Wiki Posts
Search

European Union Lowers Voice and Data Roaming Fees

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2012, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
European Union Lowers Voice and Data Roaming Fees

Good news for many travelers (including me)...

European Union to Lower Roaming Fees for Voice and Data

The European Parliament voted on Thursday to approve a plan that will significantly lower the cost of roaming for customers of European Union mobile operators when visiting other EU countries starting July 1

Price controls on roaming were first put into effect in July 2007 and allowable roaming charges have been lowered every year since.

The current roaming cap for placing voice calls is 35 cents per minute and that will fall …
<SNIP>
Article continues here
Old May 11, 2012, 12:03 am

Awwww yeah.
Old May 11, 2012, 12:04 am

Aaaaaaaaand the link keeps timing out for me. So, NYT link.
Old May 11, 2012, 12:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
A new border hardware security system was being installed in our Irvine data center. Sorry about the timeout but it is no longer timing out.

Working link is here.
Old May 11, 2012, 1:10 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
From the NYT article:

the legislation adopted by the European Parliament will allow E.U. residents to buy roaming services from a carrier besides their regular operator beginning in 2014
Sounds amazing for consumers, but it'll probably be a nightmare to implement.
Old May 11, 2012, 10:28 am

Programs: Various
Hooray for us, planning our big Italy trip in June, rather than July.

Still, I'm happy to have this the next time around.
Old May 11, 2012, 12:20 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold and Virgin America for a few months
The current roaming cap for placing voice calls is 35 cents per minute and that will fall to 29 cents on July 1. The cap for incoming calls will fall from 11 cents to 8 cents then and is scheduled to drop to 5 cents by July 2014.

Sounds better , still expensive , but it sure is in the right direction

Soarer
Old May 18, 2012, 9:51 am

Programs: AC*E, Accor Platinum, Hilton Silver
While the voice call charges are already on the acceptable levels, data roaming will be ridiculously expensive even in 2014. 700 EUR/GB in July and 200EUR in 2014...
Old May 18, 2012, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by dawk
While the voice call charges are already on the acceptable levels, data roaming will be ridiculously expensive even in 2014. 700 EUR/GB in July and 200EUR in 2014...
True, but you can check your email abroad without going broke. Streaming or even Google Maps will be a problem.
Old May 18, 2012, 8:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
With so many different prepaid providers, there's plenty of competition for lower cost offers. Also note that these will be the MAX charges allowed. I bet that many companies will offer even better rates.
Old May 19, 2012, 1:53 am

Programs: AC*E, Accor Platinum, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
Also note that these will be the MAX charges allowed. I bet that many companies will offer even better rates.
True, they are MAX charges, but so they were since August 2007, and not many providers were interested in offering anything below the maximum.
Old May 19, 2012, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by dawk
True, they are MAX charges, but so they were since August 2007, and not many providers were interested in offering anything below the maximum.
I've seen some prepaids like Vodafone offer alternative roaming deals which are pretty good. I've also seen certain roaming deals for cross-border roaming between two related countries (e.g. Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland).
Old May 29, 2012, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by soarer
The current roaming cap for placing voice calls is 35 cents per minute and that will fall to 29 cents on July 1. The cap for incoming calls will fall from 11 cents to 8 cents then and is scheduled to drop to 5 cents by July 2014.

Sounds better , still expensive , but it sure is in the right direction

Soarer
Yep, these prices still far exceed the actual costs of providing the service, but it's movement towards a good goal. International roaming poses no different technical demands than domestic roaming with the exception of a tiny amount of overhead to deal with the computational cost of dealing with different currencies and perhaps a small amount of time for the company's administration to work with cross-border partners subject to different laws (a cost that is almost nil when spread across the many thousands of users who are roaming).

Even the internal costs of domestic roaming are grossly inflated, even if they are hidden from most mobile users. The cost to provide service to a roaming customer is only a tiny bit greater than the cost to provide to a subscriber of that network--just enough to cover billing the partner carrier for the usage (a few cents per user). Roaming fees are a profit center, and all of the wireless companies know it.

Good to see progress on this front, though! I hope it spreads beyond the EU sometime soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.