Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

International Usage of Netflix Streaming

Old Jul 26, 2010, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG P, DL vanilla

Is there anyway of circumventing Netflix's blockage of international IPs?

While I realize this is less than legal, watching movies on my computer while abroad is one of the primary reasons I got Netflix.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 6:13 am

Use a VPN such as hotspotvpn, witopia, purevpn, etc.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 8:49 am
aly

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Use a VPN such as hotspotvpn, witopia, purevpn, etc.
vpnod also works; didnt have much luck with witopia though
Old Jul 26, 2010, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I bet you could just forward the appropriate port(s) over an ssh connecton, for those of us with ssh hosts in the US.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG P, DL vanilla
vpnod worked PERFECTLY, thank you!
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:37 am
aly

Originally Posted by antitouchscreen
vpnod worked PERFECTLY, thank you!
great to hear...!!

Last edited by aly; Jul 27, 2010 at 4:18 am
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:38 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I use AceVPN with a DD-WRT router in L2TP mode to use a Roku with NetFlix in Canada.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:47 pm
aly

Originally Posted by 601
I use AceVPN with a DD-WRT router in L2TP mode to use a Roku with NetFlix in Canada.
this sounds interesting; so does that mean you do not need to do a sperate VPN login per computer; and that its done directly on the router?

how are your speeds with AceVPN pls?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
Whenever I've tried to learn about VPN, the articles that I found online are a bunch of technical mumbo-jumbo to me no matter how hard I tried to understand it, let alone implement it. So naturally I was intrigued when I saw this thread.

I signed up for a VPNOD account at vpnnod.com. I followed the super-easy instructions on how to set it up on my Mac. And in a matter of minutes I now have the VPN icon on my menu bar and let's me connect. I turn it on while surfing at home and it's working. Yay!

Having said all that, I have no idea what it does, why I need it and when do I use it, especially while traveling (aside from Netflix streaming while overseas).

Maybe somebody here will be kind enough to give me an idiot's guide to VPN.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 1:16 pm
aly

Originally Posted by bp888
Whenever I've tried to learn about VPN, the articles that I found online are a bunch of technical mumbo-jumbo to me no matter how hard I tried to understand it, let alone implement it. So naturally I was intrigued when I saw this thread.

I signed up for a VPNOD account at vpnnod.com. I followed the super-easy instructions on how to set it up on my Mac. And in a matter of minutes I now have the VPN icon on my menu bar and let's me connect. I turn it on while surfing at home and it's working. Yay!
Having said all that, I have no idea what it does, why I need it and when do I use it, especially while traveling (aside from Netflix streaming while overseas).

as far as i can tell this is a way to indicate your presence in a specific location;
for example in USA if u want to connect to geo based apps;

BUT businesses use it as well to connect to their company servers when out of the company zone; ie USA cie but u r in Europe;

this redirects data via another server so as to modify your real IP address; or location.

Last edited by aly; Jul 26, 2010 at 1:38 pm
Old Jul 26, 2010, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bp888

FromWikipedia:

A virtual private network (VPN) is a network that uses a public telecommunication infrastructure, such as the Internet, to provide remote offices or individual users with secure access to their organization's network. It aims to avoid an expensive system of owned or leased lines that can only be used by one organization. The goal of a VPN is to provide the organization with the same, secure capabilities, but at a much lower cost.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I bet you could just forward the appropriate port(s) over an ssh connecton, for those of us with ssh hosts in the US.
Streaming normally uses UDP, so forwarding it over SSH (which requires additional shenanigans in any case) would not work that well.

With UDP, if a chunk of data doesn't appear, the application just moves on with its life. You might hear a glitch in the audio or see some chunking on the screen.

However, SSH uses TCP, which presents data to the application in sequence. If something goes missing, then it waits... and waits... and waits. This will magnify a sub-second audio glitch into a 20-second dropout. If your connection is at all erratic, the delays will start to cascade and eventually the stream will stop entirely.

VPN is definitely the way to go. OpenVPN is easy to install if you have your own server, and works very well, with free client software available on every significant platform.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 8:44 pm

The VPN is sort of like the old expatriate standby, the mail forwarding service, which would work for Netflix physical DVDs.

You give Netflix an address in the US. As far as they know, that's where you get your mail. They mail a DVD there. Someone at that location puts it in another envelope and mails it overseas to you. When you're done, you mail it back to your forwarding service. They take it out of the international envelope and put the Netflix envelope in the US mail. Netflix has no way of knowing you're overseas.

Exactly the same thing happens with a VPN. The data from Netflix goes to a network address located in the US. That site forwards the data to your overseas address, and forwards data you send back.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 9:42 pm
aly

^i like your explanation, simple.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:05 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by aly
this sounds interesting; so does that mean you do not need to do a sperate VPN login per computer; and that its done directly on the router?

how are your speeds with AceVPN pls?
Yes, it is unbelievably easy - you just select the VPN as the WAN connection, enter the supplied server, username and password and all the traffic through the router goes through an american IP address.

The speeds actually vary greatly - but I have never had much difficulty with Netflix other than the odd buffering delay.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.