Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] VPN Provider Recommendations

[Consolidated] VPN Provider Recommendations

Old Jan 19, 2011, 6:18 am
aly

Originally Posted by tugokc
Did some research, and the home net speed is not adequate so I went with Witopia. Its easy to use and so far have put it on two Win 7, Ipad, and a Touch in the past 24 hours. Got the top of the line product for about $40 with this coupon, lasting till 1-31.

https://activecaptain.com/newsletters/2011-01-05.php

Will find out next week how it does in MAD and FCO
thank you for the link; great pricing..!
Old Jan 19, 2011, 1:16 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, BMI Gold, Subway Sandwich Mustard and was UAL 1K for 2010, now 1K for 2011 too :)
will these also work on a Netbook or does it need more processing power ?

Rally
Old Jan 19, 2011, 1:43 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
No problem.

Have witopia on all three of my computers including a netbook. No problems.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by wpj
I use VyprVPN
I use it as well. Lets you use two different locations in the states and a few others around the world.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 7:14 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum & Million Miler. Hilton Diamond
I use HMA VPN Pro! which works very well, I can get speeds up to 12mbps on my 12mbps line (so 100% utilization) from the USVI and stream Netflix in HD. I posted a blog about it on my site here: http://www.blendblog.net/Default.asp...=36&EntryID=66. Hope this helps!
Old Apr 12, 2011, 12:57 pm

netflix offer

Do free trials qualify? or only paid trials?

So I have to wait until 30 days(free trial) plus 1-2 weeks(paid memberships) for mileages to get posted?

Thanks
Old Apr 13, 2011, 3:29 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
So when you get a VPN then you choose a country where you want your computer to be "visible" from in terms of IP, right? Is there any reason why you'd choose the country you live in for your VPN (StrongVPN offers lots of countries to choose from)?
Old Apr 13, 2011, 7:34 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by aster
So when you get a VPN then you choose a country where you want your computer to be "visible" from in terms of IP, right? Is there any reason why you'd choose the country you live in for your VPN (StrongVPN offers lots of countries to choose from)?
what does this mean? If you want to make it APPEAR that your computer is in the USA, for itunes, netflix streaming and the like, then you would need a VPN hosted/based in the USA.

Is that what you meant?
Old Apr 13, 2011, 8:06 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Yes, many thanks. ^

Also, in terms of speed is it better to get a VPN far away from home or a local one?
Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aster
Yes, many thanks. ^

Also, in terms of speed is it better to get a VPN far away from home or a local one?
Closer is generally faster, but it's moot if you're going to be accessing it from overseas. There's not much point in getting it for Netflix and the like and using it in the USA. It'll be slower and the quality worse than a direct connection.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:25 am

My favourite VPN service is Overplay.net. It's quite popular amongst Korean gamers, and let's face it, who could be more knowledgeable about VPN speeds and reliability :P

They also offer a free speed-limited VPN service that isn't identified as a VPN IP by Hulu.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 8:12 pm

Programs: Aeroflot Gold, DL Silver, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, NEXUS
HMA Pro from Moscow

I, too, use HMA Pro from my apartment in Moscow (which doesn't have a great connection - 2-3 mps) and am happy with Netflix. Also use it with Vonage Pro, which did not work withouti a US IP. Have used it from other cities in Russia/Europe/Central Asia as well

http://www.hidemyass.com/
Old Apr 15, 2011, 8:48 pm

How secure are VPNs? I mean if I go on holiday to some far away place where I don't quite trust the internet connection/hotel network admins/local ISP admins, does a VPN absolutely guarantee that nobody there can pull logins and passwords from my daily internet use when accessing email accounts, online banking, FB, etc.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
I, too, use HMA Pro from my apartment in Moscow (which doesn't have a great connection - 2-3 mps) and am happy with Netflix. Also use it with Vonage Pro, which did not work withouti a US IP. Have used it from other cities in Russia/Europe/Central Asia as well

http://www.hidemyass.com/
When I click on this link, I get this message:

Trend Micro has confirmed that this website can transmit malicious software or has been involved in online scams or fraud.

Close This Window

Please close this page.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace
When I click on this link, I get this message:

Trend Micro has confirmed that this website can transmit malicious software or has been involved in online scams or fraud.

Close This Window

Please close this page.
Assuming it's not true, Trend Micro apparently has an error in its malicious sites list.

Firefox doesn't give me a similar error. The site looks fine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.