Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

[consolidated] Prepaid SIM cards outside USA

[consolidated] Prepaid SIM cards outside USA

Old Apr 21, 2011, 7:10 pm

I saw no mention of this regarding Singapore but Singtel prepaid sim cards (15 dollars paid but 18 dollars value) offers a 1GB data for 7 dollars valid for a week from time of purchase.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 9:00 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Sea-Wolf
It's a shame it's on T-Mobile and so I won't be able to use 3G on my iPhone, but it's still heaps better value than paying $20 per 100mb on AT&T, plus looking at Simple Mobile's website it all seems very easy. Their activation form doesn't even require you to enter an address unless you want to!
AT&T dropped their data prices about a week ago. New prices are:

10MB - $5.00
100MB - $15.00
500MB - $25.00

As in the past, these are good for 30 days, and unused data will roll over if ANY data plan is added before expiration (i.e., you can add the $5.00 plan to extend the useful life of any data balance). For example, you can buy the 500MB initally and if you use only 150MB in a month, then renew on the $5.00 plan... Only limit is that you can't add a plan that would have your balance exceed 1.5GB.

Calls are 10 cents/minute by default, and there are other voice plans available like a $2/day unlimited calling plan.

SIMs are relatively available on eBay or in any AT&T store (which are plentiful in most cities).

I haven't checked into this, but they now offer prepaid smartphone plans. On the surface, they appear to be identical to the regular plans, but don't offer pay-per-use data (which makes sense since smartphones could eat up a prepaid balance very quickly if you exceed the data buckets). I don't know if they will now explicitly allow the iPhone but they do not sell Android-based prepaid phones on their website.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 1:04 am

Programs: FB Plat, CX Diamond, TK Elite *G, EK Gold, EY Silv, Amex Cent, R&C 5C, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis PC
Originally Posted by High Technology
AT&T dropped their data prices about a week ago. New prices are:

10MB - $5.00
100MB - $15.00
500MB - $25.00
Wow! That is great news!!!
Old Apr 25, 2011, 7:04 pm
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Saw info on DROAM, though no personal experience.

Positive experience here. Also here.

I have no financial interest in this company and would be really interested to hear any experiences, positive or negative.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 9:53 am

Pre-paid Sim's for data, listed by country

Not sure how accurate this may be but there is lots of detail.

(it was likely posted somewhere but I did not see it)

http://paygsimwithdata.wikia.com/wik...with_data_Wiki
Old May 2, 2011, 9:15 am

Philippines

brands? Globe, SMART and SunCellular

where to buy SIM and topup? supermarkets, malls, kiosks, 7-11, Ministop (convenience store)

GLOBE:

Unlimited data plan for 1 day - 50PHP
Unlimited data plan for 5 days - 220PHP
Unlimited data plan for 30 days - 999PHP

http://site.globe.com.ph/mobile_inte...AACT6C5EAAAAce

SMART:

1 day - 50 PHP
2 days-100 PHP
5 days-200 PHP

http://smart.com.ph/bro/services/unlisurf.htm

SunCellular:

7 days - 250 PHP
3 days - 100 PHP
1 day - 50 PHP

http://www.suncellular.com.ph/broadband_prepaid.php
Old May 2, 2011, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Welcome to FT tdh1023 ... Great contribution for your first post!!
Old May 2, 2011, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by fredsxb
Tim Brasil:

They sell prepaid cards for R$ 10 (around US$ 5), and you can buy additional credits in grocery stores by increments of R$ 6. Data connections are charged R$ 0.50 per day for unlimited usage, though speed is capped if you use more than 10 Mb in 24 hours or 300 Mb in 30 days. Voice call prices are kind of hard to understand but basically if you call another Tim number or make a local call to a landline, you will be charged R$ 0.25 per call no matter how long you stay on the line. Calls to other carriers are more expensive and charged by the minute (R$ 1.39 per minute if I got that right).
Using a jailbroken iPhone with MyWi works with the aforementioned plan and there are no APN settings to tweak. Since Tim won't sell microsim cards under that plan, you'd better bring a sim card cutter along if you plan on using an unsimlocked iPhone 4.
You may also want to check the sim card you're buying as some don't allow 3G connectivity. Only Tim owned stores seem to be selling those. Resellers don't !

Please also note that you'll need a CPF number to buy a sim card (so you might ask a Brazilian friend to go to the store with you)!
Thanks for the info.

What is the CPF number? Can I buy a SIM card before travelling to Brazil? I am in US
Old May 2, 2011, 11:12 pm

Programs: FB Plat, CX Diamond, TK Elite *G, EK Gold, EY Silv, Amex Cent, R&C 5C, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis PC
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Thanks for the info.

What is the CPF number? Can I buy a SIM card before travelling to Brazil? I am in US
A CPF number is more or less the equivalent of a social security number as in only Brazilian residents & citizens have one.
Not sure how you could get a SIM before travelling but it should be fairly easy for you to purchase one once you're in Brazil (provided you have a friend with a valid CPF number)...
Old May 3, 2011, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by fredsxb
A CPF number is more or less the equivalent of a social security number as in only Brazilian residents & citizens have one.
Not sure how you could get a SIM before travelling but it should be fairly easy for you to purchase one once you're in Brazil (provided you have a friend with a valid CPF number)...
Unfortunately do not know anybody in Brazil. Any other options?
Old May 5, 2011, 9:14 am

Programs: HH Gold, Delta Gold
Does anyone have any experience with DualGlobalMobile.com? They are advertised in Sky Mall magazine.

http://www.dualglobalmobile.com/1.html

http://www.skymall.com/shopping/deta...10261#moreinfo
Old May 5, 2011, 12:36 pm

I have posted about the new deal from Meteor.ie Ireland in the 'How much is a European SIM card, exactly? ' thread which allows free incoming calls while roaming anywhere in the EU.

I have added this here as I've just discovered that data roaming will now cost €0.99 per MB from May 18th.

This has to be one of the best deals for anyone coming to Europe as it will work in any EU country.

The other post is here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16331552-post642.html

Last edited by chalkitdown; May 5, 2011 at 12:43 pm
Old May 14, 2011, 9:20 am

Programs: Miles & Bonus *S
Pre-paid data sims in Belgium

In Belgium, there's 3 major celluar providers (Mobistar, Proximus and Base), however all their data sims are ridiculously expensive (expect to pay around €25 per month for 500MB mobile data). There is however a cheaper way: a smaller cellular provider called Mobile Vikings (they use the network infrastructure Base uses) (www.mobilevikings.com) offers the following data only bundle:

- 2GB mobile data, valid for one month, only in Belgium. Costs €15 the first time (€12 is used for your first 2GB data bundle), further recharges cost €12 per 2GB bundle.

Donwsides :
- sim-cards can't be bought in a shop, they can only be ordered through the site
-the 3G network doesn't cover the whole country (at the moment, it covers all major cities and the coast), but then neither do the other providers
Old May 22, 2011, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Platinum
Just returned from Hong Kong. Used the prepaid SIM from 3. Purchased the 198 HKD SIM for ipad and used it on a Droid Incredible 2. You need to set the APN in order to get data access. On the instructions it says to add http:// for the APN but do not include it on the phone. This SIM is able to roam but it will eat up the value of the SIM fast. There is a option for prepaid roaming which is worth it and cheaper than purchasing a SIM in Macau.

In Macau there are vending machines for 3 Macau at the ferry terminal and they sell a 100 HKD/MOP SIM card for 24 hour of unlimited data. If you use the unlimited roaming for 3 HK, the time restarts at midnight so if you enable the unlimited data at 9 PM, you will only have 3 hours until the next deduction.
Old May 23, 2011, 10:56 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3.2MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Switzerland query / UK advice

We will be in Switzerland traveling from US next month. We expect to use hotel internet service for iPad, 2 iPhone 3GSs, 2 iPhone 1s, and laptops. We may get an occasional call from USA. I have two older 4 band GSM phones that we would like to unlock and use for calls within Switzerland (communications between members of party, restaurant reservations etc.). Any recommendations? Things to avoid?

UK - Back when our cell phones were not GSM, we used Adam Phones in UK for short term cell phone hire several times. They were reasonably priced and had very good customer service. However, if you have an unlocked GSM phone I suspect you can do better with a local SIM card.

PM me if you would like a referral for Hilton American Express, Starwood SPG American Express, BankDirect, or TD Ameritrade. I will need your name and regular email address.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.