Wiki Posts
Search

GrooVe IP - Android App for Google Voice via 3G/4G & WiFi

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2011, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

GrooVe IP - Android App for Google Voice via 3G/4G & WiFi

It had to happen.

Hot on the heels of the OBi110/110 ATAs supporting Google Voice now the first Android App which supports Goggle Voice via XMPP and 3G/4G & WiFi.

The app is called GrooVe IP and it is in the Google Market and possibly elsewhere. The author is charging a modest fee but the application does seem to be getting active support. I have tried on both the Thunderbolt and G2.

I hope that Google don't start to block such efforts!
Old Jun 1, 2011, 11:19 pm

Programs: None anymore
I've thought about getting this app. HOWEVER providing my google log on info. to some one/app in the wake of recent droidream malware has stopped me dead in my tracks. I don't have any $ on my google voice accts. BUT others may, and supplying yet another SMS # to sign up for a $9.95 a month sms service isn't an idea i relish.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 7:56 am

I got the app; took awhile to download but finally came up.

One of it's requirements is that you first sign out from Gmail (and Google Voice I think) before it will run. I missed doing this on one of my computers which held me up.

The folks who built it seem very responsive with answers and new versions.

Making unlimited wifi calls back to US while international could make this the best $4 I ever spent.

Here is an ongoing thread at one of the Android forums (he said an iPhone version will be coming)

forum.androidcentral.com/optimus-v/79598-new-voip-option-gv-single-app-solution-groove-ip.html
Old Jun 3, 2011, 9:46 am

FAQ/guide

Here is a link to a guide someone wrote for this app...

http://forum.androidcentral.com/gene...groove-ip.html

Looks to be along the lines of Line2 (Toktumi) but without
the monthly fee.

Anyone tried it while international yet?
Old Jun 3, 2011, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flahusky
I've thought about getting this app. HOWEVER providing my google log on info. to some one/app in the wake of recent droidream malware has stopped me dead in my tracks. I don't have any $ on my google voice accts. BUT others may, and supplying yet another SMS # to sign up for a $9.95 a month sms service isn't an idea i relish.
I agree -- I won't test any Google powered apps that don't support oAuth for my credentials.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 6:48 pm

Programs: CO-Dirt,SPG-Nothing,Marriott-Gold, Hilton-Blue, Hyatt-Plat, HI-Plat
how does this work over 3g?
I believe I've read that it doesn't use your cell minutes, how does that happen?
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:12 pm
g11

Programs: SPG Gold, Sixt Gold
Originally Posted by windwalker
how does this work over 3g?
I believe I've read that it doesn't use your cell minutes, how does that happen?
It works using the internet data connection, either 3G or wifi. Same principal as VOIP.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by g11
It works using the internet data connection, either 3G or wifi. Same principal as VOIP.

I have it on my Android phone (Nexus One) works well.
Not perfect, but well.

Their tech support is outstanding.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 3:45 am

Very interesting app. Will look more into it. Will be very handy on overseas trips.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 4:59 pm

sound like republic wireless(the 19.99 plan) just bought a bunch of licenses for their service
Old Nov 16, 2011, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
what mean?

sound like republic wireless(the 19.99 plan) just bought a bunch of licenses for their service
what does that mean, RW bought this app/license and will now use this for their 3g/wifi/voip solution?
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by nmenaker
what does that mean, RW bought this app/license and will now use this for their 3g/wifi/voip solution?

pure speculation
But groove ip and RW offer almost the same type solution for at least the wireless calling part
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
pure speculation
But groove ip and RW offer almost the same type solution for at least the wireless calling part
Not really. RW is more like TMobile's UMA calling over WiFi
Old Nov 18, 2011, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Flahusky
HOWEVER providing my google log on info. to some one/app in the wake of recent droidream malware has stopped me dead in my tracks.
Google is less trustworthy than third parties. I actually make it a point to avoid Google apps whenever because they contain spyware. Google collects all kinds of data needlessly. Google has been capturing peoples unique IMEI numbers and adding it to their database (so if you want to create multiple accounts to keep your mountain of data split up and disassociated, Google's spyware gets around it). Third party apps like Groove IP only need to transmit the data required by google's API, which is less than the amount of data Google's own apps help themselves to.

The problem with Groove IP is it's as closed source as Google's apps. However, Google is mastering ways to turn personal data into profit for them. They even drove around grabbing peoples wifi traffic, and stored it in a database. At least we know that Groove IP is not on the same scale of data collection as google.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.