Wiki Posts
Search

Call Fowarding for an International number

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2011, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: OMNI Platinum
Call Fowarding for an International number

I want to setup a local number in the US for anyone to call and have this number forward the calls to a UK mobile number..

I looked at skype but I’m not sure as to how it works.. Do I have to buy a skype online number + unlimited world calling for it work?
Old Aug 6, 2011, 1:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I do this in a roundabout way with my VOIP provider - I forward my Google Voice (and cell when I travel away) to my home VOIP number, then set that number up to call forward to my Canadian cell when I'm up there.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by ewrfox
I want to setup a local number in the US for anyone to call and have this number forward the calls to a UK mobile number..

I looked at skype but I’m not sure as to how it works.. Do I have to buy a skype online number + unlimited world calling for it work?
I use Kall8 and then forward my regular number to the Kall8 service which forwards to my other number.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 4:28 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Another happy Kall8 user.

It will cost you $2 a month (we transferred in a vanity number before they started charging extra for them, so we lucked out), plus the cost of the incoming call, plus the cost of the outgoing call.

For the UK, that's like 6 cents a minute if you get a local number, seven if you get a toll free for the incoming call, and another 38 cents a minute to call the mobile number in the UK

Skype would probably be less expensive, but I've had this number for years and years (way before cell phones were popular) and like the service.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
VoIP.ms (http://voip.ms)
They are primarily a VOIP/SIP provider, but you can do forwarding without SIP just by entering the details on their website.

$1/month for the number basically anywhere in the US, plus around 1 cent/minute for received calls - or ~$5/month for the number with unlimited incoming minutes.

Forwarding to a UK landline is 0.79 cents/minute (yes, that's less than 1 cent/minute).

Everything is charged in 6 second increments.

I've been using them for years, including with international forwarding at times, and have never had a single problem with them.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 6:06 pm

Programs: Non-Rev Lifetime

You'll need an online number and some Skype credit to forward [SkypeOut] calls.

Worked well with my Glasgow "SkypeIn" number.

There is also Skype to go if you want to get complicated.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 6:15 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
I'd suggest you do it back to front, find a VOIP provider or similar that places economical calls to UK mobiles then see if they can provide you with a US DID and call forwarding.

I say that because whilst most companies will be able to provide you the DID and the call forwarding to the UK, some (mine included) charge a fair whack for terminating on a mobile.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
I'd suggest you do it back to front, find a VOIP provider or similar that places economical calls to UK mobiles then see if they can provide you with a US DID and call forwarding.

I say that because whilst most companies will be able to provide you the DID and the call forwarding to the UK, some (mine included) charge a fair whack for terminating on a mobile.
I'm using the ekit sim card, it comes with a US number.. Anytime someone calls you, they charge you for it.. If I'm able to set up a US number to forward the calls to the UK number, I wont get charged.. The more I looked into it, I realized calling a mobile is expensive in the UK... Skype offers a monthly plan with 60 minutes for $12.49.. I can add $5.00 to pingo and get the same minutes.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by docbert
VoIP.ms (http://voip.ms)
They are primarily a VOIP/SIP provider, but you can do forwarding without SIP just by entering the details on their website.

$1/month for the number basically anywhere in the US, plus around 1 cent/minute for received calls - or ~$5/month for the number with unlimited incoming minutes.

Forwarding to a UK landline is 0.79 cents/minute (yes, that's less than 1 cent/minute).

Everything is charged in 6 second increments.

I've been using them for years, including with international forwarding at times, and have never had a single problem with them.
How does this work? If I get the $5 a month plan, will it still cost me to forward the call to the UK number?
Old Aug 6, 2011, 8:21 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Whatever you decide you need to add up all the possible charges

Some solutions may not have all of these

Monthly charge for the service
Per call charge (not everybody charges them, most probably don't)
Per minute charge for the incoming call to the US Number
Per minute for the forwarding to the UK Mobile number
Per minute incoming call should your sim charge for incoming

It's possible the ekit card works out to be the least expensive way depending on your solution.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cordelli
Whatever you decide you need to add up all the possible charges

Some solutions may not have all of these

Monthly charge for the service
Per call charge (not everybody charges them, most probably don't)
Per minute charge for the incoming call to the US Number
Per minute for the forwarding to the UK Mobile number
Per minute incoming call should your sim charge for incoming

It's possible the ekit card works out to be the least expensive way depending on your solution.
I think you may be right.. Since there is no unlimited forwarding to a UK mobile number, I don't think call forwarding is for me..
Old Aug 8, 2011, 7:40 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by weekilter
I use Kall8 and then forward my regular number to the Kall8 service which forwards to my other number.
I have found this to be the easiest way to get calls anywhere and I do mean anywhere I happen to be. $2,00 a month is so cheap to get calls from clients that can mean more money for your bottom line. I do use Skype for outbound calls. If you use it for business it is tax deductible.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 7:54 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
If you end up with a UK mobile phone service provider which has an attractive data plan, it may save a pretty penny when forwarding calls from one US number to another number which is not a mobile number yet which gets you a ring on your mobile device.

Another option not to spend too much money is to have your calls end up in voice mail in the US that sends an associated SMS/MMS alert or emails the voice mail message to overseas numbers. Then call people back.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by powerlifter
I have found this to be the easiest way to get calls anywhere and I do mean anywhere I happen to be. $2,00 a month is so cheap to get calls from clients that can mean more money for your bottom line. I do use Skype for outbound calls. If you use it for business it is tax deductible.

I looked at Kall8 but I don't know how it works. $2 gets me a toll free number, that part I get.. When you go to check out, it says you need to deposit $100. I think I need some sort of clarification on the pay per minute rate and monthly rate.. The monthly rate is just for the toll free number? And the per minute is the charge to forward the call?
Old Aug 8, 2011, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The monthly rate is just for the toll free number? And the per minute is the charge to forward the call?
No. Toll free numbers mean that the person receiving the call has to pay (rather than the person calling). That's you! With most providers, the rate is somewhere between 3 and 10 cents/minute.

That's in addition to any charges for forwarding the call to another number, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.