Wiki Posts
Search

Firefox 6 is Now the Current Version!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2011, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Firefox 6 is Now the Current Version!

Is it just me, or is Mozilla running through the upgrades of FF at a very rapid pace?

For some reason, my existing FF version would not connect to the internet even though neither Chrome or AOL (direct) had any trouble. I do not know what happened since I had used FF late last nite without issues. Tried changing the homepage, no dice. So I simply deleted FF and proceeded to download it again... FF version 6.0.

I have no idea what has changed as I have not explored as yet.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA, CI, NH, JL, BA, SPG, Ritz, Amex Plat
There is actually a version 7 out.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They announced a few months ago that they were moving to a faster release schedule.

It's annoying because they go up a major version number every couple months with no real improvements in functionality. I keep getting nags to upgrade, and when I do, it breaks at least one or two of my add-ons.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
okay what is the current stable version out there as my system keeps prompting to upgrade to two separate versions on 5.x.x the other a 6.x.4? I have to much going on to not have a stable version and going back with FF is not easy unless you have a older installer.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
They announced a few months ago that they were moving to a faster release schedule.

It's annoying because they go up a major version number every couple months with no real improvements in functionality. I keep getting nags to upgrade, and when I do, it breaks at least one or two of my add-ons.
Thats my major issue is i have a alot of add-ons that broke with the last update to 4 and the developers havent been able to fix them because mozilla is behind on getting there SDKs updated and informing developers of changes.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Scubatooth
Thats my major issue is i have a alot of add-ons that broke with the last update to 4 and the developers havent been able to fix them because mozilla is behind on getting there SDKs updated and informing developers of changes.
If it keeps up, I'll be moving to Chrome.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
If it keeps up, I'll be moving to Chrome.
I already have it up and running on mine, but then again I have IE, Opera, FF, Chrome and a couple others loaded so i can do website content / performance testing. I didn't like it at first but the more I use it the more I like it.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Chrome has been through 13 major releases in its 3 years, so FF is just moving to a schedule/numbering convention that Chrome has been following. 5 and 6 would have been 4.1 and 4.2 in the past - they are relatively minor.

FF4 was the last big release and most of my add-ons worked fine and were "officially" support either at release or within a few days.

There is a FF 7 "out", but it's a beta version. Heck, there's FF8 "out" in the nightly channel and FF9 features (tablet UI) have been announced. There is also a version 14 and 15 of Chrome "out" if that counts.

"current stable version" - I'd go to Help/About/Check for Updates and let FF tell you.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
I'm running on version 6 right now and I'm going to stay on in until a major upgrade comes out.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I think the catch up numbering just to match Google is just lame. I always upgrade, but it sure is a headache for many users.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 9:45 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I upgraded to 6, saw all of my add-ons weren't working, and downgraded immediately back to 5.

No add-ons, no dice!
Old Aug 21, 2011, 11:17 pm

Programs: Hotels.com, Omni, Jetblue, SouthWest, Frontier
I've been a user of Firefox since 1.5, and it has turned into complete crap for me now.

This idiocy where they dropped the bridge version numbers (X.x.x) in order to mimic Chrome just for starters, plus their tendency to constantly move things around on the interface just when I'm getting used to where they moved it LAST time (one example, moving the "bookmark this page" down one slot and replacing the top slot with "show all bookmarks") Rapid updates that break half my plugins, and now, nearly every time I use it Firefox it inexplicitly sucks up 2 GBS of memory within 5 minutes of use.

Really? REALLY? After using GOOGLE READER?

I finally got fed up and started using Chrome and I have to say, I'm wondering why I haven't done this sooner. The new interface does taking some getting used to (AGAIN), but crossing fingers that they don't change it anytime soon and I can finally start enjoying my web browser again. I'm also using Safari from now on with my MacBook.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 11:25 pm

Location: Living near OKC, but my home and heart lie near MDT
Programs: UA
I'm not having problems with FF6 so far, though I am also a bit confused as to why Mozilla feels the need to mimic Chrome's version scheme as opposed to more traditional version numbering.

I actually read something on Wired Friday (on Webmonkey) that they were floating an idea that they wanted to do away with publicly visible version numbering, just showing in (Firefox->About..., for instance) that FF had checked for updates X min/hr ago and that either they are running the most current version or that they can upgrade to the most current version.

Then again, I still haven't upgraded to IE9 because I make it a point to never do anything seriously on the web with IE, so YMMV.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 11:28 pm

Programs: Hotels.com, Omni, Jetblue, SouthWest, Frontier
I read it was to counter people's supposed assumption that their browser is more archaic than Chrome simply because of the version number. Chrome is at version 13, so people assume that Firefox by virtue of only being at version 5/6/7 (wherever the ^$&% it is now) is thus more dated and more obsolete.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 5:08 am

I'm using FF as my backup browser these days. FF6 starts up and shuts down a lot faster than the last couple of versions of FF which took forever to start and exit.

chrome simply updates itself all the time. The only time you need to get involved is if it needs to restart. It's odd when you notice that something is working differently or no longer working. (ie, the stupid chrome pdf plug-in in-frame problem)

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Aug 22, 2011 at 5:31 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.