Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 10, 10, 11:36 am   #1
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: ELP
Programs: AA EXP/LT GOLD, PC RA
Posts: 3,569
Turning off the NEW Kindle

Just got in my NEW kindle and it is amazing. I have started the addiuction, but one question:

How do I turn it off? It does not say anything about turning off in the manual so what do I do on flights.
__________________
My OTHER hobby on YOUTUBE.
anaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 10, 11:47 am   #2
Moderator: Travel Technology & Travel Photography
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,612
It only uses power when changing what's on the screen, so for all intents and purposes it is off. Else if you're feeling paranoid, you can hold the power slider until the screen blanks.
gfunkdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 10, 11:50 am   #3
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post
It only uses power when changing what's on the screen, so for all intents and purposes it is off. Else if you're feeling paranoid, you can hold the power slider until the screen blanks.
oh that is soooooooo cool! mine is coming in next week! I can't wait. no more carrying around multiple books when traveling!
PeasInAPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 10, 12:27 pm   #4
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: ELP
Programs: AA EXP/LT GOLD, PC RA
Posts: 3,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post
It only uses power when changing what's on the screen, so for all intents and purposes it is off. Else if you're feeling paranoid, you can hold the power slider until the screen blanks.
no paranoia involved -- just wanted to know if it goes completely off. Nowadays, the FA announces to SHUT OFF all electronic devices and e-readers also. Just wanted to know how to shut it down completely.

thanks for the help.
__________________
My OTHER hobby on YOUTUBE.
anaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 10, 12:46 pm   #5
Moderator: Travel Technology & Travel Photography
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by anaggie View Post
no paranoia involved -- just wanted to know if it goes completely off. Nowadays, the FA announces to SHUT OFF all electronic devices and e-readers also. Just wanted to know how to shut it down completely.

thanks for the help.
I usually just close my Kindle case and put it away. Or I just keep on reading. Nobody seems to care either way.
gfunkdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 10, 2:28 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tri-State Area
Posts: 3,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post
I usually just close my Kindle case and put it away. Or I just keep on reading. Nobody seems to care either way.
As long as wifi/3g turned off, closing the kindle case and putting away is the best way. It actually turns off automatically if not used for 5-10 minutes.
dtsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 10, 7:34 pm   #7
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: ORD / DUB / LHR
Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Posts: 8,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsm View Post
As long as wifi/3g turned off, closing the kindle case and putting away is the best way. It actually turns off automatically if not used for 5-10 minutes.
No it doesn't - it changes to a screensaver-type image, but anyone looking at it would certainly think it was off.

The e-ink screens do not use power unless changing pages, provided the wireless radio is off. That's why it switches to this mode and can leave an image on the screen.
star_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 10, 1:37 pm   #8
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 15,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by star_world View Post
No it doesn't - it changes to a screensaver-type image, but anyone looking at it would certainly think it was off.

The e-ink screens do not use power unless changing pages, provided the wireless radio is off. That's why it switches to this mode and can leave an image on the screen.
In fact, you can completely remove the screen from the device and the image remains intact. Kind of like tearing a page out of a book.
birdstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:35 pm.