Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

What is your top "must-have" travel gadget?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your top "must-have" travel gadget?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2012, 3:59 pm

Programs: Back to lowly AA Gold (1.8 MM); Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
++ On the iPad. Noise canceling headphones & the "Ambience" app. And tabasco for my Bloody Marys and I'm a happy camper.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
I suspect the list would be different for travel within the US vs. international travel. I find tablets to be fine for travel within the US but for international travel, I find my netbook more useful.

At hotels outside the US, the rooms may not always have wifi as some only have wired ethernet connections. So a tablet will not be able to be used for an internet connection nor a smartphone. Here is where a 2 lb. netbook comes to the rescue.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:06 pm
Formerly known as MLW20

Programs: AA LT GOLD, Delta, UA/Continental & many others
I could not live without my digital cameras on a trip. That said, a camera is a given not an extra item for almost anybody going on a trip.

I'd say my headlamp, iPad and noise cancelling headphones are top 3 on the list.

Last edited by MichaelWTravels; Feb 3, 2012 at 9:15 pm
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, USAir Gold
My iPhone. It may not be the best at everything but it can play music, movies, watch my slingbox, surf the web, wake me up, tell me where I am, and make calls all while fitting in my pocket.

But I always have the following with me every week when traveling:
-iPad
-Laptop
-Noise canceling headphones
-3' extension cord with 3 plugs on the end (that way there is always space for you at the one plug at your gate)
Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:29 pm

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
Love my MacBook Air 13.
Love my T-Mobile G2 (I prefer Android to iphone and really prefer having Swype and a physical keyboard).
I often take Shure earbuds rather than noise-cancelling headset due to size.
Universal power adapters.
No iron shirts.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by MichaelWTravels
I'd say my headlamp

Interesting travel item - I have a couple in case of power outages at home. Why do you carry on trips?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Bose headphones. Not having an iPad I can live with for a flight, screaming babies and yackety-yaks not so.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 8:05 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
iPhone plus charger and converter.

iPad is great but heavy.

I still use my iPhone headset. I have nice small nc headphones, but I usually leave them at home.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by dtsm
Interesting travel item - I have a couple in case of power outages at home. Why do you carry on trips?
I have a mini Maglite that I keep in my bag. Very handy!

Originally Posted by nmenaker
Originally Posted by cwilson830
Yeah, tablets are definitely not good for typing long documents. Anything over a couple of sentences will have you wishing for a real keyboard.
once you get SIRI and voice rec on the ipad 3, this will change dramatically.
When I'm composing text, I need to see it as I go along. I was like this even before email - put me down in front of a typewriter and I'm good to go. Dictation not so much. There's just something about keyboards with me.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 8:41 pm

Programs: *G, M+ Platinum
Originally Posted by lalala
iPad is great but heavy.
Huh?

Helluva lot lighter than a stack of books, a music player, game device, and email/web tool separately ...
Old Feb 3, 2012, 9:21 pm
Formerly known as MLW20

Programs: AA LT GOLD, Delta, UA/Continental & many others
Originally Posted by dtsm
Well initially we got them for a trip to Africa which included a few days or camping. Good thing we got them since another place we stayed only had power a few hours per day...

Since then, I always bring a headlamp. They don't take up much space and are good for a couple of reasons. We've had hostels/ hotels lose power in various countries and the headlamps were a huge help. I also like them for reading late at night. They are much better than leaving the room light on and keeping my wife up.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by cwilson830
Do you have some type of grandfathered plan? I wasn't aware AT&T currently has an unlimited option.
ATT and Verizon both used to have international smart phone plans. Both companies eliminated the plans a couple of years ago, but many of us have managed to stay grandfathered in. It has sometimes been a struggle, but I still have it.

ATT still offers an international blackberry plan to some corporate customers.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 8:04 am

Wink

Originally Posted by Time traveller
I suspect the list would be different for travel within the US vs. international travel. I find tablets to be fine for travel within the US but for international travel, I find my netbook more useful.

At hotels outside the US, the rooms may not always have wifi as some only have wired ethernet connections. So a tablet will not be able to be used for an internet connection nor a smartphone. Here is where a 2 lb. netbook comes to the rescue.
I carry a travel router. I usually do on international and don't on domestic, but do carry a mifi which moots it out.

Speaking of MiFis, I just saw two companies that have interesting MiFi plans that are a hybrid between PAYG and contract. Tru and Ting bill you for what you use with a small base fee.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 8:52 am

Single thing my android phone. Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc. Good pictures, does everything and came unlocked.

I have to travel with a laptop, so my Toshiba Portege R830. Not much more weight than a airbook with DVD (must have for work and some movies ).

Next Kindle then Canon S95 and of course my Sonicare Diamondclean toothbrush.

Oh yeah I carry red key chain light. Useful for having to negotiate a strange hotel room with out waking up to much. Also useful when looking in bags when you don't want to disturb others.

Last edited by BadTime; Feb 4, 2012 at 8:57 am Reason: add light
Old Feb 4, 2012, 5:55 pm

Programs: Delta/Marriott
In order of importance:

1. iPhone
2. Kindle / Kindle Fire
3. Lenovo ThinkPad X220
4. Verizon MiFi 4510 (4G LTE WiFi Hub)

I am thinking of plunking down the money for good noise canceling headphones.. so I imagine in another week or two this list might be ordered differently..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.