Search
Old Dec 5, 2013, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nkedel
Some of the popular routers in this thread:

Edimax 6258NL (or via Amazon)

Asus wL-330nul

TP-Link WR702N

TP-LINK TL-WR710N (out of production, but superceded by similar models)

Edimax BR-6258n

Hootoo Tripmate Nano (TM-02)

GLi GL-AR300M

GL.iNet GL-AR750 Travel AC Router - a higher-powered dual band option; probably bigger than most people want, but if you need it... (has its own thread here)
Print Wikipost

World's Smallest Wireless Router for Hotel Rooms

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:13 am

More information, I'm starting to figure this thing out now.

The cmd page on the wan side seems to have been introduced in firmware 3.0.0.23 where they changed the way the adapter selects the Ethernet mode. (screen shot above) from 3.0.0.23 onwards this mode is selected automatically, the screen above flashes up briefly when you click on administration and then goes to the firmware update page.

From 3.0.0.23 onwards I have found that if you power up the stick connected to a lan and power adapter then it will configure as a router/nat. However of you power it up in WISP (ie just plug it into the power adapter) and once it is fully booted plug in an Ethernet cable it will re-configure itself into Ethernet mode where it just acts as an access point between wifi and Lan with no DHCP,NAT or firewall from the stick. If you have the config up when you do this it will put up a pop up that it is reconfiguring and when its done (you may drop off its wifi in the process) it will then display operation mode as Ethernet Adapter mode at the top of the page in firmware 3.0.0.30. (below)

I think this is quite important as its doesn't seem to be documented and if un aware a user could plug it into the hotel power outlet and then connect a wired connection and end up with an AP and not a router with firewall/nat

I haven't looked into how it behaves when connected to a laptop USB yet and I'm sure there are plenty of other combinations that could give other results, such as if it powers up in WISP but doesn't have credentials to connect to wifi, what does it do then if you plug a cable in?

I think I will be reverting it back to 3.0.0.20 firmware where I can control this behaviour and the CMD page venerability doesn't seem to be present on the WAN side.

Old Nov 13, 2013, 10:50 am

Travel router for dummies

I have been trying to follow this thread, but getting so confused about some of the discussions. I am looking for a travel router; in the past I have just taken my laptop and used it to share the internet connection to various wireless devices. SO, I want something that can either plug into an ethernet connection or rebroadcast the wireless connection in hotels that require you to pay per device. I would also like to be able to change the router password to make it more secure. And I want to be able to manage the setup of the router in the hotel with my iPad. Which of the following would meet my needs? Is there any other feature I should take into consideration?
TP-link TL-WR700N
Edimax BR-6258n
Ztxek MWR102
Asus WL-330NUL

Sorry to be so dense. I can follow directions to set things up as long as they are fairly clear. I have picked up the Tp-link and have gotten it to access my home network, change the password, etc.

Thanks so much for your help and your patience!
Old Nov 13, 2013, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinTX
I have been trying to follow this thread, but getting so confused about some of the discussions. I am looking for a travel router; in the past I have just taken my laptop and used it to share the internet connection to various wireless devices. SO, I want something that can either plug into an ethernet connection or rebroadcast the wireless connection in hotels that require you to pay per device. I would also like to be able to change the router password to make it more secure. And I want to be able to manage the setup of the router in the hotel with my iPad. Which of the following would meet my needs? Is there any other feature I should take into consideration?
TP-link TL-WR700N
Edimax BR-6258n
Ztxek MWR102
Asus WL-330NUL

Sorry to be so dense. I can follow directions to set things up as long as they are fairly clear. I have picked up the Tp-link and have gotten it to access my home network, change the password, etc.

Thanks so much for your help and your patience!
Of these devices, I have the Edimax. It can do what you want though the setup over wireless can be tedious as you move from location to location. There is an entire thread discussing this!

Ideally, you would like persistence of wireless settings and behavior where that makes sense for maximum portability. My Tenda W150M is best for this among my 4 travel routers, the other two being an older ASUS and an AirLive Mini.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 4:50 pm

I have the Asus WL-330NUL. The default pass code is a string of numbers etched into the side. Since those numbers are presumably random, I've never worried about resetting the password. I don't recall any problems connecting to it. There was a program on it that you can access when it's plugged in to a computer. That provides a user-friendly interface if you don't like going in through a web browser.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
The Edimax BR-6258n is unique because despite the diminutive size it has two Ethernet ports. I also carry a USB powered 8 port switch (ZuniConnect ZS108F) it's seriously small and lightweight (1.3 x 2.7 x 0.6 inches ; 2.4 ounces), the router is 1.13 ounces, all USB powered, I have a 4 port USB charger with me anyways. Long story short, you go to a code sprint, if everyone brings an Ethernet cable, the often crappy wifi can be replaced by the help of these two. I swear the Ethernet cable is heavier
Old Nov 13, 2013, 11:49 pm

I can follow directions to set things up as long as they are fairly clear.
If you're looking for well written documentation, don't buy the Edimax.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by unmesh
Of these devices, I have the Edimax. It can do what you want though the setup over wireless can be tedious as you move from location to location. There is an entire thread discussing this!

Ideally, you would like persistence of wireless settings and behavior where that makes sense for maximum portability. My Tenda W150M is best for this among my 4 travel routers, the other two being an older ASUS and an AirLive Mini.
Yes, I saw that thread. So basically, aside from the persistence issue, these travel routers are all the same? I assume they all default to the router mode, which involves being connected the hotel ethernet, input the user name/password, and you are good to go. What is the mode called where you connect the router to the hotel's wireless, input the user name/password, and share that connection with my devices?

Again, thanks for the "dummies" help.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 1:16 pm

Yes, I saw that thread. So basically, aside from the persistence issue, these travel routers are all the same? I assume they all default to the router mode, which involves being connected the hotel ethernet, input the user name/password, and you are good to go. What is the mode called where you connect the router to the hotel's wireless, input the user name/password, and share that connection with my devices?

Again, thanks for the "dummies" help.
They are all pretty similar for most purposes. A common concern nowadays is whether they can be easily configured without ever being plugged into a client device with a wired network port.

Hotel WiFi connecting to your local WiFi is commonly called WISP mode (for Wireless Internet Service Provider)
Old Dec 5, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: VA WP, UA 1k, QR G, AZ WP
bump for firmware fix: TP-Link MR3020

just updated the firmware to TL-MR3020_V1_130929 and it seems to have fixed the dreaded "no SSID when WISP can't connect" problem. I did have to give it a while on startup - the wired connection comes straight up, but wifi takes a while.

(luckily amazon were slow and hadn't sent the asus 330n3g I had on order)
Old Dec 6, 2013, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; HH Diamond; GM for everything else
Originally Posted by dkw55

I think I will be reverting it back to 3.0.0.20 firmware where I can control this behaviour and the CMD page venerability doesn't seem to be present on the WAN side.
Wow, I had not checked this thread for quite a while. What a big surprise to read the findings you guys discovered.

I did purchased WL-300NUL a couple of months ago, and had 2 trips with it already. I think I will downgrade the firmware as you suggested as I will need it during my next trip starting in a few days.

Thanks.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 2:49 pm

So what device(s) should I buy if I want to enjoy this feature with me?
Old Dec 6, 2013, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If you're after cheap and small, Frys has the TP-Link WR702N for $15, today only. $4 shipping, or build it up to $23 and shipping is free.

http://www.frys.com/product/6980167
Old Dec 6, 2013, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by c.l.i.a
Wow, I had not checked this thread for quite a while. What a big surprise to read the findings you guys discovered.

I did purchased WL-300NUL a couple of months ago, and had 2 trips with it already. I think I will downgrade the firmware as you suggested as I will need it during my next trip starting in a few days.

Thanks.
will you downgrade or download? Is there a reasons to downgrade, was some functionality lost in the latest release?
Old Dec 6, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
Originally Posted by iamife
So what device(s) should I buy if I want to enjoy this feature with me?
I have a Asus WL-330NUL and it's awesome. There have been some security issues noted above, but I just don't worry about them. Wifi doesn't reach that far and chances of someone within a 2-3 room radius of me at a hotel bumbling into my network aren't very high.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by dkw55

The cmd page on the wan side seems to have been introduced in firmware 3.0.0.23 where they changed the way the adapter selects the Ethernet mode. (screen shot above) from 3.0.0.23 onwards this mode is selected automatically, the screen above flashes up briefly when you click on administration and then goes to the firmware update page.

From 3.0.0.23 onwards I have found that if you power up the stick connected to a lan and power adapter then it will configure as a router/nat. However of you power it up in WISP (ie just plug it into the power adapter) and once it is fully booted plug in an Ethernet cable it will re-configure itself into Ethernet mode where it just acts as an access point between wifi and Lan with no DHCP,NAT or firewall from the stick. If you have the config up when you do this it will put up a pop up that it is reconfiguring and when its done (you may drop off its wifi in the process) it will then display operation mode as Ethernet Adapter mode at the top of the page in firmware 3.0.0.30. (below)

I think this is quite important as its doesn't seem to be documented and if un aware a user could plug it into the hotel power outlet and then connect a wired connection and end up with an AP and not a router with firewall/nat

Originally Posted by c.l.i.a

Thanks.
Originally Posted by nmenaker
will you downgrade or download? Is there a reasons to downgrade, was some functionality lost in the latest release?
Originally Posted by RevJim
I have a Asus WL-330NUL and it's awesome. There have been some security issues noted above, but I just don't worry about them. Wifi doesn't reach that far and chances of someone within a 2-3 room radius of me at a hotel bumbling into my network aren't very high.
Well, after playing around with this for a while, I think I'm gonna go with RevJim's approach: I'm not gonna worry about it. For a couple of reasons.

First, I had upgraded My 330-NUL to the 3.0.0.30 firmware, and that version does NOT show the option for "Operation Mode", as dkw55 pointed out in post #286. However, even after I downgraded to firmware version 3.0.0.20, when I navigated to the "Administration" tab of the cmd page, it still did not show me any option for Operation Mode. I don't know if there's something about having upgraded past firmware version x.x.20 that removes that option forever or not. Furthermore, it also does not even show the status line that confirms the current Operation Mode, Firmware Version, and SSID. When I upgraded back to version 3.0.0.30, I still don't get a tab anywhere that allows me to select what type of Operation Mode (ie, Router Mode vs Ethernet Adapter Mode - I'd pretty much always want Router Mode for the security). But at least now, when I navigate to the Administration tab on the cmd page, it displays a status line across the top which at least confirms for me that I'm in Router Mode, along with the Firmware version and SSID.

Second, I haven't been able to reproduce dkw55's issue of accidentally enabling the Asus into the Ethernet Adapter mode (ie, AP mode). Even when I tried to boot it straight into WISP, as he suggested. Not sure why not, but I'm glad I can't.

Thirdly, I think RevJim has a point. This gadget only has a range that could reach two or three hotel rooms away from me. What are the odds that anyone in those rooms would have the motivation and the tech savvy to hack into my cloud? I'm weighing that against the incredible convenience of how small and simple it is to use this device.

Last edited by thegasguru; Dec 7, 2013 at 4:06 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.