Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Sign in using an external account

Old Jul 7, 12, 11:59 am   #1
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 1MM, UA Something or other under the new system MM, Costco General Member
Replacement for iGoogle as a home page?

I been using, for as long as I can remember, iGoogle for my home page. This is a personalized Google home page. So whenever I go to my home page on a device I get the same thing. My actual home page has a mix of 4 or so options for the main page. I can switch between these using links on the side bar as well as go to individual items on each page. One of these that I usually set for my landing page has things like the weather, headlines from my favorite blogs and a few other items. Another page listed on the sidebar has Google docs and mail, another has Google scholar for work stuff and another has a bunch of news sources. So it is a great setup, everything I want in one place. And they are discontinuing it. In the notice they say there are apps that do this now. Well, perhaps, but not on a computer and not all together. I would have to be switching from app to app to get all the functions which wont be as useful, convenient or nice.

So what do people use as their homepage? Are there customizable ones available that could provide the same functionality as iGoogle does or close to it? I used to use Yahoo as my home page and may have to check that out again. Other suggestions? Thanks.
Old Jul 7, 12, 12:41 pm   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG | UA 1K | TK Elite | Milepoint Gold | Greyhound RR
Flyertalk? Just kidding I just have a list of most visited links for my home page
Old Jul 7, 12, 12:46 pm   #3

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak View Post
I been using, for as long as I can remember, iGoogle for my home page. This is a personalized Google home page. So whenever I go to my home page on a device I get the same thing. My actual home page has a mix of 4 or so options for the main page. I can switch between these using links on the side bar as well as go to individual items on each page. One of these that I usually set for my landing page has things like the weather, headlines from my favorite blogs and a few other items. Another page listed on the sidebar has Google docs and mail, another has Google scholar for work stuff and another has a bunch of news sources. So it is a great setup, everything I want in one place. And they are discontinuing it. In the notice they say there are apps that do this now. Well, perhaps, but not on a computer and not all together. I would have to be switching from app to app to get all the functions which wont be as useful, convenient or nice.

So what do people use as their homepage? Are there customizable ones available that could provide the same functionality as iGoogle does or close to it? I used to use Yahoo as my home page and may have to check that out again. Other suggestions? Thanks.
I think the kind of personalised page Google (and Yahoo) gives is going out of fashion, hence Google pulling the plug. Yahoo will doubtless do the same next. My home page? I've arranged the widgets on my Samsung S3 to give me the "at a glance" information I want (the notification centre does the rest). I've never found something that does exactly what I want though.
Internaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 12, 2:09 pm   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 1MM, UA Something or other under the new system MM, Costco General Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internaut View Post
I think the kind of personalised page Google (and Yahoo) gives is going out of fashion, hence Google pulling the plug. Yahoo will doubtless do the same next. My home page? I've arranged the widgets on my Samsung S3 to give me the "at a glance" information I want (the notification centre does the rest). I've never found something that does exactly what I want though.
Phones are a lot easier than desktops/notebooks. It is really when I am on my computer that it is most useful.
Old Jul 7, 12, 3:16 pm   #5

I now have widgets near the address bar on chrome for google voice, gmail and google calendar, which are major part of my igoogle page. I can't find a good replacement for stock quotes, weather and a large clock on one page (plus gvoice, gmail and gcalendar).
Old Jul 7, 12, 3:35 pm   #6

Programs: DL Gold; Marriott Gold; *wood Gold; Avis 1st
Wondering about this too. Right now I'm trying out www.protopage.com
jalves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 12, 3:46 pm   #7

onlly apps? might desktop service stay?

After I read that cancellation notice I wondered if it might have meant app only, that maybe the desktop iG option might remain.

I read all my news there, five tabs I track, have links to Wired, ... some RSS feeds ...

Sylvia
SylviaCaras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 12, 4:32 pm   #8
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Diners Club

Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; HH & SPG Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak View Post
.? apps that do this now. Well, perhaps, but not on a computer ...
In Google's world there are PC apps:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore
mia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 12, 4:49 pm   #9

Programs: US Airways Platinum 2012, Hilton Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalves View Post
So far protopage is working well for me.
Jim
jwhite4304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 12, 10:49 pm   #10

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Hmm, I've been wondering this too. I will have to try protopage. Thanks for the tip.
Old Jul 7, 12, 10:50 pm   #11
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalves View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhite4304 View Post
So far protopage is working well for me.
Jim
Thanks for this suggestion. I signed up for Protopage and have a lot of my content transferred from iGoogle to that site. A bit different than iGoogle but pretty close. I think I will reinvigorate my My.Yahoo site as well.
Old Jul 8, 12, 8:50 pm   #12
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
We have until November of 2013 before igoogle goes away. I'm guessing that in the next 16 months something will come along to replace it. So there's plenty of time, and whatever will be a decent replacement, probably has not even been developed yet.
Old Jul 9, 12, 3:15 pm   #13

Programs: US DM, AAdvantage Gold
I've just read an article saying that netvibes is an alternative. Apparently they've gotten several hundred new accounts since the Google announcement and will be publishing a blog post in the next week describing how to move your iGoogle dashboard over.

I haven't personally tried the service yet so I can't vouch for it, but I'm going to give it a look. After reading the thread, I'm going to have to take a look at Protopage as well, looks like.
XanderS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 12, 8:04 pm   #14
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
I've been able to set up Protopage to about an 80% emulation of my iGoogle home page, and I'm hopeful that in the next year, we'll get options to completely emulate iGoogle.

Big advantage for Protopage is that you can stretch widgets across two columns of a three column setup, so for the first time, I can see all of the AccuWeather moving radar for Colorado. Yay!

Protopage seems more intuitive than netvibes, so I'm working with it instead.

My biggest miss so far is a simple US stock market summary widget - nothing is better than the Google Finance Portfolios widget, and yet no one else has anything close that I've been able to find, and I don't see how to get the code to directly port the widget over to Protopage.
Old Jul 10, 12, 3:29 am   #15

i hate the regular yahoo for home page but can not seem to get my mind to switch. Yahoo is a time waster sucker page. They have a deal where they tease you with these forbes articles and I think forbes boosts their click numbers or ad revenue. I expect a big story some day on how forbes does not have the eyes or clicks the claim.
Centurion is offline   Reply With Quote