Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Sign in using an external account

Old Aug 14, 12, 8:51 pm   #1

Handbrake cannot rip Disney DVD to Apple TV?

Two weeks ago, one of my friends sent me a classical DVD Up as my birthday gift. I wanted to enjoy it with my family on the Apple TV, so I used Handbrake to rip it. Unfortunately, Handbrake did not work at all, even though it indeed did a good job for me in the past. What’s wrong with it?
pennysunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 12, 9:08 pm   #2
Talkboard Member, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Over-Entitled COdbaUA-1kMM, HH Plebe, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
From my experience (and I use Mac The Ripper which can rip just about anything), Disney DVD's are the hardest to rip because of their copy protection scheme(s)
Old Aug 15, 12, 6:13 am   #3

You need to unlock (DVD rip).... Try this http://www.macdvdripperpro.com/ then use handbrake
dtsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 12, 11:59 pm   #4

To be honest, Handbrake is quite great for ripping DVDs. However, its weak point is that it cannot rip DVD with Disney new copy protection. Your DVD Up is just pushed with such protection. So Handbrake failed. I think, u could try MacX DVD Ripper Pro. It not only covers the functions of Handbrake well but also can make up for its shortcoming. In my opinion, it is at least one of the best apps ive use.
juice55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 12, 2:56 am   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by juice55 View Post
To be honest, Handbrake is quite great for ripping DVDs. However, its weak point is that it cannot rip DVD with Disney new copy protection. Your DVD Up is just pushed with such protection. So Handbrake failed. I think, u could try MacX DVD Ripper Pro. It not only covers the functions of Handbrake well but also can make up for its shortcoming. In my opinion, it is at least one of the best apps ive use.
I tried it. It is really great! Thank you!
Old Aug 16, 12, 2:57 am   #6

Thank u guys, plz keep the question coming.
Old Aug 19, 12, 4:45 pm   #7

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Download MakeMkv. It will rip it in no time. Then use handbrake to convert the file for AppleTV.
fieldeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 12, 7:02 pm   #8
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters
Quote:
Originally Posted by juice55 View Post
Welcome to FT!
Old Aug 19, 12, 7:22 pm   #9

Programs: UA 1MM, *G, Global Entry
Another alternative is to use FairMount to unlock the encryption. Copy the video_ts folder to your disk, then use HandBrake to convert it. That's what I used to do. Now I use RipIt or MDRP, then DVDRemaster Pro. For Blu-rays, I use MakeMKV and HandBrake.
FlyingDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 12, 8:50 pm   #10

Programs: DL Silver, HHonors Silver
I strongly suggest buying Firecore's aTV Flash product. You can view DVD content, menus and all, through your Apple TV. It plays almost any file format. You'll still need to break the encryption keeping in mind any fair use policies for content you actually own.

It really is awesome.
james318 is offline   Reply With Quote