Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Sign in using an external account

Old Sep 10, 10, 11:36 am   #1

Programs: AA EXP/LT GOLD, PC RA
Turning off the NEW Kindle

Just got in my NEW kindle and it is amazing. I have started the addiuction, but one question:

How do I turn it off? It does not say anything about turning off in the manual so what do I do on flights.
Old Sep 10, 10, 11:47 am   #2
Moderator: Travel Technology & Travel Photography

It only uses power when changing what's on the screen, so for all intents and purposes it is off. Else if you're feeling paranoid, you can hold the power slider until the screen blanks.
gfunkdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 10, 11:50 am   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post
It only uses power when changing what's on the screen, so for all intents and purposes it is off. Else if you're feeling paranoid, you can hold the power slider until the screen blanks.
oh that is soooooooo cool! mine is coming in next week! I can't wait. no more carrying around multiple books when traveling!
PeasInAPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 10, 12:27 pm   #4

Programs: AA EXP/LT GOLD, PC RA
Quote:
no paranoia involved -- just wanted to know if it goes completely off. Nowadays, the FA announces to SHUT OFF all electronic devices and e-readers also. Just wanted to know how to shut it down completely.

thanks for the help.
Old Sep 10, 10, 12:46 pm   #5
Moderator: Travel Technology & Travel Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaggie View Post
no paranoia involved -- just wanted to know if it goes completely off. Nowadays, the FA announces to SHUT OFF all electronic devices and e-readers also. Just wanted to know how to shut it down completely.

thanks for the help.
I usually just close my Kindle case and put it away. Or I just keep on reading. Nobody seems to care either way.
gfunkdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 10, 2:28 pm   #6

Quote:
I usually just close my Kindle case and put it away. Or I just keep on reading. Nobody seems to care either way.
As long as wifi/3g turned off, closing the kindle case and putting away is the best way. It actually turns off automatically if not used for 5-10 minutes.
dtsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 10, 7:34 pm   #7
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsm View Post
As long as wifi/3g turned off, closing the kindle case and putting away is the best way. It actually turns off automatically if not used for 5-10 minutes.
No it doesn't - it changes to a screensaver-type image, but anyone looking at it would certainly think it was off.

The e-ink screens do not use power unless changing pages, provided the wireless radio is off. That's why it switches to this mode and can leave an image on the screen.
star_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 10, 1:37 pm   #8
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_world View Post
No it doesn't - it changes to a screensaver-type image, but anyone looking at it would certainly think it was off.

The e-ink screens do not use power unless changing pages, provided the wireless radio is off. That's why it switches to this mode and can leave an image on the screen.
In fact, you can completely remove the screen from the device and the image remains intact. Kind of like tearing a page out of a book.
birdstrike is offline   Reply With Quote