FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Suggestions on how to find free WiFi (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1376667-suggestions-how-find-free-wifi.html)

rwoman Aug 13, 2012 5:27 am

Suggestions on how to find free WiFi

CNN: Get it for free!

I thought this was an interesting summary of several methods to find free wifi when traveling.

Methods include using your cable provider as they roll out hotspots in major cities, utilizing libraries, city parks (I've used it in NYC many times), and wifi sniffing apps. Well known chains include Panera Bread, Starbucks, Barnes & Noble, McDonald's, and FedEx offices.

The article also mentions wififreespot.com as a resource.

:)

javabytes Aug 15, 2012 11:01 pm

The ubiquity of cellular data has all but relegated Wi-Fi to the backseat for me. With a phone and a tablet that are always online, plus the ability to turn either into a hotspot, the hassle of seeking out an open Wi-Fi network just isn't worth it.

rwoman Aug 16, 2012 12:30 am

Originally Posted by javabytes (Post 19131808)
The ubiquity of cellular data has all but relegated Wi-Fi to the backseat for me. With a phone and a tablet that are always online, plus the ability to turn either into a hotspot, the hassle of seeking out an open Wi-Fi network just isn't worth it.

Right, but for many coming from abroad, I think this can be relevant. Living in the UK, I have my iPhone and unlimited data...do not have that same option when I'm home in the US as I'm not going to pay for roaming!

:)

richarddd Aug 16, 2012 6:07 am

Originally Posted by javabytes (Post 19131808)

Unlimited data is increasingly rare, making wifi more useful. If you're travelling and don't have a local SIM, wifi is much better than paying international roaming charges.

Hughdal Aug 18, 2012 4:46 am

I'm a great believer in Skype. Besides cheap or free VOIP calls I especially like Skype internet. What Skype has done is make agreements with around a gazillion Wi-Fi providers (they say a million locations around the world) so that when you fire up Skype and go Skype Wi-Fi the connection is handle by Skype. For me that solves the finding a Wi-Fi network problem, language problem of joining a Wi-Fi in a country in a different language and it also solves the usual 20 questions that have to be answered before you can log onto "free" Wi-Fi and it also by-pass's the spam emails that follow signing up to some providers Wi-Fi. Downside is that Skype Wi-Fi is not cheap.

Hughdal