Wiki Posts
Search

Remote desktop software

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2011, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
no mac

Originally Posted by deubster
Though I use LogMeIn free on a daily basis, as well as RDP over VPN, last week I visited a client who showed me something very cool. She had bought VNC Enterprise edition for her office, and it is dramatically faster than the free VNC version. Then she connected with the VNC app on her iPhone ($10 extra), and it was amazingly fast also. Very cool.
The only downside to the VNC solution, which I don't really understand why, is that they don't support the mac platform, client or server until one does pay up for the enterprise solution. Not sure why.

Logmein supports all platforms from their free client, and up.

disclaimer: I have owned LOGM in the past, be recently exited at 45, but will buy it again in the future.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Question about logmein..

I have issues getting to my personal email from work, so I thought this might be a good solution.

Is it?
Once installed on my home PC, I'm assuming I go to the logmein website to access it. Correct?
If so, as long as I can get to my personal stuff/email and any web browsing I might do is via the logmein website and not my work computer, hence there is no security issue with my work computer. Right?

Any gotchas?

Many thanks.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 9:03 am

Yes, that's the way it is. The tunnel is encrypted, so unless there is some serious packet sniffing going on, work or anywhere for that matter is not going to see the traffic.
Downsides to the FREE product, are you don't get audio or remote print support or direct filesharing support (drag from the browser session to your LOCAL desktop!) but that can always be purchased if they are indeed necessary.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 9:07 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by Mary2e
If so, as long as I can get to my personal stuff/email and any web browsing I might do is via the logmein website and not my work computer, hence there is no security issue with my work computer. Right?

Any gotchas?
Your work IT people may not see it that way. They may see logmein as a way to get around all their security standards (I was at one place that did) and won't be happy with you trying to get around it.

I'm not saying that they are correct, all you are doing is controlling the mouse and keyboard on the home machine, but there may be a perceived security risk, even if there is not a real one.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 9:26 am

Programs: AA Gold
logmein free

logmein free is great, i have been using it for years
Old Mar 8, 2011, 9:28 am

Thanks to both of you. I suspect there is serious packet sniffing going on However, I'm thinking/hoping is that this is more like citrix where all that passes back and forth (for the free version) are screenshots.

They have already told me to forward my personal email to my work address so it could go through their filters, and my only real issue is that sometimes I want/need to reply using that address, hence wanting to use logmein.

I guess I could try it and if the IT police come a-callin' I can just play dumb
Old Mar 8, 2011, 9:31 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
If you can get to the website you will probably be fine. We were blocked from accessing any of the remote access sites
Old Mar 8, 2011, 9:31 am

I checked and can get to the website. I'm going to install it at home tonight and will check to see what happens.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 10:16 am

financial and other industries

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Thanks to both of you. I suspect there is serious packet sniffing going on However, I'm thinking/hoping is that this is more like citrix where all that passes back and forth (for the free version) are screenshots.

Just a quick note. If you work in the financial and some other industries, this type of external access to communications is illegal. You would have been instructed a few years ago (or sooner during employee orientation) about accessing external communication platforms either IN work, or external during work. YOU can be liable in the case that you circumvent the solutions that IT puts in place to prohibit employees from being able to affect communication external that is not captured by federally required internal tracking solutions. So, be warned.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 10:43 am

No, I wasn't advised and I'm not in the financial services industry. I read our IT policy, and security is so strict due to virus and hacking attacks.

I do thank you for the heads up ^^
Old Mar 8, 2011, 9:20 pm

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
I use log me in on all my computers. Good luck if you think you are going to install it at work. You have to have it enabled on your pc at the office to connect and I doubt very much your IT people will not see this remote access and shut it down even if the ports are open to get it installed.
My firewall is monitered 24/7 and I am unable to use logmein ,pcanywhere,or remote access,actually I can not get to any site on my work pc that has not been approved by IT.... Some days I think I am going to take a hammer and smash that red box LOL
Old Mar 8, 2011, 10:10 pm

So I'm going to use logmein to support a customer of mine while she's on the road; the free version looks fine. However, I'm a little confused about the best instructions to give my customer. She will create an account, download the software, set a secret access code, etc. But it appears that she has to "invite" me to share her desktop? If she's running the client software and she gives me her secret access code, can I manage her machine without an invitation?
Old Mar 8, 2011, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by boberonicus
So I'm going to use logmein to support a customer of mine while she's on the road; the free version looks fine. However, I'm a little confused about the best instructions to give my customer. She will create an account, download the software, set a secret access code, etc. But it appears that she has to "invite" me to share her desktop? If she's running the client software and she gives me her secret access code, can I manage her machine without an invitation?
Teamviewer may work out better using the Teamviewer quick support app.

However note Teamviewer free is for non commercial use only. You mention you will be using it to support a "customer", which suggests it will be for commercial use.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by boberonicus
it really is much better if the machine is in YOUR universe of target-able machines.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 8:21 am

Update:

I installed the client on my PC at home last night. I tested it on my husband's MAC and it worked like a charm.

I just used it to access from my office, and again, it worked like a charm.

I don't have any real need or interest in using the more advanced features, such as file transfer, etc, so the free version, which just allows me to see my PC at home and use my email/internet access is perfectly fine. If I want to work on a personal file, well, I'm going to leave it on the home PC, not transfer it.

From the best I can tell, nothing is taking place on my work computer, except visually, and that's all I need.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.