Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

What is your top "must-have" travel gadget?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your top "must-have" travel gadget?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2012, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 2P, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, National EE, Avis PC
iPad in the air, then iPhone on the ground.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
My jailbroken iPhone4 with ATT's unlimited international data. It functions as my travel router most of the time, my alarm clock, my gym buddy, my camera, my main VOIP tool, my restaurant finding tool, my navigation tool, my global "satellite radio," etc.
Do you have some type of grandfathered plan? I wasn't aware AT&T currently has an unlimited option.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: Independent
I see everyone putting down an iPad as their top choice, even in front of laptops. Curious as to why?

I have a 1st gen iPad, Android Transformer, and a laptop. I have tried a couple of times traveling with just teh iPad or the Transformer, but find in teh end I am happier with the laptop. I know there is a wieght issue (unless you take the docking station to the Transformer along), but with Ultrabooks coming out weven that is not a significant issue.

What makes an iPad better than a Android Tablet or full on laptop? I find I can do more with, and have more functionality even with the Transformer, and certainly more with the laptop, other than the longer boot times.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA PLAT
iphone
ipad
headphones..
beer
Old Feb 1, 2012, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Cloudship
I see everyone putting down an iPad as their top choice, even in front of laptops. Curious as to why?

I have a 1st gen iPad, Android Transformer, and a laptop. I have tried a couple of times traveling with just teh iPad or the Transformer, but find in teh end I am happier with the laptop. I know there is a wieght issue (unless you take the docking station to the Transformer along), but with Ultrabooks coming out weven that is not a significant issue.

What makes an iPad better than a Android Tablet or full on laptop? I find I can do more with, and have more functionality even with the Transformer, and certainly more with the laptop, other than the longer boot times.
iPads are preferable to laptops bc of their size, weight, battery life, boot time, and touchscreen.

iPads vs. Andriod tablets is just OS preference.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by nmenaker
If I had to pick one, it would be an iphone.
then, ipad
then, bose headphones
then, portable broadband router
then, small digital camera (canon s95)
then, laptop
then, DSLR camera
then, portable GPS unit
I'd take the Oly SZ30 and narrow the camera choices to one.....
Old Feb 1, 2012, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by cwilson830
iPads are preferable to laptops bc of their size, weight, battery life, boot time, and touchscreen.

iPads vs. Andriod tablets is just OS preference.
I've played around with tablets at stores, but I do a lot of typing and would really miss the keyboard of my Lenovo X120e if I were to replace it.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 7:40 pm

Programs: Independent
I just got the keyboard dock for my Transformer. Wow, the thing makes the tablet weight almost as much as a netbook! Have to see how it works out. I love the instant on feature of the tablet, but think the notebook does better at most other things. Cant wait till the 14in ultrabooks come out.

I wonder how many people actually mean a tablet when they say iPad. As someone who works in IT, and iPad is a very specific product, while a tablet could really be a apple or and android product. I really prefer the term slate, as tablet to me also refers to a laptop that has a rotatable screen with a pen input.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by N965VJ
I've played around with tablets at stores, but I do a lot of typing and would really miss the keyboard of my Lenovo X120e if I were to replace it.
Yeah, tablets are definitely not good for typing long documents. Anything over a couple of sentences will have you wishing for a real keyboard.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:04 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
If it's just one, it's iPod with in-ear phones. Can't imagine flying without cutting that cabin noise.

Of course cameras with geotagging device, Mifi, laptop follow.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:52 am

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
If I didn't have my outlet adapters, having anything electronic would soon be useless weight.

That said, my collection of iThingies is sufficient.

Cheers
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Most people have listed them:
Tablets (and a really good smartphone)
Good set of headphones: noise cancelling or noiseblocking
Good compact camera like Canon S90/95/100
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:11 am

Programs: UA, NW
iPhone, definitely.

I took it and the iPad to Cuba recently, the iPad as a handy way to carry books and TV shows, the iPhone so that I could phone from the U.S. airports on my way there and back. I knew that no U.S. cell phone carrier had a reciprocal deal with Cuba, so it was strictly with the idea of calling from the airport and saying, "I'm leaving" and "I'm back."

As luck would have it, my camera refused to recharge after one day in Cuba. I started taking pictures with the iPhone and discovered that they were of reasonably good quality.

Then our group ended up in several dimly lit restaurants, and the older members of the group had trouble reading the menus in the dark. I lent them my phone with its flashlight app.

I also had tunes to listen to on my way to and from Havana.

I have things set up so that my iPhone functions as a music player and my iPad as a TV show viewer, since I have large amounts of both audio and video, and there is still no device with enough memory to hold both. It is also easier to write e-mail, surf the Internet, and play games on the iPad.

But if I had to choose, I'd take the iPhone. It's small, and it has everything the iPad has, even the e-books, all except the TV shows. And in most countries it can make phone calls.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
SIRI

Originally Posted by cwilson830
Yeah, tablets are definitely not good for typing long documents. Anything over a couple of sentences will have you wishing for a real keyboard.

once you get SIRI and voice rec on the ipad 3, this will change dramatically.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:55 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
It seems like those keyboard cases are taking off, or at least a lot of vendors are rushing in to offer their own, since these things run upwards of $100.

Might be useful if you can use these in a clamshell configuration (some let you set the iPad up in portrait or landscape) and then detach the tablet part if you're using it in bed or sitting back on a couch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.