SIM Card for Australia and UK?

Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:46 pm
dtc
Original Poster

Programs: Restarting life as UA newb; AA Lifetime Gold

Hey folks,

Going to London and Sydney for a week each. I have a Quad Band Samsung Focus.

Any recommendations on sim card strategy so that I place/receive a few calls in AU and UK? Data would be nice too, but I'm not that demanding.

Keeping costs down is preferred.

Last edited by dtc; Aug 24, 2011 at 1:18 pm
Old Aug 25, 2011, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by dtc
Hey folks,

Going to London and Sydney for a week each. I have a Quad Band Samsung Focus.

Any recommendations on sim card strategy so that I place/receive a few calls in AU and UK? Data would be nice too, but I'm not that demanding.

Keeping costs down is preferred.
Since you're going to be in the UK and Australia for a week each I'd recommend getting SIM cards for both countries rather than getting an international card. The reason being that international cards while convenient do not give you the best rates for calls or data.

For the UK go here. For Australia go here. For international SIM cards go here.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 11:09 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Delta Gold
This might be a good choice. I think it is tailored for Australia, UK and USA.

http://www.truphone.com

http://www.truphone.com/en-US/Produc...lobal-network/
Old Aug 29, 2011, 9:52 am

Two SIMs is the way to go in this case

The reasons is that both countries offer very good rates with local SIM cards. I would recommend the Lebara SIMs for both the UK and Australia. For both countries, you get calls back to the US for about $0.05 per minute (besides the free incoming calls). Also, most people who are going to Australia are there for at least a week. If you were going to Australia for a couple of days and then a couple of days in the UK, then a roaming SIM would have done the trick. The Lebara SIMs are not easy to find, especially in Australia. If you just pick up a local SIM when you arrive (Optus for example), the rates will not be close to a $0.05. You can get the SIMs online before you leave from Amazon (less expensive but zero customer service) or Cellular Abroad (costs a bit more but they throw in shipping plus they have excellent customer service - www.cellularabroad.com)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.