Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

What is your top "must-have" travel gadget?

What is your top "must-have" travel gadget?

Old Feb 5, 2012, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by nmenaker
once you get SIRI and voice rec on the ipad 3, this will change dramatically.
But will that combo work on a flight with no wifi/phone connection, and do you really want someone sitting next to you yakking into their iPad when you're trying to concentrate on something else?
Old Feb 5, 2012, 9:34 am

Bose headphones!

Originally Posted by FrequentTravelr
Hi all, I'm looking for ideas for a present. What is your top "must-have" travel gadget?

Thx!
Old Feb 5, 2012, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
flight only?

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
But will that combo work on a flight with no wifi/phone connection, and do you really want someone sitting next to you yakking into their iPad when you're trying to concentrate on something else?
I don't think the above requirement for travel gadget was "in flight only"..for those who commented that they need a physical keyboard to be efficient when travelling, the option to be able to use a headset and siri for the majority of easy text input could help them overcome the thinking that an ipad would not be suitable to writing while travelling.

Personally, I take the apple BT keyboard for the ipad/iphone as it is very small and light and is great when I just want to use the ipad for email/response/creating/doc editing, etc.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Well I just flew to MAD via UA/CO and they show a video with Smisek talking about satellite Internet on their planes. So if you're willing to pay for it, looks like you'll have Internet on flights, including over water.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by nmenaker
I don't think the above requirement for travel gadget was "in flight only"..for those who commented that they need a physical keyboard to be efficient when travelling, the option to be able to use a headset and siri for the majority of easy text input could help them overcome the thinking that an ipad would not be suitable to writing while travelling.

Personally, I take the apple BT keyboard for the ipad/iphone as it is very small and light and is great when I just want to use the ipad for email/response/creating/doc editing, etc.
Granted, I just find I do a lot of typing when I'm not sleeping on a plane and therefore I would still want a physical keyboard like the apple BT. Also not all of my destinations have wifi, or even the internet in one case.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FrequentTravelr
Hi all, I'm looking for ideas for a present. What is your top "must-have" travel gadget?

Thx!
Welcome to FT

Personally I don't travel anywhere without my Sony Worldband Radio but then I like listening to the Saturday Sportsworld on the shortwave BBC World Service which covers the UK football (soccer) matches. It's a Sony ICF-SW7600GR

but it's not the lightest one they did. A real travel model that I don't think is made anymore is the ICF-SW100 which does the same job just massively smaller. I can't find a copyright free image of that though, there is a youtube video here showing how small it is and how well it works.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Feb 5, 2012 at 7:26 pm
Old Feb 5, 2012, 9:29 pm

1. My iphone- I had a nightmare that I was in an airport without my iphone and didn't know where to go.

2. Got a kindle fire for Christmas- really looking forward to traveling with it.

3. My Sennheiser PX-100 headphones- wish I had bought another set when I bought these. I have hearing aids in both ears, so earbuds are out. These fold up well, are comfortable and I think the sound is great.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 2P, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, National EE, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
ATT and Verizon both used to have international smart phone plans. Both companies eliminated the plans a couple of years ago, but many of us have managed to stay grandfathered in. It has sometimes been a struggle, but I still have it.

ATT still offers an international blackberry plan to some corporate customers.
That's very cool - How much does the unlimited plan cost?
Old Feb 6, 2012, 11:41 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Adding my (short) list:

- Macbook Air 11" - small enough to use in coach if necessary
- Shure e3c noise isolating headphones
- iPhone 4 with international data (and hotspot functionality) - this is a lifesaver
- Priority Pass lounge card. Not a gadget, but a great gift.

Everything else is gravy. Some of the gravy:

- Energizer extended battery for the Macbook Air - I get 10+ hours of battery this way, easily coast to coast uptime working or watching movies.

- Plug adapters for UK, Europe - covers most lounges worldwide

- Kindle touch - for reading in the hotel at night before falling asleep

- Cheap $3 ten-foot extension cord - because those hotel outlets are never where I want them, I like to charge my phone next to the bed.

- Magazine subscription to The Week - I can always grab that week's issue before I go and read half during takeoff, other half during landing and feel somewhat informed of current events
Old Feb 7, 2012, 1:09 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by DMSFCA
Adding my (short) list:

- iPhone 4 with international data (and hotspot functionality) - this is a lifesaver
Through AT&T or are you talking about local SIMs in other countries?
Old Feb 7, 2012, 4:38 am
Suspended

Mine
11.6" screen 4GB/500GB Netbook
Unlocked quad bad GSM and AWS/UMT phone
If you add a vibra+or, this collection is guaranteed to meet everyone;s needs.
For longer trips, I also carry my CPAP and for shorter, I drop the netbook off the list.

Last edited by Yaatri; Feb 24, 2012 at 9:04 am
Old Feb 7, 2012, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA*S, TK*G, BA G
1. Sony Z12 laptop
2. iPad
3. Bose noice-cancelling headphones

Total weight: six pounds

I hemmed and hawed for almost three years about getting one of those Sony Z-series laptops. It was, by far, the most I ever spent for a laptop but with its small form factor, Full-HD screen, SSD drives and computing power, it's really hard to beat. Best investment I have ever made.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 4:26 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
Anywhere I go:
--iPad 2 w/ Kindle app, music, videos, iBooks, TripIt.
--Etymotic HF2 Headset (high attenuation about as good as active cancellation) for the plane.
--AKG Q460 headphones for the hotel.
--Asus WL-530g Mini Router flashed with DD-WRT, OpenVPN (StrngVPN subscription).
--Panasonic LX5 camera.

Depending on where I'm going, I also take the Sony ICF-SW7600GR mentioned above, and a Princeton Tec headlamp.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 5:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
I do not think anyone mentioned an ear-popper (get it from London Drugs in Canada, it's prescription only in the US) and a travel washlet. These two, a Bose headphone, an eReader are absolute musts for me.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chelmkamp
Anywhere I go:
--iPad 2 w/ Kindle app, music, videos, iBooks, TripIt.
--Etymotic HF2 Headset (high attenuation about as good as active cancellation) for the plane.
--AKG Q460 headphones for the hotel.
--Asus WL-530g Mini Router flashed with DD-WRT, OpenVPN (StrngVPN subscription).
--Panasonic LX5 camera.

Depending on where I'm going, I also take the Sony ICF-SW7600GR mentioned above, and a Princeton Tec headlamp.
Glad I'm not alone in that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.