Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

How to check voice mail on my iPhone4s (AT&T) when overseas without roaming charges?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to check voice mail on my iPhone4s (AT&T) when overseas without roaming charges?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2014, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by pinks
I have an iphoneV and AT&T. Iand am traveling to Mexico for 5 days in the near future. I bought the lowest-end data plan ($30/100mb) but not voice service.

Question 1: Will I be charged for incoming text messages?

Question 2: Is there anyway to block incoming phone calls to avoid being charged without having to leave my phone in airplane mode all the time? Ideally, I'd like to be able to check e-mail without risking someone calling and getting charged.

If someone leaves a visual voicemail and I check it, does that just burn data, or does that count as an outbound phone call?

I don't mind having some incidental charges, but would like to avoid some of the nasty surprises that people noted on this thread (i.e. the $20 voicemail message).
On your phone use this GSM forwarding code:

**21*[telephone number]#<send>

*21#<send> also works to forward all calls

Number can be any number such as your voicemail center number. When someone calls your number your phone will not ring and calls will be sent to the number you specify. If you enable this before you go to a foreign country you will not be charged.

This code is for GSM so it will work with AT&T or T-Mobile. Probably will not work with CDMA carriers such as Verizon or Sprint.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.