Wiki Posts
Search

[consolidated] Prepaid SIM cards outside USA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2010, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Malaysia - DiGi

On my recent short trip to KUL, the hotel internet price was MR64 per day, while I was able to get a SIM card for my phone for RMR8.50, and 7 days internet was available for RM15.

DiGi

Where to buy

Digi do not appear to have a presence at the airport in KUL. I got a SIM card from the DiGi branded store in Sentral at the airport train station. This is a small shop by the main moving stairs (near McDonalds).

They required my passport to register the SIM. The cost was RM8.5 (about €2, US$2.50), and this had RM5 credit pre-loaded.

Where to top-up

The shop did a transfer of RM20 from a master phone to mine as part of the overall purchase. The paperwork with the phone states Reload coupons are available at many convenient locations nationwide including dealers' outlets, selected ATMs, pharmacies, department stores, petrol stations and convenience stores. I did not need a further top-up for my trip.

Pricing

I used a short code to purchase the 7 days internet - I dialled *116# and the RM15 was debited.

There is a daily price for broadband of RM5 (about US$1.40).

More details here

APN

The APN was not set as standard, and I configured diginet.

Speed/VoIP

I found the speed OK for email, but big downloads and heavy browsing was slow. DiGi allows SIP/VoIP traffic, but the bandwidth was not good enough for a call when I tried.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 9:25 pm

Programs: Accor Platinum, Marriott
awpoon,

I am going to use a Vodafone CallYa Open End Sim card in Germany later this year. I am interested in your reference to settting it to English when you first get the SIM. Do you have any instructions on how to do this?
Also do you know if it possible to activate the Sim card before arrival in Germany. For example via the German Vodafone website.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Staying at the Marriott in Sydney @ Hyde Park. They want $25 per day for the hotel internet. Walked over to the Testra near the hotel, and purchased a 3gb micro-sim for my iPad, costing $30. Much better deal!

Thanks to FT for the suggestion about purchasing the card!
Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Pierre48
awpoon,

I am going to use a Vodafone CallYa Open End Sim card in Germany later this year. I am interested in your reference to settting it to English when you first get the SIM. Do you have any instructions on how to do this?
Also do you know if it possible to activate the Sim card before arrival in Germany. For example via the German Vodafone website.
Pierre48,

It has been a while, but I think I selected English after registering my phone# on the Vodafone website. When you get the SIM card at a Vodafone store, the store associates can also set it up for you. I am not sure you can buy or activate a SIM card outside Germany; you may want to investigate that possibility.

To register your phone# on the Vodafone website, go to www.vodafone.de. In the top right corner, there is a pulldown menu "Anmelden bei MeinVodafone", select "Jetzt registrieren". Once you are in the registration page, select "Ich bin Vodafone Mobilfunk-Kunde", enter your phone ("handy") number, then the security code shown on that page.

After you have access to your phone account, you can change language by selecting:

Kontostand & Rechnung -> Mein Kontostand -> Sprache -> Englisch
Old Oct 21, 2010, 5:49 pm

Programs: Accor Platinum, Marriott
awpoon,

Thanks so much for that. I have a German Vodaphone SIM card already so I may try to register it online before I arrive in Germany. If that doesn't work I will register the SIM in Berlin.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 12:28 pm

According to this thread on boards.ie, using the live.vodafone.com APN will charge roaming data at a max of 99c per day up to 50MB. This 99c cost is referenced also in the European SIM thread.
Having had some of the best data roaming deals anywhere, Vodafone Ireland are tightening things up (I suppose partly because of people in threads like this).

http://www.vodafone.ie/aboutus/notif...5177468#9thOct

Basically instead of 50MB for 99c you get this for €2.99 in the EU and get 10MB for €2.99 or €4.99 day in other places. I was in South Africa this year and so I would now pay at least 5 times as much (probably the 10Mb would have done for some phone email).
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:52 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR

Last edited by Global_Hi_Flyer; Nov 7, 2010 at 7:17 pm Reason: Per request from thread starter.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 10:08 am

Programs: AA DL UA SU
.... Dup ......
Old Nov 3, 2010, 10:10 am

Vinaphone 3G - HoChiMinhCity Vietnam

This is one of the 2 major Vietnamese mobile telecoms. They are an
iPhone service provider. The other is Viettel.

Getting the SIM

I walked into the main office downtown which is about 100m from the IC Saigon hotel and bought a SIM with a small amount for voice and 1G of data for approx 157,000 VD (approx $8). Separately, the SIM card was 57,000 and internet for 1G of data for 7 days was 80,000.

They did ask me for my passport to register the SIM. The english speaking rep did the activation and loading for me.

Credit and top-up

Card is good for 3 months. Top-up is done with scratch card and entering the code from the phone.

Getting Data Enabled

It takes about 5 minutes for the SIM card to be activated and internet enabled.

APN details

APN m3-world
user mms
password mms

Used this config sucessfully on my mifi 2372.

Micro SIM

[/QUOTE]
Old Nov 3, 2010, 10:24 am

Orange 3G+ Jordan

Orange Jordan 3G Plus

This is the major mobile telecom in Jordan. They provide a fast version of 3G called 3G Plus. Their rates are not cheap. But it was cheaper than what the IC in Amman charges.

Getting the SIM

I walked into one of the telecom shops displaying the Orange logo in downtown Amman around the IC and Hyatt hotels. The SIM card alone was about 20 JD. Added the internet data plan for 1G for about 15 JD.

No passport was required to register the SIM.

Credit and top-up

Card is good for 3 months. Top-up is done by buying a scratch card for 15JD and entering the code from the phone.

Getting Data Enabled

It takes about 5 minutes for the SIM card to be activated and internet enabled.

APN details

APN www.orange.jo
user net
password net

Used this config sucessfully on my mifi 2372. Was able to access the internet and use skype (on my computer and iphone separately)

Micro SIM

[/QUOTE]
Old Nov 4, 2010, 7:50 am
Suspended

prepaid sim

I went to italy last month and was charge a very huge international calling rates, I was shocked with my bill which is $860. I was told that TIM sim is no longer in the market and called several stores and they said that due to security restriction in italy that they are not selling it anymore. Last year I have used telestial and it worked just fine but it only expires after a month or so. I was never told that my load will be gone as well. I should have bought a TIM sim. I searched on the web and I found out that global sim card is available with intouchsmartcards. Why at&t and tmobile have not thought of that?
Old Nov 4, 2010, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Does anybody have a recommendation of a pre-paid data micro-sim? I'll be doing a MR to LHR in two weeks, and would like to avoid the outrageous costs from AT&T for their data plan.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 8:08 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by smartfoxxy
I went to italy last month and was charge a very huge international calling rates, I was shocked with my bill which is $860. I was told that TIM sim is no longer in the market and called several stores and they said that due to security restriction in italy that they are not selling it anymore. Last year I have used telestial and it worked just fine but it only expires after a month or so. I was never told that my load will be gone as well. I should have bought a TIM sim. I searched on the web and I found out that global sim card is available with intouchsmartcards. Why at&t and tmobile have not thought of that?
I just bought a TIM SIM through telestial 3 weeks ago because I wanted something preactivated when I got to Rome. There was a preactivation process, but all went well, and I was able to turn on the data usage immediately.

Buying the SIM through Telestial was very expensive, but it was still cheaper than 3 days of internet service in the hotel.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Does anybody have a recommendation of a pre-paid data micro-sim? I'll be doing a MR to LHR in two weeks, and would like to avoid the outrageous costs from AT&T for their data plan.
Check out the entry for the UK here. The T-Mobile option was cheapest over the summer.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aidanc
Check out the entry for the UK here. The T-Mobile option was cheapest over the summer.
Thanks for the link! Not sure why it was not appearing when I did a search.. Do you know if the O2 or T-Mobile sim cards require a passport to register? I picked up a Vodafone sim in Sydney, and it would not work due to the fact that I did not have an Australian passport. I had to visit Telstra, where they gave me a card that would work..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.