes faster with gb ethernet.

Oh, and my car doesn't have GPS in it, either. Not everyone has the latest and greatest, or else eBay would be out of business.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
It's worth keeping in mind that this will be a bit faster than a 100Mbps Ethernet connection, but not anywhere close to an actual Gigabit Ethernet port. USB2 isn't anywhere near fast enough - the protocol itself has a theoretical maximum of 480Mbps, but with the overhead of converting to Ethernet (and then the overhead of Ethernet itself) it's likely that this will deliver ~300Mbps of actual throughput.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by star_world
... it's likely that this will deliver ~300Mbps of actual throughput.
...which is a bit less than I'm currently getting.

The data has to be stripped off the source drive and written to the target drive - depending on what kind of drives you have and how much memory (buffer) space is available, nobody gets anything like the theoretical max.

Still, it's a lot faster than my 100 mbps network, but in reality that only shows up when I'm transferring large files around; with small stuff, it's not all that noticeable.

All in all, for five bucks it seemed to be worth it to have the capability (literally) in my pocket and easily transportable.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL GM
This is a workaround using an obsolete USB accessory that is no longer manufactured. Based on the OP's previous posts I'm guessing the computer hardware and OS are likely obsolete too.

As mentioned previously this is a USB 2.0 device, which is much slower than gigabit Ethernet. Ethernet traffic through it will be limited to USB 2.0 capabilities, as noted on Belkin's webpage for the device.

The OP's thread title was spot on though: Today's gigabit Ethernet is cheap and portable. Gigabit Ethernet over CAT 5/5e/6 copper first showed up around 1999 and has been affordable and common in consumer devices since 2010. I'm surprised that he appears to be reporting it here as a recent discovery on his part.

I don't buy the bit about needing to lug around an obsolete laptop in case something happens to it, or that a lot of other people are doing this too. A brand new well equipped modern laptop can be had nowadays for around $500... about the same price as some smartphones or tablets.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WWGuy
This is a workaround using an obsolete USB accessory that is no longer manufactured. Based on the OP's previous posts I'm guessing the computer hardware and OS are likely obsolete too.
Yep, and I'm pretty obsolete, too. All my computers do is whatever I want them to do, and well enough to suit me, too.
I don't buy the bit about needing to lug around an obsolete laptop in case something happens to it, or that a lot of other people are doing this too.
Nobody needs to lug around an old laptop. but other posters have indicated that they do. <shrug>
A brand new well equipped modern laptop can be had nowadays for around $500... about the same price as some smartphones or tablets.
$500 is more than I've got invested in my entire computer setup - three (currently) desktops in use, and a half-dozen laptops. I actually spent more than that, but I refurbish them and flog them on craigslist. I've had no shortage of buyers for these 'obsolete' computers.

Can't comment on the smartphone/tablet issue as I own neither.

But, feel free to let me know how to spend my money.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by BigLar
If you already have gb ethernet installed, here's a cheap and convenient way to add it to your laptop or any other computer with an available usb 2.0 port. Five bucks + shipping!
Great price though I'd be worried about the strain relief (or lack thereof!).

I keep a USB3.0 Gigabit adapter in the pigtail form factor as an emergency gizmo in my toolbox. You can get them for about $15.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 4:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
What makes you think everyone uses computers less than 3 or 4 years old?

Regards
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scubadu

Regards
The constant updating of technology, and the fact that relatively few people are my mother.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scubadu
The constant updating of technology, and the fact that relatively few people are my mother.
Dave. I know you work in the IT industry, but you ought to get out in the real world more often.

As someone once said, "The leading edge is sharp, but the trailing edge is very long." (or words to that effect). This was in an article explaining the huge number of design starts that were being done in COBOL.

There are literally millions of people who just want a computer - they may not even know what USB stands for, nor do they care much what OS is running - they just want a reasonable device to do their thing with. They are my customers and their name is Legion.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
So you're telling me if I upgrade my computer hardware it will run faster?

How has no one figured this out?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dave. I know you work in the IT industry, but you ought to get out in the real world more often.
Hah! The funny thing is, I don't work in IT. I introduce my clients (hedge fund analysts) to subject matter experts who can help them in their work. I'm in the energy/industrials group.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hah! The funny thing is, I don't work in IT. I introduce my clients (hedge fund analysts) to subject matter experts who can help them in their work. I'm in the energy/industrials group.
Hmmm.

Then who am I thinking of?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmmm.

Then who am I thinking of?
Probably me. I'm a jack of all trades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.