[consolidated] Prepaid SIM cards outside USA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[consolidated] Prepaid SIM cards outside USA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:03 pm

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
I've been using the h20 wireless prepaid for a couple of years now (actually it's the o2 wireless original simcard, but now h2o wireless for topups and their sim if needed, as it's the same Locus Communications) and on our trips to the States in the past it's been relatively easy to get the topup cards at BestBuy Mobility or Dollar General or other stores. Last trip to FLL in February I spent a few hours driving around the area (including the BestBuy Mobility at the Broward Mall where I bought the original sim) and no one had any of the topup cards. None of the stores listed from their website, for the area that I tried, had them, and some of the stores had not even heard of h20 wireless service. Same in Buffalo, N.Y. on a day trip there last year...took a bit of searching until I found a store that had the topups.

Since they don't accept Canadian CC's I can't topup online or by phone, so when this 90 day topup finally runs out I'll be switching to another carrier down there, one whose topup cards are more freely available. h20 has good rates and coverage, but the hassle, for me, of getting the topups when needed, just isn't worth it.

bj-21.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 1:23 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Thailand

Did a light bit of web searching and searching of this thread and not sure I understand what would be required for my situation. I am currently a verizon customer, and thus don't have a GSM phone. Assuming it is not terribly expensive, I am interested in securing some type of data plan for our netbook while we are in Koh Samui and Khao Lak next month. Could I get a USB mobile broadband card, perhaps this one from ebay and then get a data SIM card when we transit BKK? One of the posts in this thread(in reference to getting one for a phone) indicate that data SIMs 'are something else and really have no advantage over getting a 1-2-call SIM and enabling EDGE/GPRS'. Anyone able to explain this one to me.

Forgive me in advance if this should be obvious to me.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 6:00 am

Programs: AA PLATINUM
anyone had experience with uk three data plans?
Old Mar 24, 2012, 1:01 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by rookiecz
I used it this past summer. It was simply a matter of getting a SIM from a Three store; It was a breeze.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA PLATINUM
I will be 5 days in NRT 2 in HKG and 14 in China, what iPad data plan would be the best for this?
Old Mar 25, 2012, 8:31 am

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by rookiecz
Go for giffgaff, cheaper!
Old Mar 25, 2012, 9:07 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Gold, LH Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hks
I will be traveling to US and Canada for 1 weeks, and I am looking for pre-paid sim card for my unlocked iphone4 and tethering the data plan to my ipad. I prefer unlimited data access, and I expect to use less than 30 minutes of talk time. What plan will be the best for me? I will first arrive SFO, then drive to vancouver.
I'm doing the same trip early summer and with the same requirement - elsewhere, I was advised H2O - what will/did you decide upon?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by sgrech
I only want data! How much was the SIM and the data cost?

Thanks
Simon
I recently switched to T-Mobile. $2 per day includes data, where as AT&T was $2 per day with data on top.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:23 am

Programs: FB Plat, CX Diamond, TK Elite *G, EK Gold, EY Silv, Amex Cent, R&C 5C, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis PC
I've just purchased a beeline sim card for Moscow on eBay. The seller said I had to activate the card by dialing: *101*1111# before I get to Russia.

Any idea if I can do this while "roaming" in France? How come I have to do this before arriving in Russia? Does it usually take a long time for the activation to take effect?

Thanks for your help!
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:54 pm

Hi, I have no experience at all with foreign prepaid sims, but last time I used my Belgian sim abroad (in Ireland), it cost me about 4 times what I usually pay, 90% because of data. My mistake, of course, but as I'm going abroad again this summer, I'd like to get some info on prepaid sims, mostly what I need to do to have cheap and accessible data.

I have an unlocked Android phone, so that part is quite easy.

I'll mostly need it for data, and maybe calls to Belgium, but I don't think I'll actually call. So, data.

I'll spend 5 days in the UK (Manchester), 4 in the Netherlands (Amsterdam) and 2 in Denmark (Copenhagen). Which providers whould you recommend? In terms of reliability, speed and volume. Also, I'll do two Manchester trips in a little more than a month, so if the sim card doesn't expire after a month, It'd be better.

If I get this right, I just have to walk into a shop, get a prepaid sim, stick it into the phone, change the APN settings and I'm good, right?

Thanks for the advice, I'm a complete newbie as far as this is concerned.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 7:59 am

Prepaid SIM with data (US)

I'll be in the States for 2 weeks and would need a prepaid SIM with data for my unlocked iphone 4s. Is Straight Talk the only option?
Old Apr 4, 2012, 8:12 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ihawk98
I'll be in the States for 2 weeks and would need a prepaid SIM with data for my unlocked iphone 4s. Is Straight Talk the only option?
You can use an AT&T GoPhone SIM card as well (can be bought on eBay for $2-$4, I've used this seller several times). Their data add-on packages are $5/$15/$25 for 10Mb/100Mb/500Mb respectively. You could sign up for their $2/day plan which gives you unlimited voice and texts, and add-on the $25/500Mb plan which should be useful for your two week stay. Here are the rate plans: https://www.paygonline.com/websc/rat...ateplan_en.jsp
Old Apr 9, 2012, 5:58 pm

Thailand - True

So in certain airports in Thailand (Chiang Mai and Phuket I think), True give out free sim cards (and now micro sim cards). They come with free 10M data. I found using it on Edge for checking email, whatsapp, etc and a bit of light (slow) web browsing I was able to get about 4 - 5 days usage. You also get 7 baht call credit, but that goes very quickly.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 4:25 pm
gof

Programs: UA 2P, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Gold
Ok, add one here for someone NOT looking for a ton of data, and not even a ton of minutes.

Need a backup sim for a couple trips that will include UK, Germany, Netherlands. I'd like about 100 minutes BUT would like the card to last many months (since I really only use it a minute or two at a time to connect with work while traveling and away from WiFi). So, is there a good card that I can buy while in Europe (I'm in the UK right now actually, but can get it in Germany as well)?

My Sprint SIM (I've got a Touch Pro2, on a SERO plan ), which I've used in the past, keeps getting messed up and while I'm able to receive calls, it's not working most of the time to make calls.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 4:48 pm
gof

Programs: UA 2P, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Gold
Ok, add one here for someone NOT looking for a ton of data, and not even a ton of minutes.

Need a backup sim for a couple trips that will include UK, Germany, Netherlands. I'd like about 100 minutes BUT would like the card to last many months (since I really only use it a minute or two at a time to connect with work while traveling and away from WiFi). So, is there a good card that I can buy while in Europe (I'm in the UK right now actually, but can get it in Germany as well)?

My Sprint SIM (I've got a Touch Pro2, on a SERO plan ), which I've used in the past, keeps getting messed up and while I'm able to receive calls, it's not working most of the time to make calls.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.