Wiki Posts
Search

New iPads in Carry-on?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2010, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

New iPads in Carry-on?

Hi all,

Has anyone flied overseas with new, unopened iPads? I'm flying out of LAX to Taipei in a month and would like to put 2 new iPads in my carry-on luggage. Are there any regulations on flying out of the US with items >$500? Please advise.

Thanks!
Old Sep 1, 2010, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Several reports on ft and elsewhere of iPads being stolen from checked bags for example:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-luggage.html
Old Sep 1, 2010, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
Originally Posted by angsta
Hi all,

Are there any regulations on flying out of the US with items >$500? Please advise.

Thanks!
2 iPads? Should be no problem.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 9:14 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
You can leave the US with pretty much whatever you want, nobody really cares. If you plan on bringing them back (but you are probably selling them over there) make sure you have proof you bought them here so they don't try to charge you duty on your return, or pre-register them before you leave.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your inputs. I bought the iPads as gifts to my friends. I just want to make sure that I can have them in my carry-on luggage... since they have been stole in checked luggages.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 7:27 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I have been asked three or four times by TSA to remove my iPad and place it in a bin by itself -- as if it were a laptop. I don't know if the "unopened" part is important but a heads up just in case. A couple of those times were LAX (T5 - DL).
Old Sep 4, 2010, 8:32 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I have been asked three or four times by TSA to remove my iPad and place it in a bin by itself -- as if it were a laptop. I don't know if the "unopened" part is important but a heads up just in case. A couple of those times were LAX (T5 - DL).
I was at LAX and they kept saying that. But when the iPad first came out wasn't there something on the TSA web site saying that iPads didn't need to be taken out? I just left mine in my backpack and no one said anything.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by cordelli
You can leave the US with pretty much whatever you want, nobody really cares. If you plan on bringing them back (but you are probably selling them over there) make sure you have proof you bought them here so they don't try to charge you duty on your return, or pre-register them before you leave.

Um....aren't there regulations that govern the export of consumer electronics? I know that Apple doesn't ship internationally from any U.S.-based store because you are expected to purchase your items in the country where you intend to use them (and pay applicable taxes/duties).

Another example: I know that when you buy from Dell, you are required to check a box acknowledging that the equipment is for use inside the USA, and that you are not going to attempt to export the merchandise in violation of export regulations.

(Oh, and btw, for those who DO carry foreign-made electronics overseas and bring them back to the USA, I completely agree about doing the Customs Pre-Registration to avoid having to pay duty on stuff you owned before you departed the USA.)
Old Sep 4, 2010, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by wiredboy10003
I was at LAX and they kept saying that. But when the iPad first came out wasn't there something on the TSA web site saying that iPads didn't need to be taken out? I just left mine in my backpack and no one said anything.
yes there was, except they left themselves an out by saying 'in general you should not need...'

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Apples...785893715.html

The Transportation Security Administration said Tuesday that in general you should not need to remove your iPad from your bag.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 8:29 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Originally Posted by pdxer
yes there was, except they left themselves an out by saying 'in general you should not need...'
In the same article, "Screeners may still ask you to remove your iPad if they can't get a clear image of the device." I was probably okay because it was the only non-clothes item in my bag and it was lying flat.

Still, it's interesting that they're preemptively asking you to take it out.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Espen, proof that a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. Your examples really do not have to do with this situation.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

A coworker flew to China with 2 iPads in his carry-on without any problems. He said as long as it's 1 or 2, and not a ridiculous amount, it should be fine.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by cordelli
Originally Posted by hfly
Espen, proof that a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. Your examples really do not have to do with this situation.
Well actually there are two things at play here.

First is export controls. It's unclear from the thread here, but if you're taking something out of the U.S. (whether you call it a gift to someone abroad, transporting it to someone abroad, or intend on selling it abroad) and don't intend to bring it back with you, you're exporting it. The U.S. Department of Commerce (as well as other agencies, such as State) have in place export controls over all sorts of items, including computers. I'm not an expert on it but it would seem that iPads are not on the list of export controlled items. My basic review seems to be that certain high-end, ruggedized specialized computers (like one the might guide say, a missile) are of concern. But most PCs are not in this realm (yet). Read a basic primer at http://www.bis.doc.gov/licensing/exportingbasics.htm

IIRC weren't there concerns some time ago about people taking U.S. GPS receivers (even though they were probably assembled abroad) with them abroad. That's kind of genesis of the thinking on whether you can take electronic toys out of the country.

Of course, all of this is, in my opinion, way beyond the knowledge base of any TSA screener. In fact, I could see the opposite happening. Some screener thinks you iPad or latest PC gadget is actually capable of controlling a ray-gun from Venus or something and you, traveler/Dr. Evil, are trying to sell it abroad to our "enemies." TSA screener over-reacts, you miss flight to China (or wherever) spending time while the TSA tries to call the Department of Commerce. Good luck.

Second, would be the company putting some sort of restrictions on the item (e.g. a checkbox question of some sort) saying you're not taking it abroad. I see three reasons for this. One, they don't want to be accused of selling the next ray-gun from Venus device to someone who then takes it out of the country (Company Exec - "We had no idea Dr. Evil was buying device for nefarious purposes, he checked this box on our web site"). Two, prevent claims their avoiding foreign restrictions on importing the product into a foreign country (Company Exec - "We had no idea Dr. Evil bought that Blackberry in the U.S. to take to Bahrain, he checked this box on our web site"). Three, reverse grey market. They don't want U.S. purchasers taking their product abroad and undercutting their foreign-based sellers (whether it be price differential, launch date, service/warranty issues) or avoiding VAT/taxes, etc. in the foreign country.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 1:15 pm

Many speculation about a simple question, with a simple answer :

- The TSA does not do customs. iPads are allowed as a carry on, so you can bring them. Millions of persons do so on a regular basis.

- Export customs in the US doesn't care for your 2 iPads.

- The only thing you need to check is the customs of the country you're arriving : according to http://www.worldtravelguide.net/taiwan/duty-free, you're allowed 20000 NTD, about 650 $. So two base model put you over that limit. They may or may not let it slide, and you may or may not choose to declare them or try your luck, I wont give you any advice sine I have no experience with Taiwan customs.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or make sure one is without packaging and therefore "used" which would lower its value and be under the limit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.