Reload this Page >

Do I need to uninstall/reinstall ESet NOD32? Can't complete computer scan

Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

While Eset updates signature database 6x daily, I've been unable to run a full computer scan in almost 3 weeks. I've reported the issue via the contact/report something form, get an auto-reply they'll respond in 1 biz day, and then I don't hear back.

A few minutes ago I had a big pop-up from Microsoft Security Essentials threat showing a trojan, something else & adware fraud & then saying to clean my computer, with then a pop-up to install something windowsminimizeragent.pl, I think it was. At the same time ESet threw up a security warning, which led me to believe the other one was actually the problem. So I didn't do anything w/ regards to the big red pop-up or the install.

When I've run a computer scan, it gets to 73% & then stops each time. It stops at this:

TargetC:\SwSetup\RoxioCB9\EMC_90\Data.cab>missingf iles.chm.652BB93D_023C_434A_AF51_ED00BEZ4D3C6

Always stops at the same point every time I've tried to run the scan. So:

* do I need to uninstall/reinstall Eset, or
* is there something else that's wrong that needs to get fixed, and can i actually do it (w/ you all walking me through it of course!).

Any input appreciated, since ESet isn't really getting back to me.

Tying back into travel, this is happening on my laptop.

Cheers.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:43 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA Ag Muti-year WN Companion Pass, A+, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Ntl EmExElite
I'd try a reinstall of Eset, certainly can't hurt. I've been using Eset for several years, never had any problems, but never had to contact them. There are a lot of official looking security programs floating around out there, so am very skeptical whenever a popup comes up promising to fix a problem that it has found on my computer.

You might also want to only run one virus checker, possibly having Microsoft Security Essentials and ESET running at the same time could be an issue, two programs trying to access the same file sometimes don't play well together.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:57 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
I had a similar problem on one computer (older netbook with XP) when attempting to upgrade Eset Security. The resolution was to fully de-install and then reinstall the program, which resolved the issue.

Having said that, I think before I did the de-install/reinstall thing I would do the following:

1) download & run MalwareBytes to identify malware & help resolve the issue;
2) run an online scan from McAfee (I think Symantec may also have an online scanner).

Unfortunately, no program catches all the malware, and one thing that the newer malware does is to disable the functioning of anti-virus programs.

Also, as ctuttle noted, sometimes the programs will conflict with each other.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's an archive file. Perhaps it's damaged and Eset is getting lost trying to unpack it.

I would be inclined to try to locate a new copy of the files, then rename the old directory and install the new stuff.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

I guess when I contacted Eset for the 3rd time & took them a bit to task on how long it was getting back to me, they decided to respond

Here's what they said to do, but I'm a bit confused on how to do it.

Hello Sharon

Thank you for contacting ESET Customer Care.

1) Per these instructions add the Directory to the current folder that the ESET scan is hanging on. TargetC:\SwSetup\RoxioCB9

2) Then follow the next email to make sure you have permissions enabled on the Windows-Temp folder.

We apologize for the inconvenience. File-level scanning of some email servers, backup software, gaming applications, etc. can occasionally cause abnormal system behavior.

3) Based on the symptoms you described, you may need to exclude specific applications or folders from being scanned.

WARNING: Excluding applications or folders from scanning removes an additional layer of protection. We recommend you only exclude trusted or secure files.

For illustrated instructions on excluding those files/folders from the Real-time scanner, please click or copy/paste the version-specific Knowledgebase article into your web browser:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version 5.x:

http://kb.eset.com/zap/SOLN2769
Version 4.x:

http://kb.eset.com/zap/SOLN2153

So I'm a bit confused on how to do 1 & 2 & worried about doing #3.

FWIW - I've not installed any new software & the problem just cropped up 3 weeks ago.

Cheers.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Here's the follow-up email:

First Method:

Verify that you have permissions to write to the Windows System Temp folder (C:\Windows\Temp) by following these steps:

* open Windows Explorer and go to C:\WINDOWS
* select the Temp folder and right click on it.
* select Properties
* select Security tab
* select Edit (if you have UAC turned on you need to confirm a dialog with Continue)
* select Users in Group or usernames
* check if the Users have Write rights in Permissions for Users
* if the Users do not have Write permissions Allow them
* click Apply and then click Yes
* click OK

Alternate Method:

To set full permissions on your Windows-Temp folder follow below:

Windows XP:

1. Click on "start" and then click "Run"

2. In the Open box, type: cmd and then hit enter to get into the
command prompt.

3. Type the following: cacls c:\Windows\temp /g Administrators:F
and then hit enter and confirm with "Y" for yes.

Windows Vista and Windows 7

1. Click on "Start" and then go into the "Accesories" folder.

2. Right click on the "Command Prompt" and then left click on
"Run as administrator"

3. Type the following: cacls c:\Windows\temp /g Administrators:F
and then hit enter and confirm with "Y" for yes.

Now try and re-run the ESET on-demand scan

But I'm still not certain how to add the directory in what he mentioned in his first response???

Cheers.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Here's what they said to do, but I'm a bit confused on how to do it.

Hello Sharon

Thank you for contacting ESET Customer Care.

1) Per these instructions add the Directory to the current folder that the ESET scan is hanging on. TargetC:\SwSetup\RoxioCB9

2) Then follow the next email to make sure you have permissions enabled on the Windows-Temp folder.

We apologize for the inconvenience. File-level scanning of some email servers, backup software, gaming applications, etc. can occasionally cause abnormal system behavior.

3) Based on the symptoms you described, you may need to exclude specific applications or folders from being scanned.

WARNING: Excluding applications or folders from scanning removes an additional layer of protection. We recommend you only exclude trusted or secure files.

For illustrated instructions on excluding those files/folders from the Real-time scanner, please click or copy/paste the version-specific Knowledgebase article into your web browser:
Version 5.x:

http://kb.eset.com/zap/SOLN2769
Version 4.x:

http://kb.eset.com/zap/SOLN2153

I'm assuming they want me to add the directory so that I can then exclude it later?

add the Directory to the current folder that the ESET scan is hanging on. TargetC:\SwSetup\RoxioCB9

But how do I do that?

Cheers.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 4:57 pm

I'm assuming they want me to add the directory so that I can then exclude it later?

add the Directory to the current folder that the ESET scan is hanging on. TargetC:\SwSetup\RoxioCB9

But how do I do that?

Cheers.
Rereading, it looks like they sent you two possible solutions.

First method is to check/modify your temp dir permissions and try the scan again. If you do this, try this first, if it doesn't solve the problem try the next workaround ...

The other method is to just exclude the problem directory from the scan using the version specific illustrated instructions and try the scan again. (though that directory will be excluded from the scan.)

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Jul 21, 2012 at 5:05 pm
Old Jul 21, 2012, 5:00 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
While I'm hardly an expert, I don't understand why you are running two different AV programs.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
...A few minutes ago I had a big pop-up from Microsoft Security Essentials threat showing a trojan, something else & adware fraud & then saying to clean my computer, with then a pop-up to install something windowsminimizeragent.pl, I think it was. At the same time ESet threw up a security warning,...
Originally Posted by cblaisd
While I'm hardly an expert, I don't understand why you are running two different AV programs.
W/r/t the MSE part, maybe it has something to do with the "acting out" of FT, which IB is supposed to take a look:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...rus-alert.html

Not sure what IB has found though. No update in the referenced thread yet.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 8:15 pm

http://www.techsupportalert.com/free...ification.html
Old Jul 22, 2012, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Rereading, it looks like they sent you two possible solutions.

First method is to check/modify your temp dir permissions and try the scan again. If you do this, try this first, if it doesn't solve the problem try the next workaround ...

The other method is to just exclude the problem directory from the scan using the version specific illustrated instructions and try the scan again. (though that directory will be excluded from the scan.)

-David
I tried the temp dir permissions, did a scan & it hung up at the same place.

I'll try the version specific (once I figure out which version I have!) exclusion.

I'm not thrilled about not having been able to do a computer scan in 3 weeks.

Originally Posted by cblaisd
I'm not.

Originally Posted by lin821
W/r/t the MSE part, maybe it has something to do with the "acting out" of FT, which IB is supposed to take a look:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...rus-alert.html

Not sure what IB has found though. No update in the referenced thread yet.
Yup.

That's the one.

Cheers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.