Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

UK SIM: Why top up only with UK credit card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2012, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm going to the UK on Friday and have a Three SIM all ready. But I can only top up with a UK credit card online - or with a Top Up card paid for in cash in person. The funny thing is that my UK friend tried to put her credit card on the account and top up, and it still wouldn't take.

Why do UK mobile providers require a UK credit card?
Old Jul 26, 2012, 6:54 am

Some vendors require a credit card from their country, likely for fraud prevention issues.

Have you tried every card you have? Last year I managed to buy a Spanish train ticket with a BankDirect debt card enrolled in Verified by Visa (adds a password for online purchases). I'd tried a large number of other cards without success.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 7:44 am

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
Phones and phone cards are a bit special. Key reason might be that mobile networks only sign contracts for territory one country at a time currently. Because prices for phones and network time/data can differ greatly for the same product/service between countries, legally they must - and of course are very interested in - preventing arbitrage. So it's perfectly natural for networks to restrict the origin of methods of payment to the territory for which they have the relevant network licence.

Additionally as mentioned by other poster above there are quite serious fraud issues when accepting foreign credit cards, or cards of certain types, for some products and services (not just mobile but many other products).

As I mentioned in another thread here recently, it is extremely easy once in the UK to obtain top-ups at every supermarket, newspaper shops (eg WH Smith) most petrol stations and many other outlets (eg Boots pharmacies). Even SIMs are pretty easy to get hold of. Just say at the cash desk which network you want and how much £.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 7:52 am

I topped up a UK tmobile SIM with a US credit card earlier this year
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:48 am

Which UK sim, which CC, and where did you do the topup (her or in the UK)? There should NOT be any problem doing it in the UK with a US issued CC. Online is another story.

Originally Posted by richarddd
I topped up a UK tmobile SIM with a US credit card earlier this year
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:22 pm

Online from the US. Is there more than one UK tmobile?
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:27 pm

Sorry. I read it too quickly and thought you did not specify the carrier.

I have heard of some people with American Express and may be Discover having success topping up UK sim cards online from the US

Originally Posted by richarddd
Online from the US. Is there more than one UK tmobile?
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:56 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
  • To cut back on fraud
  • Exchange fees they may have to pay
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
T Mobile in the U.S. won't accept anything but a U.S.-domiciled CC online. Can phone in however.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks all...but if I'm not mistaken, the cardmember pays the forex fees, not the merchant.

Also, I had a friend in London try it. She added her UK credit card to my account online and it wouldn't take. I had also tried my SPG Amex after calling Amex and adding my friend's UK address to my account as an alternate address on the account.

I'll just buy a Top Up card or visit a Three store when I get there...
Old Jul 26, 2012, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I'm going to the UK on Friday and have a Three SIM all ready. But I can only top up with a UK credit card online - or with a Top Up card paid for in cash in person. The funny thing is that my UK friend tried to put her credit card on the account and top up, and it still wouldn't take.

It's not just the UK. Canadian mobile operators won't take non-Canadian credit cards either. Foreign credit cards are not accepted by US mobile operators either though if you have a foreign credit card you can still use PIN vendors like callingmart.com .
Old Jul 26, 2012, 4:41 pm

I have a UK T-Mobile sim and can top up online with my US Amex card.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by weekilter
It's not just the UK. Canadian mobile operators won't take non-Canadian credit cards either. Foreign credit cards are not accepted by US mobile operators either though if you have a foreign credit card you can still use PIN vendors like callingmart.com .
I had a Rogers contract SIM for 3 years that was being paid by my US credit card. I still have an Orange UK contract SIM card (OVP Virgin -- essentially PAYG with a statement) and pay it with my US card.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:01 am

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by gfunkdave

This drives me nuts whenever I'm in the UK. I have to schlep to the Vodafone, Virgin, Carphone Warehouse, or other store, in person to top up my phone. I always have problems trying to get train tickets in advance as well. In both cases, I have had an "account" with my actual contact information, but still can't use the card. I haven't tried in the past two years, a friend got my train tickets for me and I reimbursed them. I don't understand why I can walk up to the clerk at the phone store and use my card, or go to the train ticket machine and buy a ticket, but can't do the same on line or via phone. I wonder if it is as difficult for folks from the UK trying to do the same thing here?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by youreadyfreddie
I wonder if it is as difficult for folks from the UK trying to do the same thing here?
Yes, no to go off topic but HA doesn't accept anything but NAFTA-based credit cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.