Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Unlocked MIFI Solution

Unlocked MIFI Solution

Old Apr 1, 2011, 7:06 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by wco81
I've heard some Mifis won't work while being charged?

Anyone encounter such limitations with the Mifis or the Cradlepoint product?
On my MiFi: not when charging from the wall wart charger. IIRC - and I haven't done this recently - it acts differently when connected to a USB jack on the computer.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 9:54 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by MAN Pax
Zoom works fine off AC or battery. Battery charges whilst on AC.
Is the Zoom a Mifi-like device or a 3G to Wifi device like the Cradlepoints which requires a separate 3G USB key?

Amazon US is only showing Zoom routers. Was expecting Mifis but didn't see any.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 9:58 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by wco81
What is the battery life like on those cradlepoints compared to the Mifis?

Has anyone tried the Huawei Mifis, as opposed to the Novotel ones?

They seem to be about half the price on eBay.
The Huaweis appear to be rated at about the same speed as the Novotels, at least on paper.

Presumably the Novotels would get support and warranty whereas the Huaweis off eBay probably would not, since they're not officially sold in the US?
Old Apr 16, 2011, 9:03 am

Problem: I use a T-Mobile modem here in the US. Unfortunately, I sit in an office that doesn't get the best signal from T-Mo using the modem.

What I'd like to do is switch out my TMobile SIM into one of these devices, place the device where there's better 'reception' and then connect to the device via Wi-Fi.

However, from what I'm reading, none of these devices support TMo's 1700 mhz (?) signal. So, at best, you get a lower (2G) speed from T-Mo. Not that I'm streaming online video or anything but to me that's useless.

Or, have I missed out on a device out there that would cover T-Mo's "faster" radio band. I'd love to here from someone if they've found one (2+ hours bouncing around Google only schooled me on my observations above).

I'd love to hear if someone has a device in mind....

-----
A Sub-Optimal Solution
-----
Buy one of the devices that allows me to plug my T-Mo USB modem into the back of the device and then hook into the device using Wi-Fi. I'm saying this is sub-optimal b/c I travel internationally and would like to use the same device abroad not with the T-Mo modem and SIM but rather with a local carrier. That'd require me to buy and carry an "unlocked" USB modem for use with local carrier's SIMs. I'd rather just have the Mi-Fi device which acts as the modem itself, plug in a local SIM and be sharing via Wi-Fi.

If everyone thinks the sub-optimal choice is the way, the truth, ... I await your humble word on a recommendation.

Champion!
Old Apr 16, 2011, 9:45 am
aly

all of these are wifi B/G, any that also have N capable WIFI...?

thx
Old Apr 16, 2011, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by aly

thx
For me, N is a luxury. I'm still looking for a device.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 2:13 pm

Programs: nobody
I would just use the 3g dongle plug in to a laptop and make your laptop as a wifi hotspot.

Total cost: $0.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by mobilebucky
I would just use the 3g dongle plug in to a laptop and make your laptop as a wifi hotspot.

Total cost: $0.
1) I'd love to hear how to do that with a Mac.

2) Doesn't really solve the problem entirely as it requires me to lug around the laptop rather than having the mifi or mifi type device only.

3) Not really $0 as the T-Mobile USB modem is SIM locked so I need to buy another SIM-unlocked USB modem for use with everyone else's SIMs.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 5:14 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by aly

thx
Why bother with N when you only have 2Mb "in"?
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:58 am

Programs: nobody
Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
1) I'd love to hear how to do that with a Mac.

2) Doesn't really solve the problem entirely as it requires me to lug around the laptop rather than having the mifi or mifi type device only.

3) Not really $0 as the T-Mobile USB modem is SIM locked so I need to buy another SIM-unlocked USB modem for use with everyone else's SIMs.
Sorry, I was only responding to OP question not yours.

In your case, you are pretty much stuck as you already know Tmobile use 1700/2100 BandIV frequency for their 3G/4G network which no one use.

You probably better off buying a seperate 3g usb dongle/mifi for intl travel and use a cradlepoint device to work with your Tmobile dongle.

Like you, I travel to Asia every other month and currently I use the Sprint overdrive in US and an unlock AT&T usb modem when travel abroad. Works pretty well.

BTW, here is the link on sharing WIFI signal on leopard. http://gigaom.com/apple/create-a-wif...on-in-leopard/
Old Apr 20, 2011, 8:38 am

Huawei e585

I have a Huawei e585. It is "3" branded buth Zibri unlocked it for me (via the Internet) for $5. I works quite alright as long as the cell site isn't too congested. The limit of 5 devices is quite a bother some times when people have ipods, ipads and laptops. It is very easy to reach that limit.

If you need a very portable solution I can recommend the Huawei MiFi routers, they can also work as a dongle with a micro usb cable. At home I use an Asus router which has a USB port which works with a 3g modem. That solution doesn't have the same limitation as the MiFi routers but it requires an electrical hookup.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by fredl
I have a Huawei e585. It is "3" branded buth Zibri unlocked it for me (via the Internet) for $5. I works quite alright as long as the cell site isn't too congested. The limit of 5 devices is quite a bother some times when people have ipods, ipads and laptops. It is very easy to reach that limit.

If you need a very portable solution I can recommend the Huawei MiFi routers, they can also work as a dongle with a micro usb cable. At home I use an Asus router which has a USB port which works with a 3g modem. That solution doesn't have the same limitation as the MiFi routers but it requires an electrical hookup.
Zibri info at
http://www.zibri.org/2010/07/huawei-...-download.html
Zibri uses PayPal - non-starter
Zibri requires Windows - I have a Mac
Zibri's instructions seem complicated - risky

According to the one (?!) review at Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/UNLOCKED-HUAWE...3312513&sr=8-1
the e585 only works on the slowest of slow T-Mo US networks (admittedly NOT the original thread question).
Old Apr 20, 2011, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA 1MM *G (recovered GS), SPG Nothing, Hilton Nothing, AA Nothing
Zoom We3G ($149 @ amazon).
Unlocked 3G. Using it with an iPod touch to make this post.

Just got it today but seems reasonably fast and has a nice set of features. Can accept a micro sd card and uses micro USB charger.

Small and light, perhaps a bit larger than my virgin mobile mifi.

Worked fine with my Blackberry's SIM (testing only - main use will be overseas with PAYG data sim cards).

Last edited by CarlTheWebmaster; Apr 20, 2011 at 7:48 pm Reason: Add link; Finish last sentence after hitting post on tiny iPod screen!
Old Apr 20, 2011, 7:54 pm

Wirelessly posted (RIM BlackBerry 8700c: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just got it today but seems reasonably fast and has a nice set of features. Can accept a micro sd card and uses micro USB charger.

Old Apr 20, 2011, 8:04 pm

Wirelessly posted (RIM BlackBerry 8700c: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.