Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

How Hard is it to Cancel a Sirius/XM Contract?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Hard is it to Cancel a Sirius/XM Contract?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by RichMSN
Classics? Sometimes it's just a broadcast from the 80s or 90s. He has his whole catalog at his disposal and they play a lot of old stuff during off hours.
Wharvey referred to it as "Best of Stern." I assumed that mean something like "Classic," rather than "any old random crap." :shrug:
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
Wharvey referred to it as "Best of Stern." I assumed that mean something like "Classic," rather than "any old random crap." :shrug:
Well...back then his feud with Imus was entertaining. These days it's just a bit dated.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 7:35 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Originally Posted by BoB-O
Just canceled, I think. Serius emailed me a month ago, saying my account was about to expire and my credit card wouldn't go through. I intended to let the service expire. They emailed me again and called. I explained by phone I wanted to let the service expire and refused to give them a new credit card. The representative tried to get me to renew, but ultimately said he would note that. Next I received an email saying the service was renewed and my payment was late. Then I began receiving dunning calls-- six to date. This morning I spoke with the Serius rep, explained I had already canceled a month ago. She said my account showed I had called, but the call had been disconnected. I told her this was false. 3x. She then explained I owed Serius $13 for the month after service was renewed, and asked for a credit card number. I refused. Then she asked if I was refusing to pay my bill. I advised that I had no bill, and if she pursued this I would sue under the Credit Reporting Act. She then offered me a discount. I again said I would not do business with thieves. She then agreed to cancel. I understand the motivation to retain subscribers. I do not agree that dishonest tactics are the way to do it.

I just dealt with them this morning and for the last month, trying to cancel. With my first call, they attempted to talk me out of canceling, offered discounts, but ultimately agreed to cancel. This morning I found out the rep noted that the call was accidently terminated. Is this not a shady practice? This morning the rep said my contract had been automatically renewed, and even if I wanted to cancel now, I owed them $13 and asked for a credit card. I refused. Then she said I would have to go to the cancelation department. I asked why, since it had been 30 minutes, and I had canceled a month ago. She put me on hold, and I went through it all again. Finally she agreed to cancel and "waive" the $13. Your opinion that "It is not difficult" seems oddly biased. Are you a plant for Serius? If Serius allowed consumers to cancel on line, then you could say it is not difficult.
Apparently I'm another victim here, and since I researched online before biting, I thought I was doing it the right way. Bought a new car with a three-month free trial, which is to expire next week. Sirius has been sending me offers, and my online research made it clear that I did not want to share CC info with them, so I paid for a six-month term by check.

When Sirius received my check, they cancelled my 'free trial' (on April 1st) but did not start my paid subscription. I have spent most of the past two evenings with them via email (useless), online chat (even worse) and telephone (20-30 minutes wait time listening to commercials, and two of three reps hung up once I explained the situation). The one rep who stayed with me hung up when we couldn't get the 'refresh signal' to work.

The online rep explained that my check was applied to my account but that I would have to select a standard Sirius subscription in order for service to be activated. This is in contradiction to the offer I received. But I guess it does explain why the 'radio refresh' signals don't work--so far as Sirius is concerned, I'm not a subscriber. I asked the rep what the purpose of the order form was, and he said "so we can adjust the payment with your account." He then terminated the chat session.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 6:41 am

Programs: Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, UA Premier, Marriott Titanium Elite
This is how I handled cancelling my subscription. I sent them a check every year and did not even give them my credit card. I did this once a year for 3 years, while I had to bargain with them to get a good rate each year (which was annoying in itself).

When I finally got tired of bargaining for a good rate at renewal time again, I gave them such a ridiculous lowball number that I was wiling to pay, that the rep finally gave up and said he couldn't give me the rate I wanted, and I was finally able to cancel my subscription without renewing. I can't remember the actual numbers though.

Here's a tip for you too. Make sure you get an American rep if you want to bargain for your renewal rate. I can tell that the offshore reps read off a script and won't bargain.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 4:42 pm

I am so glad I didn't sign up when my trial expired. I have so many streaming services available to me through my phone, and with a BT connection to the car's audio system I never want for something to listen to.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 6:08 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
I find it very hard to want to cancel my subscription. I've been a subscriber since some time in 2002. At various times I have had some trials with new vehicles, but for the most part I have had some type of commitment. Over the past 3-4 years I have been letting my sub get near the end and then call in to "cancel". They will normally give me a rate that ends up costing me less than $100/year. That is worth it to me. I drive about 20,000 miles per year and especially when my wife or friends are in the car it's easy to find something that we all like. We also enjoy some of the sports programming and the PGA coverage comes in handy too.

I just purchased a new vehicle in late December and my trial ends at the end of this month. They have sent me a couple of reminders and both offered 6 months for $29.94. I'll likely sign up for that and call them late October. IIRC the last few renewals I have done have lasted 8-9 months and one may have been a full 12.

I really enjoy it, feel like I get good value from it and would find it really hard to cancel.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 8:10 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Apologies for rambling...

Originally Posted by birdiedouble
I find it very hard to want to cancel my subscription. I've been a subscriber since some time in 2002. At various times I have had some trials with new vehicles, but for the most part I have had some type of commitment. Over the past 3-4 years I have been letting my sub get near the end and then call in to "cancel". They will normally give me a rate that ends up costing me less than $100/year. That is worth it to me. I drive about 20,000 miles per year and especially when my wife or friends are in the car it's easy to find something that we all like. We also enjoy some of the sports programming and the PGA coverage comes in handy too.

I just purchased a new vehicle in late December and my trial ends at the end of this month. They have sent me a couple of reminders and both offered 6 months for $29.94. I'll likely sign up for that and call them late October. IIRC the last few renewals I have done have lasted 8-9 months and one may have been a full 12.

I really enjoy it, feel like I get good value from it and would find it really hard to cancel.
Now see, you drive 20K miles per year so you definitely get your money's worth. The car in question for me is my third car--a fun car only--and I drive it about 1K miles per year...so the calculus is decidedly different.

Like Mr Dodge just above, I have other alternatives (e.g. Pandora) for my 'main' car (and even that I drive only about 2K per year), though as birdie states above Satellite is incredibly convenient to use and flexible when you have pax on board. The Bluetooth on the 'fun' car in question doesn't support music/data, just phone.

MtlTourist, thanks for your advice. I don't know how to get an American rep though, except trial and error and since the wait time seems to be 25-35 minutes each time that just isn't practical. But I've read others saying what you do--if you want anything serious accomplished, you have to find the right rep.

When I tried the online chat again last night, it became clear to me that they are definitely trying to get your CC number. I had to go back and forth with this guy for awhile before he finally and grudgingly agreed to give me the deal I had paid for, and clearly there was no other way to get it. Still he wanted to tack on a billing charge (also not part of the original offer) and asked for a CC for just that $2.00. I refused, so he agreed to waive it for the first term of five months. Later when I looked at my account, the charge was still there. And my service remains off even though I am (ostensibly) still on my free trial.

Grrr, I sold a car with only 7K miles on it and it had lifetime Sirius/XM on it. Grrr.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
They just eclipsed 30 million subscribers according to Howard.

I guess we count 3 times -- we have 3 cars with Sirius/XM.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 9:26 pm

Programs: Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, UA Premier, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by birdiedouble

I liked doing yearly subscriptions. So I tried to double the $29.94 for 6 months and ask for 1 year for $60. Nope, they wouldn't do it! I got sick of it and got sick of having to haggle pricing with them during every renewal. I'm glad I never gave them my credit card and only paid by check!
Old Apr 13, 2016, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA,AA, WN
Originally Posted by Dunbar
I don't think it's very hard to cancel but they will send you to the retention department. I would not use a virtual credit card that can be canceled because I've heard of Sirius XM sending people to collections who stopped paying but didn't bother to cancel the service.
This happened to me, I bought a 1 year membership, and paid for it with a check. They renewed the membership and sent me a bill. I didn't pay it and was turned over to collections. After numerous calls to XM the answer was always the same. We renew subscriptions automatically just like your utility services, it is clearly spelled out on our web site. Finally gave up and paid for the portion of the years contract and collection fees. Consumer beware.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA,AA, WN
Originally Posted by Pete838
I've called to cancel every year at renewal time and they give me a really sweet deal. Otherwise I'd switch it to talk only. I'm not much of a music fan, but I love the comedy channels and political talk hosts I can't get anywhere else.

Regarding canceling, did you 'sign' a contract?
They believe if you sign up you have read the T and C on their web site then hold you to them. No signature required, and they will refer you to collections.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I called to cancel. After the CSR started offering their standard "discounted" rates, I told her that I'm only interested in the 6 months for $25 deal or else I'm not interested. The whole call took about five minutes. I also declined for them to store my credit card information.

I moved my calendar entry on my phone 5 months and 28 days in the future to cancel again.

FWIW, my plan doesn't include Stern or NFL.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I called to cancel. After the CSR started offering their standard "discounted" rates, I told her that I'm only interested in the 6 months for $25 deal or else I'm not interested. The whole call took about five minutes. I also declined for them to store my credit card information.

I moved my calendar entry on my phone 5 months and 28 days in the future to cancel again.

FWIW, my plan doesn't include Stern or NFL.
I do this too, every 6 months! I wish they'd just offer an option to renew at that rate, and save my time and their labor costs.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 3:42 am

I paid by check. When I decided to drop, I wrote CANCEL on every renewal/reminder invoice and returned them without payment.

Based on web reports, I snapped a pic of every invoice, inscribed with CANCEL. They still sent me to Collections ... Who informed me that my intentions were unclear. This ridiculous exchange continued until I cc'd them on a snail mail to the FCC, advocating that SXM needs to be more tightly regulated. I never heard from SXM/Collections again.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Not dealing with the renewal and going to collections is a bad move. It hits your credit report.

It does not matter if you are right and they are wrong.

Repeat. It does not matter. Make sure you cancel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.