iPhone airplane mode to avoid roaming charges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

iPhone airplane mode to avoid roaming charges

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2012, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by jumpingbean
Maybe this should be a new post question but I'll try and ask here. Does anyone know how iMessage works? I can't seem to work it out. Can I send iMessages to friends and family at home without incurring a fee? Obviously they need to have an iPhone with iOS 5 installed.
You should incur any fees, unless your bandwidth is capped. Messages sent between iOS 5 devices are not transmitted as SMS/MMS messages, and should not carry any charges with your cellular carrier.
Old May 24, 2012, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by jumpingbean
Maybe this should be a new post question but I'll try and ask here. Does anyone know how iMessage works? I can't seem to work it out. Can I send iMessages to friends and family at home without incurring a fee? Obviously they need to have an iPhone with iOS 5 installed.
and/or install Messages beta on your mac.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/mountain...messages-beta/

-David
Old May 24, 2012, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by akonradi
You should incur any fees, unless your bandwidth is capped. Messages sent between iOS 5 devices are not transmitted as SMS/MMS messages, and should not carry any charges with your cellular carrier.
To clarify this a bit: iMessage sends messages using your data plan or WiFi, if you are connected to a WiFi network. You do not incur SMS charges. Such messages use very little data so would not result in charges unless you go over your monthly data limit.

BTW, if you use iMessage, "free" data-sent messages are in blue, whereas messages sent by SMS are in green.
Old May 26, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
always

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Wifi and Airplane Mode might be something that only works in newer iOS versions - 4 or 5.
this has always worked, since iphone 1

re: imessage. of course it only works with ios devices, but if your contact only has SMS it won't go out. Of course that would require a cellular data connection.

If you want to be able to message people on sms, but only have a DATA connection then download something like textfree and set that up before you leave. It is a free app and uses the data connection to send SMS messages. Works great to keep up with people who are on SMS and not imessage.
Old May 26, 2012, 11:02 am
Mul

You can always take out the sim card from the phone.
I've used airplane mode on + wifi on when abroad, it works fine. Use Whatsapp for free IM if your friends do not have iOS5
Old May 28, 2012, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by mdolton
Location should be quite accurate as long as you have WiFi on (even if not connected to a network), as the iPhone uses wifi to triangulate position in addition to GPS. You don't need to be on a cellular network for location services.

Turning data roaming off will avoid any international roaming charges, though calls and texts may still be able to come through. If you really want to be sure you can just pop out the SIM and it will work just like a wifi-only ipod touch.
Welcome to FT!
Old Apr 14, 2013, 10:08 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
So to bump this thread as goalie-parents are off to Paris and London next week...

They are taking my old unlocked Nokia and picking up local sim cards for voice calls and her iPad is wifi only so no issues there but for goalie-mom's iPhone (4s locked to AT&T), if she only want's to use it for wifi only (plus iMessages to me) and not incur any charges for voice and/or data, as noted above, I have instructed her to turn on airplane mode and then turn wifi back on and that's it, right?
Old Apr 14, 2013, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goalie
I have instructed her to turn on airplane mode and then turn wifi back on and that's it, right?
yep, that's all you need.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 1:50 pm

Will iPhones behave like iPod Touch (wifi and apps still work) if you remove the SIM card? If so, it could be another way to ensure that you won't incur any carrier charges.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 2:00 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Originally Posted by goalie
I have instructed her to turn on airplane mode and then turn wifi back on and that's it, right?
yep, that's all you need.
Thank you ^^ and now to give a soon to be happy goalie-mom the good news

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.