Search
Old Dec 5, 2013, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nkedel
Some of the popular routers in this thread:

Edimax 6258NL (or via Amazon)

Asus wL-330nul

TP-Link WR702N

TP-LINK TL-WR710N (out of production, but superceded by similar models)

Edimax BR-6258n

Hootoo Tripmate Nano (TM-02)

GLi GL-AR300M

GL.iNet GL-AR750 Travel AC Router - a higher-powered dual band option; probably bigger than most people want, but if you need it... (has its own thread here)
Print Wikipost

World's Smallest Wireless Router for Hotel Rooms

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
I have been using TP-LINK TL-WR702N for quite some time and they are rock solid. In fact they (I have two) are running 24/7 in AP mode in my apartment without any issues. I am surprised:

System Up Time: 167 day(s) 21:51:00

In normal circumstances cheap products would require a reboot every week or so to improve stability.

I am however considering upgrading to TL-WR710N as it has 2 RJ-45 ports, so it can receive internet via WAN and provide it via LAN wired to your laptop. It can also act as a WiFi client (WISP mode) at hotels which for some strange reasons didn't equip their rooms with ethernet ports.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by MareLuce
how to make hotel challenge screen appear?

it worked fine last night

tonight challenge screen only appears if I connect to the hotel router, not the Edimax 6258n
It looks like your Edimax is no longer connecting to the hotel's WiFi network as its WAN interface.

Can you connect to your Edimax and take a look at the status screen by pointing your browser to its (gateway) IP address?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Just bought an Asus wL-330nul. Looking forward to trying it out next week. Will report back findings/impressions. Hope it's as good as advertised. Looks very small - but comes in an electrostatic bag. Do I have to keep it in this bag at all times when not in use?
Old Aug 9, 2014, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Just bought an Asus wL-330nul. Looking forward to trying it out next week. Will report back findings/impressions. Hope it's as good as advertised. Looks very small - but comes in an electrostatic bag. Do I have to keep it in this bag at all times when not in use?
It's been bouncing around my gadget bag unprotected for over a year with no ill effects...
Old Aug 11, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; HH Diamond; GM for everything else
FYI: ASUS WL-330NUL Firmware Version 3.0.0.37 is available on company's website. It claims improved security without more details.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by c.l.i.a
FYI: ASUS WL-330NUL Firmware Version 3.0.0.37 is available on company's website. It claims improved security without more details.
2015 ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.

I wonder if it can get me lotto numbers?
Old Aug 12, 2014, 6:20 pm
haa

Programs: No more status, free agent now
Originally Posted by c.l.i.a
Just checked, and it does not fix the remote command line access security bug (which allows anyone even from the outside network access to the Linux command line of the router without authentication, which is bad).

Possible workaround: Stop the administration web server temporarily on the device yourself to prevent access to the problem page, after you have configured the device using it's web administration pages.
  1. Go to the router admin web login page 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1, no need to login
  2. Change the URL in your browser after the IP address to /Main_AdmStatus_Content.asp
  3. Type killall httpd and press return
  4. Verify that your web browser can not connect to the router administration web page any longer
This is a temporary change only, it will work again normally after powering off the device.

Unfortunately it seems that all these devices have similar security issues :-( even if they are really nice and convenient :-( :-(
Old Aug 20, 2014, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by unmesh
It looks like your Edimax is no longer connecting to the hotel's WiFi network as its WAN interface.

Can you connect to your Edimax and take a look at the status screen by pointing your browser to its (gateway) IP address?
Thanks a bunch unmesh :-:. That fixed the problem.

I simply logged on to the admin screen from my browser and rebooted the router from there.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 7:07 pm

Programs: QF Silver
Instead of starting a new thread just wanted to pass along that as of today Amazon is selling a HooToo travel router for $15. I don't own one but it's received reasonable reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HZWOQZ6
Old Oct 11, 2014, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Zarf4
Instead of starting a new thread just wanted to pass along that as of today Amazon is selling a HooToo travel router for $15. I don't own one but it's received reasonable reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HZWOQZ6
It's showing at $19.99 for me.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
It's showing at $19.99 for me.
It was $15 when it was posted. I looked, but didn't buy. Sometimes those Amazon price drops are brief.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
pretty decent little travel router for 25$ , 802.11 AC to boot

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...-20&ascsubtag=[referrer|feedly.com[type|link[postId|1653271913[asin|B00KUB48KW[authorId|5727177402741770316
Old Oct 31, 2014, 11:01 pm

Anyone using the HooToo Tripmate Elite? Looks pretty interesting with battery charging capability.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 12:31 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
What's the use of these? Give me a practical situation where they were useful for you.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by MDFFlyer
What's the use of these? Give me a practical situation where they were useful for you.
In some hotels there are charges for wired/wireless access on a per-device basis. These units would allow you to share a single wired (and in some cases wireless) connection across multiple computers/tablets/smartphones, at a significant savings.

I've also used a similar unit at a number of work sites that provided wired connections that didn't require authentication for internet access, but their wireless access did. I plugged my travel router into the wired connection and could then connect to the internet, using it as an access point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.