Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Is outlook.com a game changer?

Is outlook.com a game changer?

Old Aug 5, 2012, 6:04 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by planemechanic
I don't get it.

Why is this any better than using Outlook on my laptop and syncing that with my iPad and iPhone? (as well as the company Droid)?? What does this new service provide that I don't already have?

What email back end are you using for Outlook? A Corporate Exchange Server?

You may be confused by what outlook.com is. It is not an email client like Microsoft, it is a web-based email service. It does have a rich web client as a front end and does support POP and IMAP so you could even use your Outlook mail client on your laptop with outlook.com.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lensman
What email back end are you using for Outlook? A Corporate Exchange Server?
Yes.

Originally Posted by lensman
You may be confused by what outlook.com is.
Clearly, which is why I made my post. What advantage does outlook.com offer to someone using Outlook with a corporate exchange server?
Old Aug 5, 2012, 6:51 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Clearly, which is why I made my post. What advantage does outlook.com offer to someone using Outlook with a corporate exchange server?

Not running a corporate exchange server would be a huge advantage for people who don't need it.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 6:51 pm

outlook.com is basically equivalent to gmail. Consider it the successor to hotmail.

You wouldn't use either one for corporate email.

outlook is an email client, you can use outlook with an exchange server, an imap server, a pop server or all of the above at the same time with different email accounts. one or more of those accounts might be hosted on outlook.com.

Yes, I guess you can argue that the name is a bit confusing.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Aug 5, 2012 at 7:06 pm
Old Aug 5, 2012, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Outlook.com is basically equivalent to gmail. Consider it the successor to hotmail.
It appears to be hotmail but with a new UI. How is it different?
Old Aug 5, 2012, 7:38 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by nerd
It appears to be hotmail but with a new UI. How is it different?
The new UI allows for more messages to be seen on the screen

It links to a bunch of social networks like facebook, twitter, google, linked in etc

Tablets and Iphone users get active sync to manage their accounts

The sweep feature moves stuff for you instead of you having to move things one by one

It's adding skydrive to compete on a more even platform with services like DropBox

Less ads, and controls when you see them

Make skype calls from your inbox

It's tied with the web versions of the office suite, so you can make edits to documents from you inbox

Mailbox quick views
Old Aug 5, 2012, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good summary. I am a casual hotmail user so I wasn't sure what bells and whistles had been added.

(And given the thread topic - "game changer" - I was poking around not looking for bells/whistles.)
Old Aug 5, 2012, 8:40 pm
In Memoriam

The spam filtering is really good.

I think they (media) is calling it a game changer because it may allow them to compete on the same platform as gmail. If there was no gmail it would be significant changes, but it's catch up just to get to the same place.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Can you migrate your own domains to outlook.com (like Google Apps)?
Anyone have an answer?

It looks like the current answer is no, but I'm hoping for a solution in the future.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 12:40 pm

Programs: Dirt
Office 365 is Microsoft's hosted cloud services. It's been a while since I looked into it, but two things turned me off to them: 1. There is no free basic level service, and 2. Microsoft requires you to delegate your domain's DNS to their name servers.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 6:21 pm

Programs: VA WP, NZ G, CI Em, QF G
Originally Posted by msb0b
Office 365 is Microsoft's hosted cloud services. It's been a while since I looked into it, but two things turned me off to them: 1. There is no free basic level service, and 2. Microsoft requires you to delegate your domain's DNS to their name servers.
be careful to read the fine print if you send lots of emails - this won't impact much on personal accounts, but if you also have some automated processes that make heavy use of email you can get caught (as happened to whoever signed up a certain global company I may be familiar with, leading to conference calls into the wee hours of the morning and much gnashing of teeth )

- 30 outbound emails per minute
- 500 or 1500 emails per rolling 24 hr period (number depends on how much you pay, a couple of accounts on a large enterprise can be upgraded to 6000)
- various throttling limits on connection count, CPU time, authentication time (if setup to use your own Active Directory, not theirs).
- sending is slow, the solution was to receive via 365 and send via internal SMTP server. (lucky 'the cloud' would save us? )

O365 is also drastically slower than the older BPOS when it comes to sending and receiving messages, the BPOS connector sucked - but the email service was at least fast and not throttled back.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 10:24 am

I always get a chuckle whenever I see @yahoo.com and @aol.com email addresses.

90% of the time it's from spam, although I do have grandparents and older folk that use yahoo or aol.

I do miss AOL's free trial discs, they made great coasters when entertaining people.

<3 Gmail and Gchat for pretty much everything, I see no reason to switch from google to Outlook.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 1:54 pm
In Memoriam

Funny, about a month ago I was asked to see how many e-mail addresses in our database were both still active (they did not unsubscribe, they did not get a couple of hard bounces in a row) and aol.

I was expecting a couple hundred at most, it was 23,679 out of something like 126,000 valid addresses.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by cordelli
I was expecting a couple hundred at most, it was 23,679 out of something like 126,000 valid addresses.
Not surprised as all. Some folks just never change
Old Aug 9, 2012, 11:16 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
Looks like you can, pretty easily; check this out:
http://www.labnol.org/internet/setup...-domain/24699/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.