Wiki Posts
Search

iPhone vs. Blackberry Torch vs. ??, especially browser

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2010, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
iPhone vs. Blackberry Torch vs. ??, especially browser

After a couple of decades of wanting a cell phone to be only a phone, I'm considering a smart phone. At this time, my primary uses for it would be:

* Checking e-mail without downloading it. I have several domain e-mail address and two personal ones, none of which are Web only. I want to be able to read them and answer and delete some, but downloading messages must be left for my computer. I don't have a company exchange (not sure this is the right term); would have to go to each one separately via the browser.

* Looking up info on the Web.

* GPS and maps.

* Travel apps.

Given that my biggest concern is browser speed and usability, would you recommend an iPhone or Blackberry Torch or something else? I like the fact that the BB has a slideout keyboard, but I'm sure I can get used to one on the touch screen.

I'm not locked into AT&T but not looking to change carriers either. (I've been several places where those of us with AT&T were the only ones who could get a signal.)
Old Dec 22, 2010, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
I will highly recommend a Droid. Go check them all out and see what you like the best.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 7:32 pm
wpj

Programs: AA EXP 3.2MM, Hyatt Courtesy Card/Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold
I have both iphone and blackberry torch, iphone definitely superior for web , apps and multiple email addresses. no doubt.

blackberry's good for bbm and typing long work emails only.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
AT&T is slowly expanding their Android selection. I'm a big fan of the HTC Aria because of its size. It's the most pocketable Android phone I've handled while still being full-featured. Its 3.2" screen is smaller than the iPhone but, compared to my wife's iPhone 3GS, it fits much more comfortably in pants pockets. It's also extremely snappy for a 600 MHz processor, mainly thanks to a decent 512mb of RAM. It comes with Android 2.1 but stable 2.2 ROMS are available if you're the type willing to root (not too hard, but not for beginners either). Otherwise, official 2.2 is rolling out in Europe right now and should make it state side sometime in Q1 2011. Its main disadvantage is it only includes a 2gb SD card, but it's easily expandable. It's available for $0.01 refurbished with 2yr contract, or $129 new with 2yr contract.

If you do want a large screen phone, AT&T also has the Samsung Captivate for $9.99 refurbished with 2yr contract, or $199 new with 2yr contract. It has a 4" screen, 1GHz processor, Super AMOLED screen, 16gb internal memory, and is pretty much a flagship phone. That said, a phone that big can be tough to carry in a pocket without bulges and being fairly uncomfortable. It also has a glossy plastic faux carbon fiber back cover which looks a bit cheap compared to other Galaxy S phones. Also currently running 2.1 but the official 2.2 ROM has leaked, so it should be rolling out through official channels in the not-to-distant future.

I would avoid the other AT&T Android offerings... mainly the Motorola Android phones because I loathe their BLUR skin, and the Sony Xperia because they have been very slow to release OS updates, with 2.1 being a very recent release and no signs of 2.2 in the near term.

Last edited by IsleOfMan; Dec 22, 2010 at 8:01 pm
Old Dec 22, 2010, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a user of both the iPhone 3GS and the BB 9700 I would have to say that the iPhone wins hands down. Switch from the iPhone to the 9700 is like going back to 1998.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 3:10 am
mee

Very timely thread - I was thinking of starting one just like it!

I made the mistake of committing to a 2 year contract which included a nokia 5800, which turned out to be the worst smartphone in history. In fact it would be more appropriately called a stupidphone.

So now I am considering Iphone vs Android vs BB Torch. (For use in the UK)

I have played around (briefly) with a samsung galaxy S, and HTC wildfire. Have to say I don't think Android comes close. I found the interfaces on both devices clunky and not intuitive. Widgets, apps, shortcuts, home screens vs apps menu etc -- all confusing, even to this techie.

I own an ipod touch, so am familiar with the interface, apps etc. The biggest draw for me is the itunes store, not for music, but for ease of access to podcasts. Not clear to me how android handles music synching or finding, subscribing and downloading podcasts. but despite apple's evil downside, there is an advantage to the all-in-one approach

As for BB, it seems to me that if you want a "communications device", the BB is the way to go -- email, IM, BBM, even social networking. But if you want a "multifunction device", then the iphone / android route is more suitable.

Despite the extra cost and despite slight disapproval for apple's ideas/ideology, I am leaning towards the iphone

Thoughts anyone?

-- Mike
Old Dec 23, 2010, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by mee
I made the mistake of committing to a 2 year contract which included a nokia 5800, which turned out to be the worst smartphone in history. In fact it would be more appropriately called a stupidphone.
Shame you don't like yours - I think mine is fantastic, particularly for the price I paid for it (nothing).

Would be interested to hear what you dislike about it. Also, have you got the latest firmware on it? I find browsing on it (using Opera) great.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 6:49 am

Programs: EXP- finally
Have had the torch 1 month and have an iPod touch 4g. All my partners have 4g iPhones and I have played with them side by side. I can type much better on the torch but the slider is a bit different than the Bold, the keys aren't quite as raised. In my experience in DFW and OK, ORD, and SFO the torch 3G web browsing seems faster than the iPhone 4g. I have no idea why. I do what Wozniak does. I have documents and contacts + kindle on the touch and refer to them while I talk on the torch or text. (Woz apparently does this with 4 iPhones, but he can afford to). Torch screen is smaller. Torch pictures are comparable to iPhone 4g. FaceTime is great on the touch, not available on the bb unless you try qik. Tether is easy with the bb if you use that.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 8:19 am

Programs: DL D & MM, Marriott P, Hilton S, UA, US, AA
Originally Posted by linsj
After a couple of decades of wanting a cell phone to be only a phone, I'm considering a smart phone. At this time, my primary uses for it would be:

* Checking e-mail without downloading it. I have several domain e-mail address and two personal ones, none of which are Web only. I want to be able to read them and answer and delete some, but downloading messages must be left for my computer. I don't have a company exchange (not sure this is the right term); would have to go to each one separately via the browser.

* Looking up info on the Web.

* GPS and maps.

* Travel apps.

Given that my biggest concern is browser speed and usability, would you recommend an iPhone or Blackberry Torch or something else? I like the fact that the BB has a slideout keyboard, but I'm sure I can get used to one on the touch screen.

I'm not locked into AT&T but not looking to change carriers either. (I've been several places where those of us with AT&T were the only ones who could get a signal.)
I just switched to Android and love it, it does everything well that you ask above. I actually switched to T-Mobile and the myTouch 4G for a couple of reasons:
1) WiFi calling, which allows me to use the phone in places where no-one gets a signal, including overseas (without paying international roaming!)
2) T-Mobile HSPA+ (available in most cities) is faster than Sprint WiMax and probably not less than VZW LTE either
3) The HTC skin has a great 'Car Dock' mode which reads text messages aloud and allows you to dictate replies.
4) SYWPE - makes onscreen keyboard a joy to use and very fast

Last edited by DisneyDude; Dec 23, 2010 at 8:31 am Reason: added info
Old Dec 23, 2010, 8:40 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Not owned an android but played around with one. Currently own an iPhone 4 and a work BB Bold (the current model). For what it's worth I think most of the smart phones seem fairly consistent in terms of functionality, apple score ahead on UI and screen but probably not enough to swing it. For mainly email use IMHO you need a keyboard not a touch screen.

Heavy email users aside, where I think Apple win is the apps store and iTunes, the biggest selection of content is with apple and that shows no real sign of changing. For that reason alone I would probably go iPhone.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 9:32 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mee
Very timely thread - I was thinking of starting one just like it!

So now I am considering Iphone vs Android vs BB Torch. (For use in the UK)

I have played around (briefly) with a samsung galaxy S, and HTC wildfire. Have to say I don't think Android comes close. I found the interfaces on both devices clunky and not intuitive. Widgets, apps, shortcuts, home screens vs apps menu etc -- all confusing, even to this techie.

I own an ipod touch, so am familiar with the interface, apps etc. The biggest draw for me is the itunes store, not for music, but for ease of access to podcasts. Not clear to me how android handles music synching or finding, subscribing and downloading podcasts. but despite apple's evil downside, there is an advantage to the all-in-one approach

As for BB, it seems to me that if you want a "communications device", the BB is the way to go -- email, IM, BBM, even social networking. But if you want a "multifunction device", then the iphone / android route is more suitable.

Despite the extra cost and despite slight disapproval for apple's ideas/ideology, I am leaning towards the iphone

Thoughts anyone?

-- Mike
Try a Windows Phone 7 like the Samsung Focus, see what you think. The WP7 UI is pretty much the anti-Droid, so if you hate Android that much, you might be pleasantly surprised with WP7.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 9:41 am
mee

Originally Posted by JClishe
Try a Windows Phone 7 like the Samsung Focus, see what you think. The WP7 UI is pretty much the anti-Droid, so if you hate Android that much, you might be pleasantly surprised with WP7.
Played VERY briefly with WP7 in one of the phone shops, and thought it was ok, but not a patch on iOS. Although my experience of windows mobile products is a bit jaded by the windows mobile 5 on HTC products of a couple of years ago...
Old Dec 23, 2010, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DisneyDude
I just switched to Android and love it, it does everything well that you ask above. I actually switched to T-Mobile and the myTouch 4G for a couple of reasons:
1) WiFi calling, which allows me to use the phone in places where no-one gets a signal, including overseas (without paying international roaming!)
That sounds like a useful feature!
Old Dec 23, 2010, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stueys
For mainly email use IMHO you need a keyboard not a touch screen.
I'm not planning on heavy e-mail usage, only checking when I'm out of the office and have waiting time. E-mails that take long answers probably require info on my computer anyway.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:37 pm
Original Member

Programs: Delta
This is how I feel too. BBM is the blackberry saviour!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.