Wiki Posts
Search

Good cordless phone for home?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2012, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K [ex-GS],1+MM, SPG PLAT
Good cordless phone for home?

I currently have a 4-handset cordless DECT Panasonic phone system. It came with a base that includes an answering system -- which I never used because my phone carrier provides voice mail.

I've bought new batteries for all the handsets ... but I'm still getting an error message on two. I've called a local repair service and I've called Panasonic--it sounds like two of the handsets are dead. The system is outside of warranty. Replacing the two handsets is the same cost as buying a whole new system.

I've been happy with the phones ... I like that this system had talking Caller ID. I do not need a answering system. I do not need a keypad on the base. I need 4 phones. Replacement is about $115 -- don't want/need to spend more.

Suggestions? Stick with Panasonic and chalk this up to a crappy product? Another brand?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 4:57 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Search for DECT on the here, there have been a few threads in the past about it. I've been quite happy with the panasonic system we have at home.

At places like BJ's or Staples you can often get a set of four phones for $55 or $60

If all you need is a handest or two, try e-bay, sometimes people are selling the rest of what they had when they replaced.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 7:25 pm

The last ones I bought were a uniden set with whatever the latest tech was back when I bought them, at Costco. I was also able to buy extra handsets/cradles for it separately online.

I used to use panasonic all the time too, but uniden and others have caught up by now.

-David
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Have your price checked the latest DECT 6.0-based phones at your local Best Buy, Target, Walmart or MicroCenter (if you are near one) - there are some good ones on Overstock.com - base/main unit with DAM plus add'l sets - under $80 for all, depending on features? Replacement batteries, when available, are always expensive and they do eventually wear out just like our NiMH batteries used for assorted remotes.

Practically 99% of them come with the keypads & digital circuits for VM, plus other optional/enhanced features - including Bluetooth interface to mobile devices. We don't use the set's VM either and just turned it off.

With new battery replacement in the handset, they are supposed to reset automatically and re-establish programming default, but, you might want to lookup the user's manual on the proper sequence to do a master reset ... Panasonic & others are excellent in that they maintain online support & links long after the models were discontinued - saved me the trouble of digging for the manual on DIY. Perhaps your non-working ones will come back to life with a reset ...
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:35 pm

I went to consumer report to find best buy recommendation, then went to Costco and found same panasonic model for sale. Two weeks later returned as reception was terrible. Ended up with another set, this time VTech.

Several lessons

1. CR isn't infallible
2. Costco take returns, no questions asked
3. Have used vTech, uniden and Panasonic brands, virtually the same for us
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:54 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I have an AT&T branded set (base + 2 remote handsets) which I think is made by Vtech or Uniden as I read somewhere they have an identical set.
This has been great - DECT technology.
Unlike my prior phone which dropped out and disconnected from the system, this has worked flawlessly.
I actually don't have landline service - i solely use it through the bluetooth - lets me leave my phone in the charger in the kitchen but I have handsets all over the house and it's like i have a landline.
on the other end, I've been told they can't tell the difference
when i bought it, the base +1 at Best Buy cost more than the Base +2 at Target!
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Can anyone recommend one with an actual headset jack? Mrs. Swede may start using our landline (via Google Voice) or maybe an obi device instead of her Blackberry.

I can't believe they are so difficult to find.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the panasonic has a phone jack. same one as my nokia cell phone. the panasonics we have (two different models) talk to each other, have a 50 or so blocker feature, and work from the end of the pier to our house(some 300 feet). the only feature i would like would be to be able to upload and down load a phone directory from a pc. i once saw one of those. think it on a Vtech.

we have had decent reliability on vtech, panasonic, uniden. not good on att.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:45 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by Letitride3c
Replacement batteries, when available, are always expensive and they do eventually wear out just like our NiMH batteries used for assorted remotes.
My Panasonic model uses AA or AAA batteries (don't remember which). After a few years when they started dying, I just ordered a couple packages of eneloops and now they last so much longer.

If you are getting a new system, it's worth looking for one that uses regular rechargeables.

Vtech and probably others also makes models that uses regular batteries.

Last edited by cordelli; Jul 17, 2012 at 7:51 am
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli
If you are getting a new system, it's worth looking for one that uses regular rechargeables.

Vtech and probably others also makes models that uses regular batteries.
^^
I made sure my new replacement set had this feature, probably won't have to replace the entire set for many years....
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:54 pm

I don't remember the model off the top of my head but I got a Panasonic for Christmas that also has bluetooth built in which allows your to use it with your cell phone. The one I have allows you to pair two cell phones to it. When you get a call all handsets tied to the base ring like a normal landline call. While I still prefer the hands free convenience of my plantronics BT headset for long conversations being able to use the same phone for both my landline and cell is great. It's also very handy for long distance calls too. You just hit the cell button when dialing instead of the usual talk button.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by LtKernelPanic
I don't remember the model off the top of my head but I got a Panasonic for Christmas that also has bluetooth built in which allows your to use it with your cell phone. The one I have allows you to pair two cell phones to it. When you get a call all handsets tied to the base ring like a normal landline call. While I still prefer the hands free convenience of my plantronics BT headset for long conversations being able to use the same phone for both my landline and cell is great. It's also very handy for long distance calls too. You just hit the cell button when dialing instead of the usual talk button.
I'd be very temmpted but they don't offer them in the UK
Old Jul 19, 2012, 6:56 am

What would be a good brand?

From the things I have read here about Panasonic, im not sure if I should get a Panasonic anymore. Im currently looking at the Panasonic KX-TG4734B. For those of you who have this model, please share your thoughts about it. If its not a good model, what alternative brand and model would be good? Cheers
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:27 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Panasonic has been a branded name for years & staying in this shrinking field of cordless phone maker, and they have lots of models & variants - mabye it's chains specific (Best Buy, Walmart & Target, etc.) and always on the upper/pricer end of the spectrum. Our first analog TAM with remote access was from Panasonic (remember those with the C60 tapes plus a 2nd. short tape for announcement only - yeah, we've come a long way) and then one with a cordless/2 lines option plus that long rubber duck antenna a/k/a brick style in the 80's. Our last AT&T cordless wasn't great and the Uniden had static/reception issues (could've been old copper line issues) but like others, I find that our Vtech (it's Dect 6.0) 3 phones set being very reliable and good working range, into the front porch/sideway and out to the backyard if needed running off Fios's VOIP - paid around $70 on sale at nearby MicroCenter retail store 2 years ago.

And, it turned out for our Vtech - it's 2 AAA NiMH batteries joined together with plastic wrappings and soldered to its micro plugs, so if/when the batteries go - it's easy to replaced it as a DIY, threw out our last AT&T cordless as the replacement battery pack was like $15 plus S&H via online ordering only. But, local Radio Shacks supposingly can cross-reference matching, locate & free ship-to-local stores any cordless device's batteries (gee whiz, haven't been in them stores in ages, last time - for adapters & plugs, always good for those ...)

Last edited by Letitride3c; Jul 20, 2012 at 9:43 am Reason: typo - Vtech corrected
Old Jul 19, 2012, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I've had a pair of Panasonic phones for at least 12 years and they're still going strong on the original AAA rechargeable batteries if that helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.