FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Use of Data Plan or WiFi (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1347688-use-data-plan-wifi.html)

highflier1979 May 18, 2012 1:39 pm

Use of Data Plan or WiFi

I have an iPhone. When the data plan is on and WiFi is connected, does the iPhone "draw" from one over the other?

In other words -- when I am at home (or hotel or Starbucks), should I turn off the data phone and only use WiFi to keep down my data charges?

pseudoswede May 18, 2012 1:42 pm

In the Android world, wi-fi, when available and connectable, always trumps the data connection. I can't imagine it being different in the iOS world.

daumueller May 18, 2012 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by pseudoswede (Post 18601003)
In the Android world, wi-fi, when available and connectable, always trumps the data connection. I can't imagine it being different in the iOS world.

Correct

gfunkdave May 18, 2012 1:56 pm

What the others say is correct.

If you really want to be sure, go to www.ipchicken.com in Safari. If you're connected over wifi, it will show that you're connecting from the ISP connected to that wifi network. If you're connecting over 3G, you'll see your service provider's domain.

ksandness May 18, 2012 1:57 pm

To make sure, you can get a free app called "Wi-Fi Finder," which will tell you if there are any wi-fi connections available in the area and whether they are open or locked.

cordelli May 18, 2012 2:40 pm

From Apple:

When you use an iOS app or feature that uses the Internet, your iPhone, iPad, or iPod attempts to connect to the Internet as follows:
  • Your device connects to your current Wi-Fi network if available.
  • If not available, your device attempts to connect to any nearby Wi-Fi networks you have previously used.
  • If there are no previous Wi-Fi networks in range, a list of available Wi-Fi networks appears. You can tap to join a Wi-Fi network, and if necessary enter the password to join it. Note: Wi-Fi networks that require a password are indicated by a padlock icon next to them.
  • If no Wi-Fi networks are available or if you choose not to join one, iPhone and iPad (cellular models) connect using an available cellular data network.

acunningham May 21, 2012 2:59 am

Originally Posted by pseudoswede (Post 18601003)
In the Android world, wi-fi, when available and connectable, always trumps the data connection.

Though it is interesting to note that the Facebook app for Android sometimes seems to connect to the 3G network briefly when launched even if Wifi is in use. I'm not sure why - maybe to assist GPS in getting the location?

Music4u May 21, 2012 3:42 am

Please remember that using public WiFi is dangerous. Public Networks are always
un-secure and you are always at risk of having your information stolen.

acunningham May 21, 2012 3:50 am

Originally Posted by Music4u (Post 18613419)
Please remember that using public WiFi is dangerous. Public Networks are always un-secure and you are always at risk of having your information stolen.

Simple cure for this: either use encrypted application level protocols such as HTTPS and IMAPS for all sensitive information, or use a VPN.