Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO-Dirt,SPG-Nothing,Marriott-Gold, Hilton-Blue, Hyatt-Plat, HI-Plat
pogoplug

Anyone tried out a pogoplug yet?
Thoughts
Old Aug 17, 2010, 5:03 pm

I am trying to use the service with a Seagate Dockstar (which comes with a subscription to Pogoplug) and a FreeAgent Go hard drive. I was not having success with backing up via the network, so Seagate said my Dockstar was bad and have sent me a new one, which I have not yet installed.

The concept is good, but I am not sure about the execution yet. What are your plans for using Pogoplug?
Old Aug 17, 2010, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
But with Pogoplug your stuff is not really in the cloud. Perhaps it's fine for smallish files, but you're always going to have the limitation of your upload speeds.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I've used one since the first version. they work nice, and just as described. Within MINUTES your local hard drives, thumb drives, etc can be connected and available on the LAN or WAN even. Makes a great device for photo sharing, backups, hosting of documents for colleagues, etc.

But, I would add that while on the LAN the contents are transferred locally and quickly. when accessing on the WAN you are limited to your UPLOAD speed from home, which could be good if you have cable or FIOS, or poor if you have low end DSL. Also, all the DATA is actually TRANSFERRED VIA the pogoplug servers - which for some might be a non-starter. Pogoplug has always said, they don't store or cache anything that is transferred from devices to clients outside on the WAN but who really knows.

Currently, one can get this latest version from buy.com for 48$ SHIPPED, and I would imagine that this would qualify for their new FREE wireless adaptor for current customers. For that money, it really is a no brainer.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO-Dirt,SPG-Nothing,Marriott-Gold, Hilton-Blue, Hyatt-Plat, HI-Plat
Originally Posted by ND Sol
I am trying to use the service with a Seagate Dockstar (which comes with a subscription to Pogoplug) and a FreeAgent Go hard drive. I was not having success with backing up via the network, so Seagate said my Dockstar was bad and have sent me a new one, which I have not yet installed.

The concept is good, but I am not sure about the execution yet. What are your plans for using Pogoplug?
I have a few files that I'd like to access from the road-actually one is a small web based one and from what reading seems that this can be flashed to act as a small web server, then I can use my BB to acesss DB app
2. Would seem handy to upload photo's to while on the road

Originally Posted by nmenaker
...Currently, one can get this latest version from buy.com for 48$ SHIPPED, and I would imagine that this would qualify for their new FREE wireless adaptor for current customers. For that money, it really is a no brainer.
hence my reason for asking-seems like a no brainer at that price point.
Hate the color but maybe Krylon can fix that.
Looks like the Seagate can be had for few $$ cheaper but I'm reading conflicting reports as to whether the pogo service is free for life with that
seagate
Old Aug 18, 2010, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
[QUOTE=windwalker;14505343] It appears that one needed to ACTIVATE prior to aug 17th in order to get the dongle for free. Might be some wiggle room, but it might not come included. At 48$, sans dongle (for 30$) it really is like getting it for 78$ or so - if one really WANTS the dongle.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 8:12 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I am wanting to move files from a seemingly-now-failing NAS on my local network to a 1TB drive connected to my Pogoplug. My question is this: If in the future, I want to ditch the Pogoplug are the files on the drive accessible/usable via normal Windows tools -- or does Pogoplug do something to the files to make them accessible proprietarily (is that word?) only via Pogoplug?

TIA
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:02 am

Programs: AA LifetimeGold, WN A-ListPreferred, B6 Mosaic, ChoicePrivileges Diamond, BestWestern Diamond Select
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I am wanting to move files from a seemingly-now-failing NAS on my local network to a 1TB drive connected to my Pogoplug. My question is this: If in the future, I want to ditch the Pogoplug are the files on the drive accessible/usable via normal Windows tools -- or does Pogoplug do something to the files to make them accessible proprietarily (is that word?) only via Pogoplug?

TIA
I have been using Pogoplug for a few years, and all indications are that my files are completely unchanged. I have no reason to believe that Pogo alters them in any way.
Old May 1, 2014, 5:49 pm

Programs: US CP, HH Gold
Originally Posted by cblaisd

TIA
I queried Pogoplug support and they stated that the device just writes to the attached disk in its native file format, the supported ones being NTFS, FAT32, HFS+ And EXT 2/3. So depending on how the drive was formatted prior to connecting it to the Pogoplug, you should be able to access it later from a different device.
Old May 1, 2014, 9:27 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Thanks much!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.