FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Android Can't Send/Receive MMS Messages (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1349617-android-cant-send-receive-mms-messages.html)

joshwex90 May 24, 2012 12:27 pm

Android Can't Send/Receive MMS Messages

I have the Droid RAZR running 2.3.6. I can't send or receive MMS messages. I've tried sending pics, and tried receiving a phone number, but it won't send or download the number.

The message I get is:

MMS messages can not be sent or received until the data connection is restored. Please check your MMS APN configuration in mobile network settings.
Any suggestions? I have full 3G service or a strong WiFi connection, and still have the problem.

Thanks

TWA884 May 24, 2012 12:58 pm

Try going into the System Updates menu and update the profile. If that does not work, it may be a network issue. Contact your carrier's tech support.

I had a similar issue with my htc EVO 4G. They had to reconfigure the phone's network settings.

joshwex90 May 24, 2012 1:10 pm

I will be forced to speak with Orange :mad: Every since they introduced their new, cheaper, and yet somehow not at all competitive plan, they are IMPOSSIBLE to get a hold of!
Thanks

TWA884 May 24, 2012 2:37 pm

You can restore the phone to its original factory specs by doing a hard reset. That clears most issues, however, you'll lose your settings and will have to reinstall your apps.

gfunkdave May 24, 2012 3:14 pm

The phone seems to be telling you that the MMS APN settings are wrong. Have you checked them?

joshwex90 May 24, 2012 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 18636756)
You can restore the phone to its original factory specs by doing a hard reset. That clears most issues, however, you'll lose your settings and will have to reinstall your apps.

I don't wanna do all that and lose all settings and apps

Originally Posted by gfunkdave (Post 18637009)
The phone seems to be telling you that the MMS APN settings are wrong. Have you checked them?

The problem is there's nothing to change them to. I go, and I only see "orange" to select. I clicked "restore to default APN settings" but that did nothing

TWA884 May 24, 2012 7:24 pm

There is a free app that manages those settings. It's rated fairly highly. I have no personal experience with it.
Google play - Tweakker

Worldwide Internet and MMS APN settings - Tweakker is the best APN manager tool that helps you set up your APN settings - Access Point Name - for internet and mms connection in 3 easy steps:
1. Select your operator or provider
2. Select your subscription or plan
3. Tweakker sets up Internet & MMS APN
Ice Cream Sandwich is not supported at the moment because of Google's modifications. We are working on a solution.

<snip>

joshwex90 May 25, 2012 1:18 am

Started downloading it - hope it works! Though when I clicked "install," it gave me that annoying message "this app is compatible with SOME of your devices," which has always been code-word for you can download this to your American phone, but not Israeli. (Like the Ally bank app, or Netflix, or Pandora, or B&N Nook, etc.) Weird that the phone I couldn't download it to was my American phone.

joshwex90 May 25, 2012 5:52 am

That was a fail. Now, I can't connect to the internet at all unless I'm on WiFi

printingray May 25, 2012 11:29 am

Your phone needs a connection to MMSC server which is much similar to email server. Secondly, you need connection to access the server. Most operators don't accept MMS on default internet connection provided on phone. If so, you have to configure another connection known as WAP.

dan1431 May 25, 2012 11:38 am

Depending on the device (I am not familiar with Moto devices exactly as they run BLUR on top of Android you will either need two APN settings or it can be combined in one setting.

Again, depending on the country ORANGE is operating in, the APN settings can be different.

However, if you are on ORANGE UK the settings would be as follows:
[N.B. AGAIN DEPENDING ON MANUFACTURER YOU CAN COMBINE THE SETTINGS OR YOU WILL HAVE TO CREATE TWO APNs]

Name: Orange Internet (or whatever suits your fancy)
APN: orangeinternet
Proxy: <not set>
Port: <not set>
Username: <not set>
Password: <not set>
Server: <not set>
MMSC: <not set>
MMS proxy: <not set>
MMS port: <not set>
MMS protocol: <not set>
MCC: 234
MNC: 33
APN type: default,internet

Name: Orange MMS (or whatever suits your fancy)
APN: orangemms
Proxy: 192.168.224.010
Port: 8080
Username: Orange
Password: Multimedia
MMSC: http://mms.orange.co.uk
MMS proxy: 192.168.224.010
MMS port: 8080
MMS protocol: WAP 2.0
APN type: mms

Dan

TWA884 May 25, 2012 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by dan1431 (Post 18641748)
Depending on the device (I am not familiar with Moto devices exactly as they run BLUR on top of Android you will either need two APN settings or it can be combined in one setting.

Again, depending on the country ORANGE is operating in, the APN settings can be different.

However, if you are on ORANGE UK the settings would be as follows:
[N.B. AGAIN DEPENDING ON MANUFACTURER YOU CAN COMBINE THE SETTINGS OR YOU WILL HAVE TO CREATE TWO APNs]

Name: Orange Internet (or whatever suits your fancy)
APN: orangeinternet
Proxy: <not set>
Port: <not set>
Username: <not set>
Password: <not set>
MMSC: <not set>
MMS proxy: <not set>
MMS port: <not set>
MMS protocol: <not set>
APN type: default,internet

Name: Orange MMS (or whatever suits your fancy)
APN: orangemms
Proxy: 192.168.224.010
Port: 8080
Username: Orange
Password: Multimedia
MMSC: http://mms.orange.co.uk
MMS proxy: 192.168.224.010
MMS port: 8080
MMS protocol: WAP 2.0
APN type: mms

Dan

Josh' carrier is Orange in Israel, not Orange in the UK. The settings you posted appear to be for the UK carrier.

joshwex90 May 27, 2012 11:41 am

All's well that ends well - I searched in Hebrew the problem, hoping someone with specific knowledge of Androids with Orange in Israel, and I sent a text message to some automated response number that reset my APN. No one seems to know though how to fix the MMS issue. At least I have internet back, and I guess I'll try speaking to Orange again, though that's been unsuccessful the last few times

TWA884 May 28, 2012 4:38 pm

I found these setting on APN Changer:

Orange

Orange Israel voice network uses GSM 900/1800 frequency and UMTS technology. Orange Israel 3G data network uses HSPDA technology and covers over 90% of the country. Most GSM 3G devices can be used on the network, among them iPhone, iPad, BlackBerry, Android smartphones, different cellular modems etc.

APN settings
  • APN: uinternet
  • Username: orange (may also be left blank)
  • Password: orange (may also be left blank)

for enabling MMS - add these :

And xda-developers:

Orange, Internet:
Name: Orange 3G
APN: uinternet
Username: orange
Password: orange
MMC: 425
MNC: 01
APN type: default

Orange, MMS:
Name: Orange MMS