Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Sign in using an external account

Old Nov 21, 11, 10:41 am   #1
Moderator: Travel Technology & Travel Photography

Cell Phone Bargaining: Before or After Xmas?

I'll be in the market for a new phone coming up, and I've settled on an iPhone 4S from Verizon if I can get them to throw in a free or very cheap network extender. My apartment doesn't get good Verizon service, but I would like to go with them because their service elsewhere seems very good. Also, my boyfriend has Verizon and it would be nice to get the Extender for him to be able to use his phone as well.

Do people have any sense of if I'd have a better chance of success before Thanksgiving, between Thanksgiving and Christmas, or after Christmas?
gfunkdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 11, 5:20 pm   #2

Not sure it will be of help to you since they don't offer the Verizon iPhone4S, but Amazon Wireless is dropping a lot of their phones to a penny with new line of service. Then you could spend the money saved on a network extender if necessary.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/21/a...phones-to-a-p/
freecia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 11, 3:26 pm   #3

Programs: *Wood Platinum, AA Platium, HH Gold
I've never really been able to bargain with Verizon in my 20 years with them. They can give you free minutes (100 per month) for a year or something but nothing too serious (like a network extender).
slackinormackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 11, 3:57 pm   #4
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The 4s has a waiting list in many locations. There's no need for them to bargain anything for it, they can't handle the customers they have willing to pay whatever the going rate is.

I think the only time the rate will come down on it is when the new one is released whenever that is. I wouldn't count on any negotiating.
Old Nov 22, 11, 5:09 pm   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
The 4s has a waiting list in many locations. There's no need for them to bargain anything for it, they can't handle the customers they have willing to pay whatever the going rate is.

I think the only time the rate will come down on it is when the new one is released whenever that is. I wouldn't count on any negotiating.
Good point - I think you might be right.
Old Nov 22, 11, 5:53 pm   #6

Programs: CO/UA silver
I aM shopping too, but doubt we will be able to swing the newest iPhone this year. Told Mr. P 1 that if we didn't get our bricks replaced soon someone was going to get it chucked at his noggin.
Tomorrow he is combing the ads for phone deals.
Princess1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 11, 8:39 pm   #7

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6 & CX, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor
VZW corporate stores are not known to negotiate, at least not generously in bundling a network extender - they might offer an accessories package, maybe, (which has very, very high profit margin) at 25% to 50% off - especiallly with newly released & hot 4G high-end models, unless it's EOL or soon to be .... Indirect & retail stores like Best Buy, Cosco might have a package bundled with accessories in very limited quantity - again, not with an extender - I have no desire to lined up in front of the store for the midnight or 6 am opening rush or risk "sorry, sold out/gone & no rainchecks"

Check eBay & CL's for the network extender, prices look reasonable if you need it.

iPhone 4 and/or 4S are not part of what one should expect for bargin specials, AFAIK from what I've seen. Indirect or resellers (authorized agent stores) need to pay for their inventory - don't think they are offering iPhones - so it's not going to be free or almost free.

Amazon deals are pretty good, even for upgrading lines - (3G) HTC Incredible 2 for $29.99 and (4G) Samsung Stratospere for $39.99 with 24 month contract extension, mandatory data for as low as $20 for 300MB (very light use only) - vs. what corporate/onlines will charge. The savings will pay for the extender itself. The only catch is that you will incur a $250 "charge" if you change, downgrade or disconnect the device + inclusive features enrolled at the signup/renewal time on top of any would-be ETF by the carrier. If you sign up for a new account, these 2 phones are as low as one penny each.

It looked like Amazon's offer will outbid Circuit City/TigerConnect or Wirefly's best deals or offers online, and unlikely even BB or Cosco can match it, let alone up and over them. BOGO from years ago will not be in the pipeline, I'm afraid - of course, you can wait & ride it out and see what might come around after the holidays - with the risk of missing the ride.
Letitride3c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 11, 7:02 am   #8

Thanks all...my main choice will come down to Verizon or Sprint.

My company dictates that I need to get either a Blackberry or iPhone - they let me use my Android phone, but IT won't support it. Ordinarily I don't care about such things, but I've decided I want to get an iPhone next anyway for a variety of reasons.

While I do have to buy the device, I can expense the service if I choose not to go with the company plan on AT&T. And given that EVERYONE I know in NYC complains loudly and frequently about AT&T, I'm not going to go with AT&T.

So it comes down to Verizon vs Sprint. Sprint actually seems to have service in my apartment but I don't have a feeling for how its service is elsewhere in the city and country, because only one or two friends have Sprint. Since this is a job involving potentially lots of travel, I can't have a phone that flat out doesn't work. Plus, Sprint's service plans are significantly cheaper. The downside to Sprint is that I'd like to help out my bf with his existing Verizon service.
Old Nov 24, 11, 9:27 am   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post
Since this is a job involving potentially lots of travel, I can't have a phone that flat out doesn't work. Plus, Sprint's service plans are significantly cheaper. The downside to Sprint is that I'd like to help out my bf with his existing Verizon service.
Sprint has fairly decent coverage at all major airports and most metropolitan areas. In places where Sprint coverage is spotty, Sprint phones roam on Verizon at no extra charge.
TWA884 is offline   Reply With Quote