Search
Old Dec 5, 2013, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nkedel
Some of the popular routers in this thread:

Edimax 6258NL (or via Amazon)

Asus wL-330nul

TP-Link WR702N

TP-LINK TL-WR710N (out of production, but superceded by similar models)

Edimax BR-6258n

Hootoo Tripmate Nano (TM-02)

GLi GL-AR300M

GL.iNet GL-AR750 Travel AC Router - a higher-powered dual band option; probably bigger than most people want, but if you need it... (has its own thread here)
Print Wikipost

World's Smallest Wireless Router for Hotel Rooms

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2013, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Solid little router! Bonus: AC adapter is 1A, so it'll also charge an iPad. Chipset inside the router is the Realtek RTL8196 so I don't think we'll ever see DD-WRT or Tomato running on it.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 4:38 pm

Ugggg.....I got caught up in the frenzy!
I've been trying to figure out my Apple Airport Express at home and read how excited you guys got about the EDIMAX BR-6258n. When I saw only 2 left on Amazon, I couldn't stop myself!

Now, with the keyboard not even cold, I am trying to figure out if this actually solves my problem any better than the AE?

I am trying to
1. Use a wifi router for traveling when all I have is an ipad and iphone (no ethernet jack)
- this would mean both boosting a poor wifi hotel connection AND/OR converting a wired connection to wifi

2. Boost/bridge my home wifi to areas in the house where the signal is week

The AE is about the size of a cigarette box but it is weighty. On the road, both domestic and internationally, it's success is spotty. I think I may have realized that it may only really work when the Express is connected by Ethernet. Or....Maybe it can only relay a wireless signal it receives if the original WIFI router is an Apple product??

At home, even though the instructions tell me it is capable of either serving as a bridge or creating it's own private network (it does acknowledge receiving the signal from my Linksys router), I cannot determine if it is actually doing anything. The weak areas of the house still do not receive a strong signal. And if I have to hard wire it to the modem or router, it's just sitting right next to the original signal. That does me no good.

So........a short answer to my long question ........does this Edimax receive and transmit a wifi signal????

Please hurry.....I'm still in "shipping soon" mode on Amazon

Last edited by msk6261; Feb 1, 2013 at 5:08 am
Old Jan 31, 2013, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't follow.

The Edimax will receive a wifi signal, NAT it, and send out a different SSID for your private network.

It can also be a WDS bridge. So it would seem to do what you need, but you will need to reconfigure it each time.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I don't follow.

The Edimax will receive a wifi signal, NAT it, and send out a different SSID for your private network.

It can also be a WDS bridge. So it would seem to do what you need, but you will need to reconfigure it each time.
I have 3 travel routers (ASUS, Airlive and Tenda) but am getting caught up in the Edimax frenzy too!

I downloaded their docs and they show a screenshot for WISP mode that seems to indicate this will support WiFi over 5GHZ band. Can any owner confirm that it is dual-band and that this is not a typo?

gfunkdave, can you test the LAN port in WISP mode and see if it can be used to connect a wired device to the network?

Thanks.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by unmesh
I have 3 travel routers (ASUS, Airlive and Tenda) but am getting caught up in the Edimax frenzy too!

I downloaded their docs and they show a screenshot for WISP mode that seems to indicate this will support WiFi over 5GHZ band. Can any owner confirm that it is dual-band and that this is not a typo?

gfunkdave, can you test the LAN port in WISP mode and see if it can be used to connect a wired device to the network?

Thanks.
I am 99% sure it's 2.4GHz only. I don't have any 5GHz stuff to check.

When in WISP mode, it bridges the two ethernet ports to the LAN side of things.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am 99% sure it's 2.4GHz only. I don't have any 5GHz stuff to check.

I checked, and I could not pull in the 5GHz signal in my home.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by ScottC
I checked, and I could not pull in the 5GHz signal in my home.
It is likely a typo or wishful thinking on their/my part

Does using Site Survey in WISP mode automatically transfer the selected wireless LANs SSID and channel into the setting fields and bring up a Security dialog or does that have to be done manually? The documentation is insufficiently clear on this.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 8:05 pm

That is even better than I had hoped.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by unmesh
It is likely a typo or wishful thinking on their/my part

Does using Site Survey in WISP mode automatically transfer the selected wireless LANs SSID and channel into the setting fields and bring up a Security dialog or does that have to be done manually? The documentation is insufficiently clear on this.
Yes, all automagic.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I have created a monster.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:56 am

EDIMAX BR-6258n vs TP LINK-WR702N

I was on the verge of ordering the TP LINK WR702N, when I read the new posts about the Edimax. I see that the price is $19.99 for TP Link vs $27 for the Edimax. The Edimax is smaller and has both Wan and Lan ports.

I plan to use it at hotels when traveling, either to transform a wired Internet access to wireless or for wireless to wireless - making signal stronger in the hotel room. I will have only wireless devices with me.

Any opinions which one is better?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 7:33 pm

In case Amazon sells out it's also available at Walmart and Meritline.

Interesting little router.

http://www.meritline.com/edimax-150m...--p-68965.aspx

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Edimax-150...Black/20611775
Old Feb 1, 2013, 7:43 pm

I should note that I still prefer the new Asus to this, as the Asus should be able to do Ethernet->USB, so double as a non-wifi ethernet adapter for ultrabooks (like the Macbook Air).
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by drbobguy
I should note that I still prefer the new Asus to this, as the Asus should be able to do Ethernet->USB, so double as a non-wifi ethernet adapter for ultrabooks (like the Macbook Air).
Do you expect that mode to perform better than using the travel router as a .11n WiFi access point or router when connected to the Ethernet cable?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by walterj
I was on the verge of ordering the TP LINK WR702N, when I read the new posts about the Edimax. I see that the price is $19.99 for TP Link vs $27 for the Edimax. The Edimax is smaller and has both Wan and Lan ports.

I plan to use it at hotels when traveling, either to transform a wired Internet access to wireless or for wireless to wireless - making signal stronger in the hotel room. I will have only wireless devices with me.

Any opinions which one is better?
The WR702N seems fine except that the Edimax has two Ethernet jacks that allows it to have a wired LAN in router mode. This may not be useful to you but I've found it useful on occasion when I'm staying with friends and they have a desktop directly connected over Ethernet to their broadband modem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.