Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

[consolidated] Prepaid SIM cards outside USA

[consolidated] Prepaid SIM cards outside USA

Old Sep 19, 2011, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by wpj
I put together some instructions in this link, you need a credit card to re-fill online. my canadian card with USA zip code worked fine.
http://wpjrnl.com/2010/11/07/activat...3g-for-iphone/
Just came back and I'm happy to say everything worked just fine. You don't even need a US credit card to recharge your GoPhone SIM (worked flawlessly with my VISA issued in the Czech rep.). For a few dollars you get a fully working US number with unlimited calling/SMS.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 4:47 am

Does anyone have a recommendation for South korea or Japan. I would like to see if there are providers with prepaid plans as I will be using my ipad alot during my travels.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 1:19 pm

Good to know that it went seamless for you. Yeah, I believe you only needed a US issues credit card to topup online. You are correct, getting a local US number has become easy and quite cheap these days.

Originally Posted by GeorgeWhite
Just came back and I'm happy to say everything worked just fine. You don't even need a US credit card to recharge your GoPhone SIM (worked flawlessly with my VISA issued in the Czech rep.). For a few dollars you get a fully working US number with unlimited calling/SMS.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:37 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jasonz9238
Does anyone have a recommendation for South korea or Japan. I would like to see if there are providers with prepaid plans as I will be using my ipad alot during my travels.
For Japan, I found that buying a 3 Hong Kong sim (ask them which one will roam to Japan) will allow you to get unlimited data in a bunch of 3 countries, including Japan. This was an EXCELLENT solution, and worked perfectly, as there are no domestic unlimited data options in JP that I could find.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Shadownite
Im still looking for a Data Sim for a 2 week multi-country european trip. Only need the SIM as I have a MiFi device.
Please share what you have found out. I am in the same boat: 10-day trip to 3 countries, and just bought a Novatel 2352 MiFi, hoping to buy a single SIM card that would cover the trip. So far, the best rate I have seen is abroadband's 0.59 euro/MB, around $0.80/MB. That's fine, but as someone else pointed out, AT&T now offers rates of, e.g., 275MB for $99. That's only $0.36/MB. And, I can switch to the AT&T's DataPro 4GB plan, which allows my iPhone to act a personal hotspot. The DataPro 4GB plan would cost an extra $20/month, and can be deactivated upon return to the US. It seems to me that I'd be much better off using my iPhone instead of a MiFi device. Am I wrong?

Thanks,
Reza
Old Sep 25, 2011, 5:11 pm

Programs: MVP Gold, Platinum Medallion, Ambassador Elite
Ireland

Hey all,

Will be in Ireland at the end of October for about 5 days.

I saw the post in this thread listing prepaid providers in Ireland, but it is over a year old now -- was wondering if things have changed?

Three Ireland looks like a provider of choice for mobile data (that's all I will really need for my HTC Sensation, unlocked)

Can I pick up a SIM (I am a US Citizen) at the Dublin Airport?

Can I still pay in cash?

I will need about 1GB of data, is Vodafone a better choice?

Thanks!
Old Sep 25, 2011, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by wifiguru
Hey all,

Will be in Ireland at the end of October for about 5 days.

I saw the post in this thread listing prepaid providers in Ireland, but it is over a year old now -- was wondering if things have changed?

Three Ireland looks like a provider of choice for mobile data (that's all I will really need for my HTC Sensation, unlocked)

Can I pick up a SIM (I am a US Citizen) at the Dublin Airport?

Can I still pay in cash?

I will need about 1GB of data, is Vodafone a better choice?

Thanks!
We just got back from Ireland. I wasn't able to find a data (micro) SIM card at the Dublin airport, nor at Heathrow or the Arlanda airport in Stockholm. In all 3 cases, we had to go into the city and visit a store that is operated by a top tier carrier, or at least is a major reseller for them, to get the SIM cards. If you need a regular SIM card rather than a micro SIM card, you may have better luck.

In Ireland, we got Meteor SIM cards, as recommended by several posts on various forums. We were quite happy with the speed, coverage, and the price. I think it was something like 20 Euros. Yes, you can pay cash, and they don't ask for residence info, etc.

Many of these stores close at 6pm, and are hard to find in smaller towns. So you have to find your way into the city in time. And getting the SIM card, programming it, etc. might take 15-30 minutes in the store. But well worth it!

Reza
Old Sep 25, 2011, 7:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...-heathrow.html

That thread lists several options for purchasing SIMs in LHR. Not sure if they all have Micro SIMs or not.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 8:35 am

UK Prepaid SIM with Blackberry functionality?

Hi friends,

I am looking for suggestions for a PREPAID Sim card for use in the UK which will have BLACKBERRY email and if possible BBM functionality as well.

Please let me know if any of the companies offer this feature.

Thanks,
wonderfultravels
Old Sep 30, 2011, 4:53 am

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by wonderfultravels
Hi friends,

I am looking for suggestions for a PREPAID Sim card for use in the UK which will have BLACKBERRY email and if possible BBM functionality as well.

Please let me know if any of the companies offer this feature.

Thanks,
wonderfultravels
I believe o2 and orange definaltey offer this. Not sure about t-mobile and 3. See links below:

O2 - Up to 500 UK texts, 500MB UK data plus BlackBerry email and unlimited Wi-Fi when you top-up 15 a month http://shop.o2.co.uk/tariffs/Pay_and_Go

Vodafone - http://www.vodafone.co.uk/brands/bla...pay-as-you-go/

Giffgaff will be introducing this late this year early next year, depending on when you need it for.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 10:09 am

Thanks! I think I will ask them to try Vodafone

wonderfultravels
Old Oct 4, 2011, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Does anyone know prices/where to buy an Icelandic SIM for data while traveling in Iceland for a couple weeks? Which operator(s) has the best rates?

Thanks!
I came across this query when I was researching a related topic, hence the delayed response.

Based on my research, Siminn is your best bet. For a trip to Iceland last month, I picked up a prepaid data microsim for my iPhone 4 which gave me 4 GB for 2000 ISK (~$17 when I went). Superb 3G coverage throughout the island, only dropping to GPRS in the most remote of locations. No problems tethering with MiWi.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 9:30 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Anyone have any ideas for getting a local micro SIM for data on an iPad in Ukraine?
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Platinum
In the arrivals area at London Heathrow there are prepaid sim card vending machines. I made the mistake of getting the data only sim for vodafone. Apparently it is only for tablets and will not work on phones for data only.

There is a vodafone store at Paddington Station that will sell the proper sim card that allows data and voice for 10 pounds.

When in Germany, you can go to a T-mobile store and get an Xtra prepaid card. It costs 10 Euros and gives you 10 Euros credit. Internet is unlimited at 1 Euro a day IIRC. Roaming is not cheap for the Xtra card.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I'm back from Croatia and have the SIM that Infomofo kindly sent me, if anyone can use it. I think it has value through end of October now, but validity probably beyond that. T-mobile sim.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.