Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Anyone here excited for WP7?

Anyone here excited for WP7?

Old Oct 13, 2010, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Right. MfE supports basically inbox and no other folders. Or maybe inbox and outbox. So it is basically useless to me and I would guess the majority of other Exchange users. I used my first Symbian device in the 90s, a Psion 5MX. Great hardware, more or less couldnt do anything I wanted due to the software. Not seeing much difference now.
Apparently version 3 of MfE supports full subfolder syncing:

Mail for Exchange uses the Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync protocol that enables you to use the email, contacts, calendar entries, and tasks of your Microsoft Exchange Server account on your compatible Nokia device. To use this software you must have an account on Exchange 2010, 2007 or 2003 Server. Compatible software release off ered with this download for your Nokia device model is Mail for Exchange 3.0. New features with Mail for Exchange 3.0 include subfolder support and HTML email viewing.

Again, have no way to test it myself.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Originally Posted by wco81
BTW, what do people think of the UI design?

I'm not feeling the pastel colors and the large tiles. I guess you can get more status info. without launching an app. but it might mean scrolling more to find the item you were looking for.

Aside from the usability/ergonomics issues, the esthetics seem off. But that's a purely subjective thing.
I HATED the Zune UI, and although I have not tried WP7 in person, I have to say the UI is FUGLY.

My opinion, of course, may change, after playing with the WP7 personally. Who knows, anything's possible.

WP7 has 3 major fails right now: no copy / paste, no multi-tasking, and not able to swap SD cards unless you wipe the phone and start fresh again.

FAIL FAIL FAIL

The first ones on WP7 of course will be happy as a pig, loving being guinea pigs for crapola OS verson 1, and profess undying love for it.

Just like Windows versions where I don't jump onboard until service pack 1, I'll be staying far far away from WP7 until at least revision 1. But I can never see myself using WP7 over Android, or even the lowly iPhone.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus
WP7 has 3 major fails right now: no copy / paste, no multi-tasking, and not able to swap SD cards unless you wipe the phone and start fresh again.
Wait, what?!

Um. That's... strange.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by typical
Wait, what?!

Um. That's... strange.
Yes it is shocking, I couldn't believe it myself!!!!

http://www.phonedog.com/2010/10/12/w...swap-sd-cards/

UPDATE: It looks like Windows Phone 7 does support expandable storage after all. The catch is that if you want to use a new SD card, you'll have to perform a hard reset on the device to allow the new card and the internal memory/OS to combine.
Crazy Microsoft!!!
Old Oct 13, 2010, 4:12 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by nkedel
WordPerfect passed the version 7 mark a very long time ago. I remember using it.
I know, it was just a first-blush reaction. I actually use WP13.

And they've managed to keep the same file structure since WP 3 for DOS.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by cblaisd
And they've managed to keep the same file structure since WP 3 for DOS.
Huh? The file structure definitely changed between WP4.2, 5.1 and WP6.0 for DOS[*]; you could open older versions in newer. I used WP7 and 8 a bit as I had to support them at a job, but don't have any old documents to remember what the file format was like.

I also have a copy of WP6.0 for Dos installed in my games directory (runs under Dosbox) as I discovered a few old password protected documents from when I was in high school that I wanted to open (amazingly, I still remembered the password. Unamazingly, once I looked over them stuff I considered super-personal in high school was ridiculously dumb.)[**]

[* I have enough old WP documents around that I loaded the old Office Converter pack onto Office 2k7, and it has separate converters for 5 and 6. It can't read WP4 documents. ]
[** I also just realized that I should check if it could read my old AmiPro documents - it can, so AmiPro -> WP6 -> Word gives me a way to get at some old documents that were otherwise unavailable. ]

Last edited by nkedel; Oct 13, 2010 at 5:25 pm
Old Oct 13, 2010, 6:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Apparently version 3 of MfE supports full subfolder syncing:

Mail for Exchange uses the Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync protocol that enables you to use the email, contacts, calendar entries, and tasks of your Microsoft Exchange Server account on your compatible Nokia device. To use this software you must have an account on Exchange 2010, 2007 or 2003 Server. Compatible software release off ered with this download for your Nokia device model is Mail for Exchange 3.0. New features with Mail for Exchange 3.0 include subfolder support and HTML email viewing.

Again, have no way to test it myself.
Thanks. I wasnt aware of that change. It is probably a case of too little though. Neither Verizon nor ATT even carry high end Nokia phones anymore. I have a Verizon phone and an ATT phone. I dont think Nokia makes unlocked CDMA phones so I cant use one on Verizon. As far as ATT Im sticking with the iPhone there so it looks like not that either. Maybe when things consolidate on LTE if Nokia has something I can check it out. Although I have never had a good experience with Symbian.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 8:08 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by nkedel
Huh? The file structure definitely changed between WP4.2, 5.1 and WP6.0 for DOS[*]; you could open older versions in newer. I used WP7 and 8 a bit as I had to support them at a job, but don't have any old documents to remember what the file format was like.
My bad. I should have said 5.1 for Windows.

[* I have enough old WP documents around
I have them going back to 1993

that I loaded the old Office Converter pack onto Office 2k7, and it has separate converters for 5 and 6. It can't read WP4 documents. ]
[** I also just realized that I should check if it could read my old AmiPro documents - it can, so AmiPro -> WP6 -> Word gives me a way to get at some old documents that were otherwise unavailable. ]
WordPerfect does have a truly amazing set of file converters built in.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Here is a link to settle the expandable memory debate

http://windowsphonesecrets.com/2010/...vable-storage/

In a nut shell there is expandable memory though one should more think of it as permanent. Once it is in everything is treated as though it is one in the same. From a basic user perspective this far beats the alternative of having to keep track of where your apps/contacts/music are stored, IMHO and I think it is a simple way to make up for manufactures who don't want to go all out with internal storage to keep the price of the phone down.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by cblaisd
My bad. I should have said 5.1 for Windows.
Gotcha. I'm guessing that was roughly the same as the 6.0 for DOS format?

I have them going back to 1993
88 here. Now I feel old.

WordPerfect does have a truly amazing set of file converters built in.
It certainly does. WP6 was an amazing piece of software for DOS in general - although its GUI mode was a bit pokey on the lower-end hardware of the day, you could still use it in plain-ol' text mode at which point it would run on almost anything.

Originally Posted by adambadam

In a nut shell there is expandable memory though one should more think of it as permanent. Once it is in everything is treated as though it is one in the same. From a basic user perspective this far beats the alternative of having to keep track of where your apps/contacts/music are stored, IMHO and I think it is a simple way to make up for manufactures who don't want to go all out with internal storage to keep the price of the phone down.
I continue to be unimpressed; Windows CE had a nice solution for making the location of files between main memory and storage cards pretty much transparent while at the same time not limiting your ability to manage storage, swap cards, or FTM, read/write to them on a PC.

I'm assuming the real reason for this limitation is DRM/sandboxing, which is in general their theme of making these as much like the iPhone as possible. Feh.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 11:18 pm

Thumbs up

I'm not that excited about this new Windows Phone 7. I am contented on my current device that I use. So far, it meets my communication requirements. If ever my communication requirements grown and my current device don't meet the needed tasks then I will check out this WP7.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. I wasnt aware of that change. It is probably a case of too little though. Neither Verizon nor ATT even carry high end Nokia phones anymore. I have a Verizon phone and an ATT phone. I dont think Nokia makes unlocked CDMA phones so I cant use one on Verizon. As far as ATT Im sticking with the iPhone there so it looks like not that either.
Nokia's (bad) relationship with the US carriers has always harmed it - frankly, none of them have ever had a good track record of carrying high end Nokia devices.

That drives a bit of a reality distortion field around Nokia in the US media - they remain the largest smartphone manufacturer in the world but are completely ignored in US discourse.

There is quite a shift going on in the US market momentum now, though, from iPhone to Android. WM7 and Symbian - and WebOS, I guess - have a good opportunity right now to be disruptive there. It'll be down to the carriers whether they open that choice up to their customers.

(It's funny to me that the iPhone 4 is the first model I consider to have enough features for me to seriously think about buying - and I find it really ugly!)
Old Oct 14, 2010, 3:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9650/5.0.0.732 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Thanks. I wasnt aware of that change. It is probably a case of too little though. Neither Verizon nor ATT even carry high end Nokia phones anymore. I have a Verizon phone and an ATT phone. I dont think Nokia makes unlocked CDMA phones so I cant use one on Verizon. As far as ATT Im sticking with the iPhone there so it looks like not that either.
Nokia's (bad) relationship with the US carriers has always harmed it - frankly, none of them have ever had a good track record of carrying high end Nokia devices.

That drives a bit of a reality distortion field around Nokia in the US media - they remain the largest smartphone manufacturer in the world but are completely ignored in US discourse.

There is quite a shift going on in the US market momentum now, though, from iPhone to Android. WM7 and Symbian - and WebOS, I guess - have a good opportunity right now to be disruptive there. It'll be down to the carriers whether they open that choice up to their customers.

(It's funny to me that the iPhone 4 is the first model I consider to have enough features for me to seriously think about buying - and I find it really ugly!)
I think they used to carry higher end Nokia phones but I suspect they didn't sell well as newer and more functional options came out. My last Nokia phone was a 6600. I couldn't really use it for mail well. Then all of a sudden BB then WinMo and later iPhone and Android come along. All of them can do exchange mail reasonably well and not Nokia from what I could tell. The new version you mentioned of Nokia Exchange mail came out when, this year? So it is 2010 before they get good exchange function? Or maybe a little earlier?

Enterprise customers drive a lot of the smart phone market in the US. No exchange, no enterprise. I think that has been a much bigger problem for Nokia. From my perpective they were beautiful amd great as phones but had essentially no smart phone capabilities worth speaking of for me since I used exchange.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think they used to carry higher end Nokia phones but I suspect they didn't sell well as newer and more functional options came out. My last Nokia phone was a 6600. I couldn't really use it for mail well. Then all of a sudden BB then WinMo and later iPhone and Android come along. All of them can do exchange mail reasonably well and not Nokia from what I could tell. The new version you mentioned of Nokia Exchange mail came out when, this year? So it is 2010 before they get good exchange function? Or maybe a little earlier?
From Nokia, yes (though plenty of people used MfE without subfolder support, it has been a long running sore point as I understand it).

RoadSync from DataViz has been around for years, and is a very good Exchange solution (I see people recommending it for Android, in fact). Of course, you have to pay for it.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by adambadam

That defeats the purpose of "removable" cards.

A lot of Android phones are coming with 8 GB or 16GB internal memory, plus the expandable SD cards. And the cheapest Android phones still allow removable media cards. With Froyo's incredible performance, and App2SD, it makes it even more valuable to be able to easily swap out cards, or to upgrade from a 2 GB to 8GB to 32GB without skipping a beat.

This WP7 move is DRM related. Marketed under the guise of "performance." MS Fanboys jump on board and buy the lie.

I knew someone would come to defend the WP7's idiocy of making removable media non-removable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.