Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Create your own wifi hotspot using your pc and and a hotel LAN cable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Create your own wifi hotspot using your pc and and a hotel LAN cable?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2010, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF: Plat BD: Gold ICH: Plat Royal Ambassador
Question Create your own wifi hotspot using your pc and and a hotel LAN cable?

It's a pain when you're travellling and the hotel only has internet via cable. Is there a way to plug some device into your pc that creates a temporary wifi hub so you can update your ipod and wifi phone? Preferably something that allows only your devices and not give public access.

There is a program called Joiku hotspot for the Nokia phone that turns it into a little wifi hub that I have found useful for short ipod updating. The paid version allows you to encrypt it so random people can't access the connection and use up your network data.

Thanks in advance for your ideas FTers.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 4:31 am

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
The answer is yes. I know how to do it on a Mac. It's rather simple really. I'm sure there's a way to do it in Windows as well.

On a Mac:
1. Hook up the hotel's LAN cable.
2. System Preferences > Sharing > Check "Internet Sharing" > Select Share your connection from: Ethernet; To computers using: Airport.
3. Click "Airport Options" and fill-in the required Network name, encryption and password.

Voila! You have your own mini-hotspot with its own SSID and Password.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On Windows 7, you can install Connectify:

http://www.connectify.me/
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:37 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Yup. And it's possible it might even work. Or not.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Internet Connection Sharing within Windows 7 can easily create an Ad Hoc WiFi network with most wired hotel internet connections. I've done this a few times, mainly so I could use my iPad when no in-room WiFi was available. I've never needed a third-party app.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 8:23 pm

Programs: Newly minted AA EXP Plat., disatisfied UA 1K, Marriott Silver & Hilton Gold
Can this be done in Window 7 without additional software?
Old Nov 23, 2010, 10:30 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold
How about jailbreaking your iphone and using THAT to create a hotspot? I do it at the airport all the time!
Old Nov 24, 2010, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF: Plat BD: Gold ICH: Plat Royal Ambassador
Thanks to all for these suggestions. I will give them a try and let you know how I get on.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 3:24 am

You can try Virtual Router if you have Windows 7.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 10:23 am

If you have XP, you can create an ad-hoc network.

I shared a 3g usb mobile broadband connection to another laptop, a pda, and phone while traveling in NZ.

I can't find the exact page I used to set it up.

But I remember that I created a new wireless network connection using my initials as the SSID name ie XYZ. Then I bridged the 3g usb internet connection (or LAN wired connection in your case) with my laptop's wifi connection.

I enabled ICS (internet connection sharing) on the wifi connection and had the other laptop connect to the XYZ network with a simple password that I set on my laptop.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 12:04 pm

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
I always travel with an airport express because of hotel rooms with ethernet cables. Simply connect up your computer to activate the internet connection, plug the airport express into a power socket near the ethernet socket, switch the ethernet cable from your computer into the airport express and hey presto you have wireless in your room.

I set up my airport express to hide the SSID which is the simplest form of security if you want colleagues in adjacent rooms to share your connection.

When you get home, plug it into a power socket near your stereo and use it to catch and play your itunes music without needing to drag wires all around the house.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 3:30 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Takire
You can try Virtual Router if you have Windows 7.
Wow. Unlike my frustrating experience with Connectify, this worked swimmingly. ^
Old Nov 25, 2010, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by cblaisd
And note my posting #13 in this thread, in which I discover that Connectify secretly installed the Ask toolbar along with its non-functional self.

Regarding Virtual Router, would it permit two laptops to share one (paid) wireless connection. E.g., two friends share one GoGo connection during a flight?

Last edited by Middle_Seat; Nov 25, 2010 at 7:45 pm Reason: Added a Question About Virtual Router
Old Nov 25, 2010, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by ericjkelly
How about jailbreaking your iphone and using THAT to create a hotspot? I do it at the airport all the time!
And how do you plug in the hotel's RJ45 cable into the jailbroken iPhone?
Old Nov 26, 2010, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by ginger50
I always travel with an airport express because of hotel rooms with ethernet cables.
I'll echo that recommendation. Additional benefits are easy access for everyone if you are working with colleagues in your room and access for all gadgets that may benefit (think iPhone or iPod touch)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.