Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bluetooth Hands-free Speakerphone for Car

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2012, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Bluetooth Hands-free Speakerphone for Car

I've decided its time to bring my old truck into the 21st century and equip it with a hands-free speakerphone, bluetooth variety.

The choices have been narrowed down to the Jabra Freeway and Motorola Cruiser 2. Both are well reviewed, and the positives and negatives seem similar.

Has anyone here compared the two directly? Any negative experiences with either? Are there models I should check out that I may not have fully appreciated?

Thanks.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 3:34 pm

Programs: LH HON
Titel hinzufügen
Old Jun 15, 2012, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daumueller
Titel hinzufügen
Huh?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 6:45 pm

You may be interested in purchasing a car stereo which includes Bluetooth capabilities. Not only will you have a more integrated BT system (you get a wired microphone you can mount anywhere in the vehicle) but also more music functionality (iPod, satellite radio, etc). For $200-300 you can get a nicely featured unit for your truck. If you are inclined, they usually are not hard to install.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

That's a possibility, but I've ripped the dash out of my truck once already to install an aux input for my old iRiver h120 MP3 player (long since replaced with an iPod Touch). I don't relish the thought of doing that again

The simplicity and portability of the dedicated speakerphone is attractive as I also occasionally rent a car for regional trips and few of them are Bluetooth equipped.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 5:29 am

Programs: OMNI Platinum
The Jabara Freeway goes for $114 on Amazon. Why would you buy something that expensive when there are cheaper options?

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Bluet...etooth+car+kit I bought this one for a friend and she has no complaints about it.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ewrfox
The Jabara Freeway goes for $114 on Amazon. Why would you buy something that expensive when there are cheaper options?

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Bluet...etooth+car+kit I bought this one for a friend and she has no complaints about it.
I haven't bought the Jabra Freeway, at least yet.

Features vary, and the two I've selected are equipped with those that I need. Most important are:

• Ability to pair with two phones simultaneously
  • Sufficient volume to work in a noisier vehicle (a Chevy Silverado in my case)
  • Very good noise cancellation
  • Some sort of SMS/email to speech (and vice versa) capability

The Freeway offers a very strong feature set, but appears to be weaker in the noise cancellation department. I'm leaning toward the Motorola Roadster 2 with its superior noise cancellation because of that, and it has enough of the remaining features to satisfy my needs.

Thanks for your input.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by PorkRind
I haven't bought the Jabra Freeway, at least yet.

Features vary, and the two I've selected are equipped with those that I need. Most important are:

The Freeway offers a very strong feature set, but appears to be weaker in the noise cancellation department. I'm leaning toward the Motorola Roadster 2 with its superior noise cancellation because of that, and it has enough of the remaining features to satisfy my needs.

Thanks for your input.
Oh, the one I posted has no of those features. I thought you were looking at car kit just to make and receive calls.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Oh, the one I posted has no of those features. I thought you were looking at car kit just to make and receive calls.
Well, that is the primary reason, but I probably should have clarified both the driving environment and my communications needs up-front. I carry two phones; a blackberry for work and a Razr MAXX for personal use. My truck is used primarily for personal travel, but I spend an hour or so on the road regularly, traveling between my primary and secondary (vacation) residences.

The bulk of my travel for business is done within northern New England, from the central coast region of Maine to central Massachusetts. For those trips I rent a car, as they're usually 150+ miles each way. Noise cancellation isn't as much an issue with the rentals, but the 2-phone requirement is still there
Old Jun 17, 2012, 5:32 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Originally Posted by PorkRind
I have an Eclipse AVN-2210p in one of my cars, installed after trying various BT options. It is a far superior device for making calls while on the move at high speed. It has all the above, just the SMS -> speech is a bit quiet, however the text appears on the screen (Nokia Lumia 800 - this SMS -> speech + text doesn't work with IP4).

The other benefit is that your contact list is transferred to the car, so far easier and safer (or at least less distracting) to initiate calls from a large touchscreen.

Originally Posted by fromYYZ_flyer
You may be interested in purchasing a car stereo which includes Bluetooth capabilities
Old Jun 17, 2012, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by willyroo
I have an Eclipse AVN-2210p in one of my cars, installed after trying various BT options. It is a far superior device for making calls while on the move at high speed. It has all the above, just the SMS -> speech is a bit quiet, however the text appears on the screen (Nokia Lumia 800 - this SMS -> speech + text doesn't work with IP4).

The other benefit is that your contact list is transferred to the car, so far easier and safer (or at least less distracting) to initiate calls from a large touchscreen.
Unfortunately, it no longer appears to be in production. And it appears to require significantly more installation than either of my original choices. A bit pricier, too
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:38 am

Programs: Don't you know who I am????
I've used the Freeway quite a bit with rentals that don't have BT (or that have no manual and a non-obvious pairing procedure), and it has served me well. Never had a complaint about audio quality. It has excellent battery life, uses a motion sensor to put itself to sleep, and it is the loudest visor/type device I have used. In Montana and Colorado, I've ended up with a Jeep Wrangler a few times, the cabin of that vehicle demands a loud device and the Jabra was more than adequate. I have been in a vehicle when the Moto was in use, I'd say the incoming quality was similar, but I believe the Jabra has louder output volume. Can't speak to the outbound call quality. The Jabra has been on sale at Best Buy a few times, so if you can wait, you are likely to see it < $100 US again.

Cheers.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by thecoldhandoftechnology
I've used the Freeway quite a bit with rentals that don't have BT (or that have no manual and a non-obvious pairing procedure), and it has served me well. Never had a complaint about audio quality. It has excellent battery life, uses a motion sensor to put itself to sleep, and it is the loudest visor/type device I have used. In Montana and Colorado, I've ended up with a Jeep Wrangler a few times, the cabin of that vehicle demands a loud device and the Jabra was more than adequate. I have been in a vehicle when the Moto was in use, I'd say the incoming quality was similar, but I believe the Jabra has louder output volume. Can't speak to the outbound call quality. The Jabra has been on sale at Best Buy a few times, so if you can wait, you are likely to see it < $100 US again.

Cheers.

If you don't mind an open box item, you can get the Freeway for $54.99

http://www.n1wireless.com/Bluetooth_...l#.T98s4PXCQXk
Old Jun 18, 2012, 8:50 am
Original Poster

If you don't mind an open box item, you can get the Freeway for $54.99

http://www.n1wireless.com/Bluetooth_...l#.T98s4PXCQXk
I've had mixed results with open box stuff; I generally go with new for that reason. Had I not already ordered the Motorola Roadster 2 late last night, though, I might've taken a chance on this.

If the Moto device doesn't work out, I'll give N1Wireless a shot. Thanks for the link!
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:01 am

FWIW, I've been using the motorola roadster (although I don't think it's the 2 version), and for the most part I've been satisfied with it. Voice quality is decent enough, and I can crank the volume up enough that I've never had a problem hearing it. I do find that I can't use the transmit to the radio part, I can never seem to get a clear signal to the radio when I do that (but quite honestly, over the years, I've *never* been able to get an fm transmit to the radio device to work adequately).

Never tried the text message reading capability, I don't believe in text messages .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.