Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

What is the best smartphone out there (and available on Verizon)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2010, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist

In your opinion, what is the best available (or soon to be released) smartphone out there that is available on Verizon's network? We're in the market for our first smartphone and I would appreciate any advice. Here are our only conditions:
1) Must be available on Verizon due to the hefty corporate discount my wife receives.
2) I would substantially prefer the Android platform over Windows, from what I've read so far.
3) A secondary preference would be a device that is not ridiculously huge and could fit in a pocket, if necessary.

I would love to hear everyone's opinions and why.

Thanks a bunch!
Old Oct 11, 2010, 7:29 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
My wife and I just upgraded to the Droid X and I LOVE it. So does she. The screen is huge, the processor is fast, and it has a 16GB microSD card. I moved up from a non-smart phone with a keyboard, and I don't miss the external keyboard (yet). I also have an iPod Touch, and the screen on the Droid X looks and feels significantly larger.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Yes Droid X.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:44 pm

Third vote for the Droid X. It's Android as you mentioned, and even though it is a large phone, one you actually use it you'll realize that the screen size is really close to ideal.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Droid X, as mentioned before is popular.

Another Android phone that's out now that a lot of people love is the HTC Incredible.

One that's coming out, supposedly around Thanksgiving (but no firm date) is the HTC Scorpion.

If you're looking for a World Phone, you will have to wait for the Droid Pro (it's a Droid 2 with quad-band technology).

I'm on VZW with an old BlackBerry. Personally, I'm waiting for until late January. Here's why:

1. Apple usually likes to make a splash in late January, and I would be very interested to learn if they will (or won't) release a CDMA iPhone (have heard Apple waits until this time so people who got phones for Christmas can't return them on the 30-day return period).

2. By late January, all the phones released in late 2010 will have been analyzed to death and I can see other user experiences go.

Personally, I'm anxious to see the HTC Scorpion.....I've played with the HTC Incredible, and it is a very nice phone, but it is not a world phone.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LessO2
Personally, I'm anxious to see the HTC Scorpion.....I've played with the HTC Incredible, and it is a very nice phone, but it is not a world phone.
Thanks for the replies so far.

First, we're not in need of a world phone as we already have the covered through a corporate blackberry with world coverage.

Regarding the Droid X versus the HTC Incredible, why is the Droid X (seemingly) more popular? According to the specs comparison, the Incredible is an ounce lighter, 1/2 inch shorter, not as wide, and other than a deficit in memory vs the Droid X, pretty much exactly the same. Is it the memory difference that are driving more people to the Droid X instead?

As for the HTC Scorpion, does anyone know anything about the possible specs? Google doesn't come up with very many.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by scotty00
Thanks for the replies so far.

First, we're not in need of a world phone as we already have the covered through a corporate blackberry with world coverage.

Regarding the Droid X versus the HTC Incredible, why is the Droid X (seemingly) more popular? According to the specs comparison, the Incredible is an ounce lighter, 1/2 inch shorter, not as wide, and other than a deficit in memory vs the Droid X, pretty much exactly the same. Is it the memory difference that are driving more people to the Droid X instead?

As for the HTC Scorpion, does anyone know anything about the possible specs? Google doesn't come up with very many.
I like how you point out the physical size differences of the phone in detail, neglecting to also note that the Droid X's screen is 4.3" versus the Incredible's 3.7". For many people, this form factor makes surfing the web, typing, and using the phone much easier. For web surfing in particular, that extra space really makes a noticeable difference. But you are right, other than size and memory the specs are pretty similar. It sounds like you would prefer the Incredible, based on the focus on it's size.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by godlovesugly
I like how you point out the physical size differences of the phone in detail, neglecting to also note that the Droid X's screen is 4.3" versus the Incredible's 3.7". For many people, this form factor makes surfing the web, typing, and using the phone much easier. For web surfing in particular, that extra space really makes a noticeable difference. But you are right, other than size and memory the specs are pretty similar. It sounds like you would prefer the Incredible, based on the focus on it's size.
Well I guess that's one of the things that one overlooks considering this is our first smartphone (and for some reason, the screen size comparison spec isn't available on verizonwireless.com). Thanks for the heads-up though; I hadn't considered that in the phones I've looked at yet.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by scotty00
Well I guess that's one of the things that one overlooks considering this is our first smartphone (and for some reason, the screen size comparison spec isn't available on verizonwireless.com). Thanks for the heads-up though; I hadn't considered that in the phones I've looked at yet.
Fair enough, I hope my earlier comment didn't come off mean. What I would really recommend, particularly as this is your first smartphone, is trying the phones in person at a Verizon store or a Best Buy (but not buy there, as you can save money online). You should know pretty soon what form factor works best for you. Also keep the Droid 2 in mind if you desire a physical keyboard. The specs of that phone are good enough for a zippy experience.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by godlovesugly
Fair enough, I hope my earlier comment didn't come off mean. What I would really recommend, particularly as this is your first smartphone, is trying the phones in person at a Verizon store or a Best Buy (but not buy there, as you can save money online). You should know pretty soon what form factor works best for you. Also keep the Droid 2 in mind if you desire a physical keyboard. The specs of that phone are good enough for a zippy experience.
I second the try it in person first sentiment.

HTC Scropion specs are all pure speculation right now, but the initial guess is that it will have a 1.5 ghz processor. Some folks have guessed it will have an 8mp camera, some say 5mp. Also the talk is that it will have Android 2.2 on it.

All speculation, nothing is confirmed.

FWIW, this is the phone I am eagerly awaiting. If the guesses on those specs are true, that will be something I would be very interested in.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 2:51 pm

Programs: PC Plat, DL PM, Avis First, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
If you aren't in too much of a hurry, it may be worth it to wait a couple of months. Verizon is on the verge of launching their 4g service (called LTE). There are rumors (see here) that 4g phones will be available yet this fall. As a Droid 1 user whose first year is over, that is what I've been waiting for.

Chris
Old Oct 13, 2010, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can keep waiting. It's always waiting waiting waiting. Meanwhile I'm on my 3rd Android phone and loving life.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus
You can keep waiting. It's always waiting waiting waiting. Meanwhile I'm on my 3rd Android phone and loving life.
Android has been out for barely two years, and you're on your third phone? For me, I prefer to find the right phone and keep it for a couple of years. I don't want to be spending, spending, spending on a new phone.

I'm glad buying your third Android phone brings you great joy in life.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 4:39 pm

Programs: United, American, Southwest, USAirways, Delta
What about the Apps?

I am also interested in the Droid X. What about the apps for it? Are you happy with the selection, as compared with iphone?

One of the reasons iphone is so popular - every time you turn around, there's an ad for something which also has an iphone app available. With the Droid, will I feel like I'm missing anything?
Old Oct 13, 2010, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LessO2
Android has been out for barely two years, and you're on your third phone? For me, I prefer to find the right phone and keep it for a couple of years. I don't want to be spending, spending, spending on a new phone.

I'm glad buying your third Android phone brings you great joy in life.
Yes absolutely. Android phones are being improved and introduced every 2-3 months, that is what's so awesome about this platform!!

I got my Samsung Moment last November, and then the Evo came out in June with 4G, front facing camera, 1G processor, and then the Epic came out at end of August.

The Evo and Epic were huge upgrades to the Moment, so I was able to upgrade and get the sweet new phones.

That's the awesomeness of Android. You can buy a phone and stay with it for a year or two, no problem with that.

But if you want, you can upgrade to a new phone and sell the old phone to recoup some of the cost, and enjoy a new phone. Very nice option rather than those on other platforms, where innovation happens once a year or two, and you're stuck with the same OS / phone for a very long time.

I have an iPhone 2G, iPhone 3GS, blackberry, Windows Mobile, Palm Centro. Out of all the phones, Android is simply the best.

It doesn't sound like you know or use Android, so you're stuck in the mentality of "using a phone for a couple of years"... Android has accelerated development and innovation, so a few months results in incredible new enhancements. Since I can afford to upgrade and enjoy the new gadgets, why the heck not? As a frequent traveler my phone is my communications hub, so it is essential for me as a tool.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.