Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Sign in using an external account

Closed Thread

Old Jul 2, 10, 6:25 pm   #1

Buying a SIM card at a US airport?

I was wondering if I can buy a US SIM card at any of the following airports:

MIA, ATL, DFW, RDU (in that order)

I'd prefer one I can get a data plan with. Last time I researched this, only AT&T offered that option but that was a couple of years ago.

Any suggestions? I'm going to be in the above airports for about 24 hours and would love to get phone/internet access.

Thanks!
Old Jul 2, 10, 9:21 pm   #2
Moderator: TravelBuzz! & United MileagePlus

Programs: UA 1K/1.7MM; SPG Lifetime Plat; HY Plat.; HH Gold; Nat'l Executive.
Let me see if the readers of our Travel Technology forum can help. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jul 3, 10 at 8:35 am. Reason: correct typo
Old Jul 2, 10, 9:55 pm   #3

This is my first time replying to a post here I am usually just a reader Anyway, unlike International countries US airports don't have wireless providers in airports. I work for a wireless company & have many International customers (not sure if your flying in Internationally) that look for SIM Cards @ the airport. T-Mobile & AT&T can provide you a SIM Card It's easier to activate a FlexPay Monthly Plan via the internet @ tmo.com & have the sim shipped to the US address you will be staying at. You can get unlimited talk, text & web @ tmo w/out a contract of course for 79.99+tax or if you don't need ulimited calls & text get a lower plan for less with unlimited web. Cancel the service before you leave the US & your done. Yes, I work for T-Mobile or you can have a friend, family member Activate the service for you & they can ship you the SIM Card I hope this helps.
Old Jul 2, 10, 9:57 pm   #4

If you are looking for a SIM card in the US you have two primary carriers to choice from AT&T and T-Mobile.

AT&T has better service and T-Mobile is cheaper.

Since you are asking about data service, 3G service is probably important to you.
T-Mobile: 1700/2100 MHz
AT&T: 1900 MHz

If you have a European phone, it is probably 1900 so you'll need at&t to get 3G.

In order to get the best price you are going to want to get service directly from AT&T and I doubt they have any stores at any airport you mentioned.

Your best bet is to walk into any AT&T store. Since you already have a phone, you can sign up for a contract plan with a 0 month term. Just cancel anytime and your current billing period will be prorated.

Last edited by ClimbGuy; Jul 2, 10 at 10:02 pm.
Old Jul 3, 10, 3:53 am   #5

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton Gold
Airport Wireless has stores in several of the airports you mentioned. I bought a U.S simcard at one of their stores which had a SIM from "o2 Wireless". The card worked well, with no contract only top-up cards, but not needing it for data use, only voice, I can't reply to it's data availability. Good rates for calls, including internationally. Website for o2 Wireless is: www.o2wirelessservice.com

Website for Airport Wireless is: www.airportwireless.com

Their website has a listing of which U.S. airports have their stores and in which terminals they're located. You can email them your questions about a sim with data capabilities.

bj-21.
Old Jul 3, 10, 5:07 am   #6

I never knew Airport Wireless sold SIM cards, I thought they were just cases, chargers, ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack-21 View Post
Airport Wireless has stores in several of the airports you mentioned. I bought a U.S simcard at one of their stores which had a SIM from "o2 Wireless". The card worked well, with no contract only top-up cards, but not needing it for data use, only voice, I can't reply to it's data availability. Good rates for calls, including internationally. Website for o2 Wireless is: www.o2wirelessservice.com

Website for Airport Wireless is: www.airportwireless.com

Their website has a listing of which U.S. airports have their stores and in which terminals they're located. You can email them your questions about a sim with data capabilities.

bj-21.
Old Jul 3, 10, 4:25 pm   #7

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClimbGuy View Post
I never knew Airport Wireless sold SIM cards, I thought they were just cases, chargers, ect.
I was searching for a SIM for a trip to Florida last September, and since my cellphone carrier up here didn't offer U.S. roaming on the prepaid plan I had, I found Airport Wireless on an internet search, and emailed them at their EWR location asking if they had simcards at their stores. Manager answered next day that they had the o2 SIM, and as I needed one as soon as I got to Fla., I was able to pick up one at their store at EWR during a plane change. Worked fine when I activated it from the hotel room upon arrival. The sim cost $19.99 but would've been less had I had bought it from the o2 website or waited and got it at a Bestbuy in Fla., which carries their SIMS and topup cards in most of their stores, but time was short so I bought it at the airport.

bj-21.
Old Jul 3, 10, 6:13 pm   #8

So it sounds like AT&T and T-Mobile don't have airport outlets?
Old Jul 4, 10, 8:24 am   #9
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 1MM, UA Something or other under the new system MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7B367 Safari/531.21.10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by giblet
So it sounds like AT&T and T-Mobile don't have airport outlets?
No. Prepaid SIMs are much less common in the US for a variety of reasons. You can get them as noted above but they are a little harder to find than in the rest of the world.
Old Jul 4, 10, 11:00 pm   #10

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I will wait until I arrive in the US and see if I can go to an actual T-Mobile or AT&T store.
Old Jul 5, 10, 9:57 pm   #11

Does o2 wireless use the tmo or at&t network?
Old Jun 14, 14, 6:07 pm   #12

Programs: QF NZ
Not at the airport... But you can get Redpocket SIM cards off ebay very cheaply. When I ordered mine it took about a week to come in the post from the US. Redpocket use the ATT network. From memory, you can buy credit online using an Australian credit card (but _not_ when using your Australian credit card via paypal).
Old Jun 14, 14, 6:13 pm   #13

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Global Entry, Hertz PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBrad View Post
Not at the airport... But you can get Redpocket SIM cards off ebay very cheaply. When I ordered mine it took about a week to come in the post from the US. Redpocket use the ATT network. From memory, you can buy credit online using an Australian credit card (but _not_ when using your Australian credit card via paypal).
You should have waited a month, then you could have added to a thread whose last post was 4 years ago !

Closed Thread