Wiki Posts
Search

Stupid iTunes question... - how to restore previous downloads

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2010, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Stupid iTunes question... - how to restore previous downloads

I'm setting up some new Apple devices, but I can't figure out how to get a list of all apps I've already purchased. I don't want to do a restore. On my Android phone, all paid apps are listed in the market as such, but I can't find a similar option on the iPod Touch. I've got over $250 in paid apps, and don't want to have to guess which ones I want to reinstall or not. I also would prefer not having to dig through 3 years of purchase history. Surely there is an easier way?

Any shortcuts or logical things I'm missing here?
Old Sep 10, 2010, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Now it is really annoying me - I can't even tell in the app store that an app was previously purchased until I click "buy now".
Old Sep 10, 2010, 3:59 pm

When you do the 1st sync it offers you the option of either downloading all apps, or manually choosing those from your library (assuming you've signed into your iTunes account)?
Old Sep 10, 2010, 4:38 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
If you sync your device regularly with your computer, they should all be listed in your iTunes library under Apps.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer
If you sync your device regularly with your computer, they should all be listed in your iTunes library under Apps.
They are not - and iTunes is signed in with the account I used to buy them.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
When you do the 1st sync it offers you the option of either downloading all apps, or manually choosing those from your library (assuming you've signed into your iTunes account)?
Nope. Was never asked that. And yes - I am signed in.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 5:16 pm

You may have deleted some already from your device, but there is an "apps" entry in itunes in top section of the left hand pane. Also, plug in your device, right click it, and choose "transfer apps to itunes" or whatever that item is (is it included in "transfer purchases" maybe?), that will get the rest of the apps you bought on the device itself transferred back to itunes. You should do that periodically, if you tend to buy content that way, and you can do a backup while you are there. That's how you get that list of purchased apps in your itunes library. Once they are transferred to that apps section of your itunes library, you can delete them, update them, etc from there. They also organize them into ipad, iphone + ipad, etc sections, like in the app store.

On the modern version of itunes with reasonably up to date firmware on the touch, there's an apps tab on the first page when you select the device in itunes. That's the screen where you can choose to automatically download all apps to the device or just selected ones, and you can re-arrange the different pages of apps there also, right from itunes. That's where that stuff is. You have that, right? If you didn't upgrade the firmware on the touch to 3.something you might not have that.

I hope some or all of that helps.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Sep 10, 2010 at 5:29 pm
Old Sep 10, 2010, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
After plugging in your device, go to the page where you can do a manual sinc. Click 'apps' (at the top of the page) and you will be presented with your list of apps.

You have to click on the ones (produces a check mark) that you want on your new device.

When finished click on 'apply' on the lower right hand part of the page.

Will not function if no device is attached.

That is also where you can organize your app collection.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 5:27 pm

Right, that's how you get the ones already in your itunes library onto the new device, but they have to be in itunes first.

-David
Old Sep 10, 2010, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
After plugging in your device, go to the page where you can do a manual sinc. Click 'apps' (at the top of the page) and you will be presented with your list of apps.

You have to click on the ones (produces a check mark) that you want on your new device.

When finished click on 'apply' on the lower right hand part of the page.

Will not function if no device is attached.

That is also where you can organize your app collection.
None of my apps are there. I went through every screen and button I could find.

There has to be a way to sync iTunes with my past purchases in the store? It knows all my purchased mysic, but I just can't get it to find apps... I've tried the transfer purchases, and that doesn't transfer anything.

Perhaps it is time to email Apple
Old Sep 10, 2010, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

And before I seem rude - thank you everyone for your tips!
Old Sep 10, 2010, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by ScottC

There has to be a way to sync iTunes with my past purchases in the store? It knows all my purchased mysic, but I just can't get it to find apps... I've tried the transfer purchases, and that doesn't transfer anything.

There's no apps in your itunes library at all, and it won't transfer the apps from your old ipod touch to the itunes library? Time to do some searching I guess.

You are using an up to date itunes and you have 3.something (not 3.0) fw on your ipod touch, right? (or iphone). I think you need 3.1 for the apps screens in the devices section.

I can't think of any other way to get them into your itunes library if you didn't buy them in itunes or transfer them from your devices after buying them on the device. (Well, other than brute force, because it won't charge you again, if you do purchase it in itunes, using the same itunes account.)
Old Sep 10, 2010, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I found all the apps exactly where they are supposed to be (iTunes/iTunes Media/Mobile Applications) but nothing I did would make itunes find them. Then I decided to be silly and just drag and drop them into the apps screen - and now they are all there.

So weird that it didn't find them itself.

This was for a new iPod Touch on 4.1, so the firmware can't be the issue. I'm wondering whether this was a bug in iTunes 10?

Anyway, they all appear to be moving back (all 240 of them)

Thanks!
Old Sep 11, 2010, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I'm glad it is working!

Sometimes you can fiddle and fiddle with iTunes and then for no logical reason something works.

Just when you do figure it out, they will change something.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 8:47 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
Just when you do figure it out, they will change something.
Isn't that the truth! Sometimes I think it would be easier, when I buy or update an update, for them to make me acknowledge when the iTunes Store's T&Cs haven't changed. Four times in the last month I've had to go through the rigamarole of acknowledging changed T&Cs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.