Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel router for iPad?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2012, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by docbert
I think you'll go a long way to find a hotel that has free wired internet, but charges for Wifi. It's either both free, or neither free. Travel routers definitely have their place, but this isn't it...
They exist. The other advantage is security. Instead of being on the hotel's wifi network, you're on a wired network to which only you have WiFi access. True, someone could still intercept data on the wired network, but it's less likely. Probably more of a concern overseas.

+1 to airport express.
Old May 23, 2012, 8:26 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by drewguy
The other advantage is security. Instead of being on the hotel's wifi network, you're on a wired network to which only you have WiFi access.
+1

I always go for a wired connection over wireless. And it's definitely better to use your own wifi where you can set up WPA-PSK2 encryption as opposed to something simple that the hotel uses (if any).
Old May 24, 2012, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by CatJo
As others have said, there are several threads on various options for this; an excellent choice is the Asus WL-330N3G, it's very versatile as a travel router. I've had great results with it.
I have this one as well and love it.

It was easy to set up, and in a hotel with only wired access, worked flawlessly for all our devices - a laptop, an iPad, and 2 iPod Touches, though it did get a bit slow when a few of them were going We only got 1 daily charge, and the hotel has now gone to free internet access for all, though it is still wired in some locations.

Someone asked about the login when using wired only. We still had to log in every 24 hours, and the hotel splash screen popped up on whichever device was being used.
Old May 24, 2012, 9:56 pm

It is harder to a man in the middle attack, but wouldn't Firesheep still work?
Old May 25, 2012, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, UA 1K 2MM, CZ Gld, VS Gld, SPG Lifetime Plt, IC PltAm, Hilton Dmd, Shangrila Diamond
Originally Posted by aster
Does anyone use the small TP-Link one:

http://www.tp-link.sg/products/detai...odel=TL-WR702N
Yes, I own one and have used it occasionally. I prefer the small Fujitsu one as it is smaller and easier to change between modes.
Old May 25, 2012, 7:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
I think Cradlepoint is the best! I've used Cradlepoint products for 5 years now.

http://www.cradlepoint.com/products/...ortable-router
Old May 26, 2012, 3:55 pm

Programs: none; pre-COVID: AA Plat, UA Gold
I have a CNet CQR 980 router. It is very small (it's about the size of a deck of cards) and cheap (it sells for $21 on Amazon).
Old May 26, 2012, 10:09 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by ghfatw
Yes, I own one and have used it occasionally. I prefer the small Fujitsu one as it is smaller and easier to change between modes.
Is the Fujitsu one still sold or is it an old model that will be hard to find?
Old May 30, 2012, 7:59 pm
neu

Programs: IC ambassador, KF Elite Gold
Originally Posted by Tizzette
I'd like to know which travel router would work well in Europe to allow internet access to multiple devices where the hotel sells a paid wireless code that only allows one device at a time. I carry an Ipad and a laptop.

If your laptop has an ethernet port you can just turn on internet sharing over wifi (on a mac that is). I normally do this. Although recently I've been carrying around an old airport express preconfigured for bridge mode, saves me a ton of configuration hassle (plus I switched to a macbook air)
Old Jun 7, 2012, 12:15 pm

Do any of the travel routers support connecting to an external antenna?
Old Jun 7, 2012, 8:10 pm

Anybody have luck with a Zuni? I took one to Portugal to a hotel with paid wifi for one device, connected it to my laptop, but it did not let me get online with the Ipad at the same time. The paid wifi only let one device on at a time.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Do any of the travel routers support connecting to an external antenna?
I came across the Dovado Tiny which has an antenna. It is primarily supports USB modems but also has an ethernet port.
http://www.dovado.com/index.php?opti...d=78&Itemid=22
It was being offered for sale at telenor.se and I'm not if it has gotten FCC approved http://movingwifi.com/dovado-tiny
Old Jun 14, 2012, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Tizzette
Anybody have luck with a Zuni? I took one to Portugal to a hotel with paid wifi for one device, connected it to my laptop, but it did not let me get online with the Ipad at the same time. The paid wifi only let one device on at a time.
I was disappointed in Zuni too, but for a different reason, I thought that, if a network was set-up once between, for example, a laptop and Ipad using the Zuni, it would allow me to go to a new wifi signal, pick up that signal on the router and relay it to the Ipad. Turns out each time a new signal is introduced, the router has to be reconfigured and it takes a hardwire connection to do that. No good if I am travelling without a Macbook or PC.

Does the Apple App mentioned above help with that or is it only usable with the Airport Express? i love our Airport Express at home but it is just too big to travel with for me (and did I read that on the next generation Airport device will be even bigger?).
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
i love our Airport Express at home but it is just too big to travel with for me (and did I read that on the next generation Airport device will be even bigger?).
the new one is bigger and has a power cord. no more built-in plug. it's basically a small desktop router, not a travel router.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
I was disappointed in Zuni too, but for a different reason, I thought that, if a network was set-up once between, for example, a laptop and Ipad using the Zuni, it would allow me to go to a new wifi signal, pick up that signal on the router and relay it to the Ipad. Turns out each time a new signal is introduced, the router has to be reconfigured and it takes a hardwire connection to do that. No good if I am travelling without a Macbook or PC.

Does the Apple App mentioned above help with that or is it only usable with the Airport Express? i love our Airport Express at home but it is just too big to travel with for me (and did I read that on the next generation Airport device will be even bigger?).
Once you had the Zuni and the laptop on ethernet, were you actually able to wifi off it to another computer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.