Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

[consolidated] Prepaid SIM cards outside USA

[consolidated] Prepaid SIM cards outside USA

Old Sep 1, 2011, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by kimmykimmy
I am a frequent traveler and I have found out how to make roaming cellular
calls from overseas at a much less expensive rate.and cheapest call rates for quad band GSM
phones. The SmartFree Quattro international SIM card works everywhere I
travel and I can use it for data too..
If this is the cheapest you have found, you haven't really looked too hard. looks more like spam to me, posted in multiple forums.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 8:15 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Hi everyone,

Newbie international traveller (my first trip overseas!) next week to London.

I have TMobile here in the US and I'm thinking having a phone with data in my pocket while in London would be a great idea in terms of a resource, maps and things like that.

Thoughts on my options to make this happen without breaking the bank?
Old Sep 5, 2011, 12:37 am

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BrianInLA
Hi everyone,

Newbie international traveller (my first trip overseas!) next week to London.

I have TMobile here in the US and I'm thinking having a phone with data in my pocket while in London would be a great idea in terms of a resource, maps and things like that.

Thoughts on my options to make this happen without breaking the bank?
Giffgaff.... 10 for unlimited texts, data and 250 mins... Only prob being that you can't easily pick up a sim from a shop. If you pm me, I am happy to put one in post for you (to US address or to your hotel)! You need to have am unlocked phone for that, and the giffgaff site will help with that too (has a range of reviews of different co's etc). Pm me if you want more info....
Old Sep 12, 2011, 5:02 am

Programs: UA Gold, AA EXP, Starwood Gold
Im still looking for a Data Sim for a 2 week multi-country european trip. Only need the SIM as I have a MiFi device.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 5:59 am

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Shadownite
Im still looking for a Data Sim for a 2 week multi-country european trip. Only need the SIM as I have a MiFi device.
Not sure if there is a one size fits all sim for Europe... Data roaming costs are really quite large 4MB or more...
Old Sep 12, 2011, 6:41 am

Any suggestions for Uruguay?
Old Sep 12, 2011, 7:39 am

Programs: UA Gold, AA EXP, Starwood Gold
How about just for Switzerland, Italy and France?
Old Sep 12, 2011, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
cross border roaming

Originally Posted by Jamjaw
Not sure if there is a one size fits all sim for Europe... Data roaming costs are really quite large 4MB or more...
yeah, cross border roaming can be $$, maybe xcom would offer just a sim? Then you'd be in something like 7-10$ a day for unlimited. Searoam will give you data roaming in all of europe for .80 euro/MB, but that gets pretty $$ with a lot of use.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/535.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/13.0.782.220 Safari/535.1)

well having a global SIM card have so many advantages. you'll just have one SIM card that you can use in the European Union or in more than 180 countries world wide. So you have just one number wherever you're travelling, making it easy for your friends and family to contact you.So this is really convenient for frequent travelers like me. you can get global SIM cards at www.intouchsmartcards.com
Old Sep 15, 2011, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by kimmykimmy
you can get global SIM cards at www.intouchsmartcards.com
Of the 9 posts you've made on FT to date, every single one has mentioned this company. What exactly is your relationship with this company?
Old Sep 15, 2011, 8:32 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by acunningham
Of the 9 posts you've made on FT to date, every single one has mentioned this company. What exactly is your relationship with this company?
Scarrier yet is that the site asks you for your credit card's CVV number without security. You don't enter an https environment until after you have given them both your CVV and date of birth. That's a serious security breach.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 8:25 am

For european visitors i would suggest a german BLAU or SIMYO prepaidsim.

5 EUR (~$ 6.90) for 7 days/50 Meg (whatever is reached first) all over the european union, that's a good deal.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 9:53 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by kexbox
For european visitors i would suggest a german BLAU or SIMYO prepaidsim.

5 EUR (~$ 6.90) for 7 days/50 Meg (whatever is reached first) all over the european union, that's a good deal.
A few more details or perhaps a link (or two)? For example, can you get a recharge on the data at the same rate ($1.50/10 megs)? That's a pretty good deal! Are there restrictions on how that data can be used (Skype)? Can they be purchased ahead of time (from the US)? Do they require activation involving a difficult-to-understand foreign-language website?

Thanks-
Old Sep 18, 2011, 12:08 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
SIM card for Italy

Will be in Italy for 1 month. expect light voice usage, no data. What SIM card would be best. Will be in various cities of Italy. Can it be bought at FCO?
Thanks
Old Sep 18, 2011, 2:23 am

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
A few more details or perhaps a link (or two)? For example, can you get a recharge on the data at the same rate ($1.50/10 megs)? That's a pretty good deal! Are there restrictions on how that data can be used (Skype)? Can they be purchased ahead of time (from the US)? Do they require activation involving a difficult-to-understand foreign-language website?

Thanks-
Google is your friend:

http://www.blau.de/

http://www.simyo.de/tarif/ausland-tarifoptionen.html

all in german though

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.